• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#181 Gregory

Gregory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,399 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 1705 PM

Were drum magazines for AK's (either 7.62mm or 5.45mm type) ever produced and deployed in numbers?  Even the Calico design with the tube magazines didn't seem overly common as far as I have seen from pictures.  

7.62 drums are quite common.  5.45 drums have recently been beed made commercially in low quantities and as test articles by Soviets.

#182 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 1107 AM

Thanks all for your informative replies on drum magazines. 

I have seen a few pictures of the RPK-16 (prototype model perhaps) with a drum magazine housing 95 rounds, 45-round box magazines or more standard 30 round magazines as well.  However technically I suppose this is classed more as a light machine gun rather than an assault rifle - designed to replace the RPK-74 series of weapons.

The Swedish also came up with their CBJ-MS personal defence weapon which has, as an option, a 100 round drum.  Very impressive for such a small firearm!  Should it ever actually enter up being purchased and deployed by anyone, it would be most interesting to see if anyone used the drum or stuck with its standard 20 and 30 round magazines instead. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users