Photo

Windows 8 - Microsoft Does It Again (Groan)

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#41 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 1835 PM

Using a freeware program called Soluto

http://www.filehippo...search?q=soluto

It analyzes PC configurations and start up times, and is good at identifying useless installs - Nvidia 3D Glasses mode -- and other programs its cloud feedback of other users have identified, to start up items either better removed -- or, far more useful -- delayed until the basic system has booted directly up with all the primary programs up and running.

It also offers me the -- PAY ATTENTION, INTERESTING IMPORTANT BIT -- It ALSO offers me the importunity to boot straight to the desktop instead of Windows 8 tablet format, with the left side a CLASSIC Windows Program Start/Shut Down Program List as seen before...it also offers an XP of Vista/Windows 7 Start Menu, reproduced exactly.

The left side will still do the Metro "THING", which is good for a laugh and suggestions for other movies based on the one you've just watched, Dow Jones, Latest Breaking News...

All good stuff, I now have the fastest to usable speed boot up computer ever.

Over all, it's a muther fucking Speed Demon. Current OS wise, only upgrade from now till 2014 is a solid state boot drive. Price are going to drop fast enough for me to jump on a 256 GB or 512 GB at some point.

Soluto is freeware, and I's got no stake in it...I'm just your Resident Serbian Moron tryin to help out ;)

#42 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 2026 PM

http://www.eightforums.com/ has most of the answers you'll need.

If you want 8 functionality with 7 start menu, try Classic Shell. http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

If you have 8 Pro, you can get Media Center free for a limited time. http://windows.micro...8/feature-packs

#43 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 0900 AM

"cough"XBMC"cough"

#44 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 0903 AM

Either is free.

#45 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 1719 PM

One blows the other out of the water, is always free, is far more developed, customization ready, and has the largest Media Centre user and developer base in the history of existence there online 24/7 in support.

Minor matters.

#46 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 1725 PM

Good suggestion, though, especially to those Windows Happy. I play with Hacintosh's and Linux distros, but WMC is not without worth.

Currently, I'm as Windows happy since windows 2000, more maybe.

MediaPortal is however a perfect alternative to WMC, is Windows only, is free and worth a look.

Edited by Typhoid Maxx, 01 November 2012 - 1825 PM.

#47 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 0635 AM

As a strange quirk, the media player in my car likes the format of WMC ripped MP3. Not sure why my car is so picky, but it's why I stick with it.

#48 T19

T19

Love Life, hate Taxes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,579 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 1246 PM

Dos 4 likes the additional command lines
Skipped 5
Dos 6. Really good and stable
Windows 2.0. Omg what an ugly user interface. Very Mac like
Windows 2.4. More stable. Better apps using page maker
Windows 3.0 omg what junk
Win 3.1. All the fixes for 30. Much better
Win 3.11 for work groups. Yes networking issues but easy to fix
Agree with Richard on the rest

#49 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 0629 AM

I helped Microsoft in Sweden with a demo and there are some cool things to Windows 8, one thing is the Windows to go which is a computer on a USB stick. Just pop it in and boot the computer you're sitting at and you're on a win8 connected to your work network. We didn't try the network for real but the other things worked like a charm, a Lenovo X61 with Vista rebooted to win8 under a minute.

/R

#50 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,285 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 1101 AM

I read a review of the Microsoft Surface which said the boot times are so fast, there's no point to suspending or hybernating. Nice!

The purported MSRP of the Surface is pretty steep, though.

The "Portable Windows" thing might be good for tablets & laptops, where you could use a thumb drive on your keychain to store a separate Windows 8 instance to use just for personal banking & online shopping. If someone steals your portable, no worries.

#51 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 1324 PM

I spent most of the morning trying to get Win8Pro on the promotion for $14.99 after buying a new PC. An hour and a half on the website and then another hour on the phone with drones resulted in "You can't have it for anything less than the full price and we don't know why".
Microsoft has to have some of the most mindless employees in the world.
"My promo code is invalid"
"Can you try it again?"
"it is still invalid"
"Can you wait and try it again?"
"it is still invalid"
"Sir, can you please try it again?"
and so forth and so on...
Finally, "we can sell it to you at the regular price"
needless to say I declined...

#52 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,285 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 1812 PM

It sucks you went through that, but I'm glad you posted your anecdote. I signed up for the Win8 promotion since I bought a netbook recently, and have been considering buying the discounted Win8 early next year just in case they get their sheisse together in terms of the GUI. Now I know it may or may not happen...

#53 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 1444 PM

My company has a rep through Tiger Direct that handles out IT needs and she says the promotion is mostly bunk, very few of her customers have been able to successfully redeem it. Her best advise was the Win8 Pro DVD which is around $139 for the first 90 days then goes WAY up. I don't want it that badly...

#54 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 1525 PM

TTTN, I really don't think that Win 8 sets itself up well for business.

#55 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 2031 PM

http://www.channelre...low_win8_sales/

I have no plans to get 8 on my PC in the foreseeable future.

However I'll be getting a win 8 phone as soon as Samsung get theirs to the US market and may also get a win 8 tablet at some point in the next few months.

#56 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,285 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 2239 PM

TTTN, I really don't think that Win 8 sets itself up well for business.

Obviously, these days even a budget desktop can kick Win7's butt, so corporate desktops running on real HW on real desks don't benefit from Win8's efficiency.

For big organizations that have converted to VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, where you have a "thin client" i.e. a smart terminal in the cubes and a virtual PC running on a server), the efficiency of the Win8 core can make a big difference in CPU, RAM, power, and cooling.

But geez the labor cost of getting all your cube coolies trained up on Win8 must be out of this world.

For SMBs, I wouldn't touch Win8 with a 10 foot pole. Except maybe laptops and tablets.

#57 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 0840 AM

My goal was to use the Win8 upgrade for my own personal use as an "internet gateway" to try to keep the business computers off line as much as possible but the idea was mostly driven by the low price of the Win8 upgrade as much as it was any real need. All the store PC's are still on XP Pro and I know that can't last forever. I have two Win7 units at home and like them a lot but hate to give them up to upgrade the store. Money's too tight to buy all new for the store right now given that everything here does work

#58 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 0940 AM

TTTN, if what you have works, I'd stick with it. Win 8 is super fast on my home machine, but I had to do some tweaking to get it more user friendly.

#59 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,746 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 1110 AM

TTTN, if what you have works, I'd stick with it. Win 8 is super fast on my home machine, but I had to do some tweaking to get it more user friendly.

With or without the SSD?

#60 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 1245 PM

With or without the SSD?

I only have used it with the SSD, but performance is improved over my Win 7 install with the same hardware.