#21 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,336 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 04 March 2009 - 2023 PM

I just found out that the antivirus Mr Virus Buster installed at the office was not only a trial version, but a pirated one, too! Idiots.

#22 Thunder

Thunder

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 1144 AM

It may not be feasable for you guys, but if you have a Windows server, you can make an AD domain and lock the PCs down. I'm fortunate to have the authority to do this and there are really no problems with users who can't install anything.

#23 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,598 posts
  • Interests:WW2, armoured combat history, 3D CGI, motorsports

Posted 15 March 2009 - 1409 PM

virae (sp?)

http://en.wikipedia...._the_form_virii

:)

#24 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,336 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 2233 PM

Overheard:

Coworker 1: Hey, I heard you have a new office computer. Where is it?

Coworker 2: Over there.

Coworker 1: Let's assemble it!

Coworker 2: But I don't know how to.

Coworker 1: I know! Let's install the OS and other programs, too!

So says Coworker 1, the person who doesn't like Firefox because IE is so much better, the same person who has called me twice at night when I'm home to ask how to fix her home 'puter because she deleted something, the very same person who deletes and uninstalls critical stuff on her computer because "she thinks it will free up space", the exact very same person who got duped in believing that the pirated, trial version antivirus she installed as suggested by Mr Virus Buster will protect her computer.

I await in glee at the results of their computer assembly and installation. I am now memorizing where the fire extinguisher is located.

Edited by TomasCTT, 17 March 2009 - 2234 PM.

#25 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

Powerpoint Ranger, Chairborne

• Members
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 0345 AM

I await in glee at the results of their computer assembly and installation. I am now memorizing where the fire extinguisher is located.

Hey, it's pretty hard to start fire by assembling a PC... Better to memorise where to get new power source, motherboard, RAM, process... Err, to cut it short, new puter :)

#26 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,336 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 0359 AM

It is happening.

All those computers with a pirated, trial version of an antivirus installed by Mr Virus Buster are experiencing problems.

Mine is running normal.

I told them so. They didn't believe me. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.

#27 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,336 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 1933 PM

So...

I hear people asking Mr Virus Buster for a new AV to install because their 'puters are full of worms.

Of course, he'll install another one that's pirated and/or trial version. :rolleyes:

Alas, these worms etc are propagated via flash drives and the utilities he's been using won't work well on them.

Too bad - for them. :lol:

EDIT:

I heard Mr Virus Buster mutter that AVG isn't worth a damn because it doesn't detect viruses, doesn't detect worms, etc etc etc. This from a guy who uses a pirated trial version of an antivirus. I find his claims surprising considering my system has AVG 8.5 (albeit only the free edition) which has been able to find and cure or at least bring threats to the vault. I guess my system is also clean because 1) I don't let anyone insert their flash drives to my 'puter, 2) I use Spybot, Ad-Aware and Windows Defender, 3) I have additional memory to handle those utilities, and 4) I regularly update them.

It's funny that Mr Virus Buster's computer which has the same amount of memory is crawling, and he has only that single pirated AV installed, whereas mine is working smoothly despite having several security programs installed and running.

EDIT #2:

BWUHAHAHAHAHAHA! I told them so!!!!! Finally, a co-worker (one of the more agreeable and respectable ones whose computer I fixed and is working smoothly) approached Mr Virus Buster and told him that the AV he (Mr Virus Buster) has been installing and the new one he is installing have both expired their trial version periods and are thus not working anymore. And what is that I heard from Mr Virus Buster who was saying that AVG was a complete POS?

Mr Virus Buster: "Hey (to other co-worker), where's that AVG 8.5 you downloaded? I need it."

And now he's quieter than ever. HAHAHAHAHAHA! Alas, the damage he has caused has resulted to several 'puters crawling and full of worms etc because they were unprotected. What, me, fix it? Nah. I'll let Mr Virus Buster do the reformating, reinstall, etc etc. He created this sh1t anyway. :D And besides, I don't think no matter how many reformating etc you do, my co-workers will continue to misuse their 'puters that they'll be infected with worms etc, legit antivirus installed or not because they fail to listen or attempt to understand the stuff I've been telling them to do.

Edited by TomasCTT, 25 March 2009 - 2058 PM.

#28 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,336 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 2000 PM

Sorry for the continued rant, but I need to vent my stress on this thread since I don't have Halo on my office 'puter.

That said...

I was asked by a coworker to connect her 'puter to the network so she could have internet. She purchased a wifi USB adapter. So I say "Ok." I head over there, install the adapter. And when I attempt to know the MAC address, the computer auto shuts down.

Uh oh.

Several tries, but her PC shutsdown when I launch CMD. I eventually boot to safe mode command prompt only, and guess what I find? A message saying "BOBO!* You think you're smart?"

Oh. Apparently her computer has a virus. I research and it's a trojan autoshutdown thingy.

And exactly how did that happen?

Well, it turns out Mr Virus Buster still couldn't swallow his pride so instead downloaded (or purchased a pirated) copy of Kapersky AV, copied it to his USB drive, connected his USB to coworker's 'puter and installed a TRIAL VERSION of Kapersky. I dunno if he has a pirated license. I mean, c'mon, if you're going to go cheap and not pay for the license, why insist on using pirated antivirus which compromises your system when there are completely freeware alternatives available? Apparently, he (and the others) do not understand that. All they know is "Have AV, am protected." Well, no. If he and the others find AVG unsatisfactory, then why not beef it up by using Spybot, Ad-Aware, Defender, etc. and downloading them flash drive disinfectors to use whenever someone sticks his or her flash drive in it? Ah... "But my computer is slow..." Bugger. PCs over here have 1GB of RAM, dual core. Slow? Because it's infected or full of crap. Laptop has only 192MB RAM. Slow? That's because you didn't bother buying a single stick of 516MB RAM at a pittance when you were given your differential amount to P25,000+ and up!

Anyway, turns out his USB drive is the carrier. So he unwittingly infects coworker's PC with the autoshutdown trojan in an attempt to install a pirated AV. Brilliant.

I was able to get her PC connected to the net. But as for cleaning it, I told her I won't touch it and let Mr Virus Buster fix her PC. After all, he has self-proclaimed that he's the virus buster. <_<

Good luck with all of them. I'd rather spend my time fixing my own net problems (at home ahehehe....), work or surfing.

* - "Bobo" means "stupid" or "idiot."

Edited by TomasCTT, 26 March 2009 - 2007 PM.

#29 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,336 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 2058 PM

Overheard:

Coworker: "Is it ok to use an internet firewall program without an antivirus?"

Mr Virus Buster: (with voice and conviction of authority) "I think the internet firewall program protects against internet viruses, while the antivirus protects against home viruses. So I think it's better you use an internet firewall program."

O. M. G.

I also overheard that he gets his advice from a computer science graduate. I dunno. If he installs trial versions and uses pirated keys, I guess the advice is sound, yes? <_< :rolleyes:

Edited by TomasCTT, 26 March 2009 - 2058 PM.

#30 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,598 posts
  • Interests:WW2, armoured combat history, 3D CGI, motorsports

Posted 06 April 2009 - 0834 AM

This sums up how I handle our network pretty well.

http://www.dilbert.com/2007-12-13/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users