• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

I offer safe passage through the wasteland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,569 posts
  • Interests:Killing, killing is the solution!

Posted 18 October 2010 - 0517 AM

Right around the 5:30 mark, the TV guy hauls out what ATB a SAW sized 30mm grenade launcher, presumably using the Sov 30mm high pressure round. This could be a useful thing, anyone know any more about it? S/F....Ken M

#2 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

Powerpoint Ranger, Chairborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,961 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 0528 AM

RAG-30 designed in Slovakia.
http://www.czechweap...auncher-rag-30/

#3 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,163 posts
  • Interests:You seriously DO NOT want to know.

Posted 18 October 2010 - 0539 AM

Sch-weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Be pretty natty with an increased box/drum and a laser pointer or wide holo sight.

#4 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 0613 AM

http://www.czechweap...auncher-sag-30/

SAG-30, semi auto version looks to be similar. Recoil looks substantial, although probably much less of a problem firing wearing body armour. API type open bolt firing would undoubtedly reduce recoil but I wonder how accuracy would be? A buffer type stock would help also.

This, or something like it, is certainly the better answer to long range direct fire engagements by infantry. S/F......Ken M

Edited by EchoFiveMike, 18 October 2010 - 0614 AM.

#5 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,151 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 18 October 2010 - 0646 AM

I could use one at the office.

#6 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 0654 AM

800m range. 30 lbs. loaded weight, and any significant amount of ammo much more than that. Sure a dismount could carry it, but I wouldn't want to be that guy.

XM308/312 is only slightly heavier and has much more capability.

#7 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 0703 AM

I could use one at the office.

I think the UN have a resolution vis a vis you and grenades of ANY type.

#8 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 0704 AM

I checked; they have. Covers claymore mines, letter openers and push pins as well.

#9 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,332 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 18 October 2010 - 0714 AM

I checked; they have. Covers claymore mines, letter openers and push pins as well.

Flamethrowers are exempted, however.

BOT: nice gun! But a muzzle brake would be useful, IMHO.

Edited by sunday, 18 October 2010 - 0717 AM.

#10 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 0731 AM

BOT: nice gun! But a muzzle brake would be useful, IMHO.

Actually, I'm not all that sure a muzzle break would be of much use looking at those vids...don't seem to be producing that much of a high intensity propellant release recoil on the muzzle...

OT: No one said the UN made any sense. Forget the flamethrowers, he's ALLOWED to practice law. On behalf of the public. Think about it. Unsettling, isn't it?

#11 Doug Kibbey

Doug Kibbey

Self Absorbed Nostalgia Monger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 0801 AM

http://www.czechweapons.com/en/products/military-weapons/hand-held-grenade-launcher-sag-30/

SAG-30, semi auto version looks to be similar. Recoil looks substantial

...it sure does. To the point that full auto seems pointless unless vehicular mounted. Semi-auto makes more sense for boot-mounted fellows.

#12 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 0827 AM

800m range. 30 lbs. loaded weight, and any significant amount of ammo much more than that. Sure a dismount could carry it, but I wouldn't want to be that guy.

XM308/312 is only slightly heavier and has much more capability.

Same footprint as a M240G minus tripod. I carried M2 receiver on a 15mi march once, admittedly back in the PASGT days, and it could be doable if you skip all the bullshit and just run a plate carrier or BALCS armour(which you'll want for recoil anyways). 30mm AGS range is 1700m, I'd wager this thing goes just as far. Give it modern sights, like an Aimpoint micro and it'll be golden.

XM307 is still vaporware. 50cal isn't a bursting munition. 50cals are fine if you have a vehicle to carry ammo; if not, there's no point. Vs troops, I'll take a Mk 19 over a 50cal everyday and twice on Sunday. S/F.....Ken M

#13 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 0939 AM

Give it modern sights, like an Aimpoint micro and it'll be golden.

But not a wide holographic sight? Just asking as to your why of the reasoning, you being more experienced on the subject.

#14 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 1043 AM

Its already heavy and bulky without adding fancy sights. Most AGL engagements are "walk it in to close enough". They aren't precision weapons.

Edited by JamesG123, 18 October 2010 - 1046 AM.

#15 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

Now is the winter of our discontent

• Members
  • 30,859 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 18 October 2010 - 1059 AM

If the Russians want to sell military gear, they need to take a lesson from American defense contractors and use power-chording guitar rock rather than orchestral music. ;)

I can see the appeal of a 30mm autoloader in a vehicle mount, assuming the mount was sufficiently rigid. There's the Mogadishu scenario, plus it looks like it would function well in area denial. And who knows, a rubber buckshot load would come in handy when the "anarchists" are demonstrating against G8, or IMF, or whatever. For leg infantry, I'm not seeing it. Out to say 400 meters I would think you'd want better first round accuracy + a heavier shell, essentially a "grenade sniper" versus a "grenade hose". Adding 5-10 kilos of linked 30mm LV grenade ammo to everything else seems rather iffy.

Can't help but think that this kind of weapon tends to be a solution to the problem of infantry losing its organic small artillery (for one reason or another). Radio comms are better than ever, yet the ability to call up local mortar fire seems to be going away.

#16 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 1105 AM

Combination of elements operating over wide areas and often out from under their organic mortars (because they are dug in on the FOB and not mobile in the field) and commanders hesitant to release any indirect fires due to ROEs.

Edited by JamesG123, 18 October 2010 - 1106 AM.

#17 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

Now is the winter of our discontent

• Members
  • 30,859 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 18 October 2010 - 1250 PM

Combination of elements operating over wide areas and often out from under their organic mortars (because they are dug in on the FOB and not mobile in the field) ...

Isn't that an argument for truck-based or LAV-based mortars/weapons platoons? In the (FOB + leg patrol) scenario, at some point isn't it wise to have some mobile support? I know in this brave new world of IEDs, commands don't want to send vehicles down roads any more, but doing so would seem to leverage the infantry a lot better.

#18 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

Powerpoint Ranger, Chairborne

• Members
  • 15,961 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 1304 PM

Nah, it's an argument for multi-bajillion-dollar indirect fire container with ultra-precision guided missiles :ph34r:

#19 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 1739 PM

But not a wide holographic sight? Just asking as to your why of the reasoning, you being more experienced on the subject.

http://www.mountsplu.../AIM-11830.html

It's small, durable, night vision compatible and has a battery life of 10,000hrs at full power. The holo sights, none of the above.

James, I disagree. I've had Marine who hit moving vehicles w/40mm and routinely put 1st rd right on top of the savages. Walking in applies when you don't have to manpack the ammo or you have a sloppy T&E on your Mk 19. Any grenade round, but especially HEDP M433, just doesn't have the bursting radius to be sloppy with aiming.

Ivanhow, agree, although even with perfect IDF support, I still want all the direct fire HE throwers I can get my hands on. A semi-auto action has some recoil absorbing qualities, but belt fed makes no sense to me. Looking at the AGS-30/AGS-17 video gives an idea of how flimsy that thing really is. It shakes like a dog passing a peach pit. Any round after #1 is lucky to land in the same time zone as the target. S/F.....Ken M

#20 Rubberanvil

Rubberanvil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Posted 18 October 2010 - 1755 PM

If the Russians want to sell military gear, they need to take a lesson from American defense contractors and use power chording guitar rock rather than orchestral music. ;)

Power chording guitar rock is almost a downgrade when there is already (insert flavor) metal orchestral music.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users