Video: M27 Critique By Former Marine User

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,700 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 16 January 2018 - 2203 PM

In a strange paradox, ye olde system of individual purchase weapons should come back with units able to BUY what they need from a list of approved STUFF. It happens to a degree (getting NSN) but I can see how this degrades bureaucracy and their reach. I am surprised they would still issue 249s in a LMG role but that could have come out of the convoluted back door mess that was the M60/M240 business.

#82 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 23,211 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 17 January 2018 - 0820 AM

Not entirely relevant to the M27 discussion, but the point has been made that, if you were making something to fulfil the M27's role today, it wouldn't be an M27. These two knowledgeable people have looked at how you might build an infantry carbine and rifle (initially a rifle and DMR, but later reclassified to carbine and rifle) today using commercially available technology. It comes with all the usual caveats, but I found it really interesting:

#83 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 19,514 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 17 January 2018 - 0917 AM

Their builds have been completely reliable through the knocking around of several rather vigorous matches, with no maintenance other than lube. There are links in the sidebar of the above video.

Edited by shep854, 17 January 2018 - 1740 PM.

#84 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 23,211 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 1014 AM

Their builds have been completely reliable through the knocking around of several rather vigorous matches, with no maintenance other thsn lube. There are links in the sidebar of the above video.

I have greatly enjoyed following the series. Both are obviously experts and very eloquent, personable and immensely entertaining. My only real problem with their concept is they haven't addressed fitting bayonets because they assert that bayonets are obsolete. I have heard various (and quite possibly all :) ) arguments to that effect over the years, but honestly remain unconvinced. The best I have heard is that, given the choice between something heavy that takes a bayonet and something light that doesn't, light will almost always win out.

#85 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,655 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 1708 PM

And then carry a sword?

#86 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 22,700 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 1928 PM

bayo lug? Why?

#87 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 23,211 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 1250 PM

And then carry a sword?

A skeletonised, carb9n fibre one with a ceramic edge.

#88 JW Collins

JW Collins

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 0008 AM

I'm wishing HK would drop their reverse Keymod and go with M-LOK like everybody else. Maybe if the Marines throw enough piles of money at them they will do it for an improved M27A1?

#89 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 22,700 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 0102 AM

They make it for CAG. Special order.

#90 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,667 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 2235 PM

I'm wishing HK would drop their reverse Keymod and go with M-LOK like everybody else. Maybe if the Marines throw enough piles of money at them they will do it for an improved M27A1?

H&K manufactures what the customer wants. The USMC wants that big fat quad rail and bayonet logs, so they get it. Of course they prefer to offer their own proprietary system to have vendor lock-in of course.

When the custome r is so dumb not to specify anyhgn else *shrug*

They make it for CAG. Special order.

Exactly. For the CSASS program H&K put a M-Lok handguard on the M110A1. As the customer wished.

#91 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 22,700 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 0223 AM

MCHQ just needs to send a task force into the Pentagon and basically get all the paperwork approved at gunpoint. Truculent staffers can be coerced by blowing out an eardrum.

#92 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 22,700 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 0316 AM

Of note is the decision by the Russians to bifurcate their combat rifle purchases not only by calibre but also by model.
In addition to keeping both 5.45 and 7.62x39, they are also buying both AK-12/15 from Ishevsk as well as 6P67/8 from Kovrov.
The latter has the balanced action which smoothens out cyclic firing and is something I would very much like to try out.
The expectation is that the 6P67 will go to special operations forces who can better exploit the advantages.
Unlike some other continuous recoil weapons, these have a high cyclic rate which should give tight burst patterns which may well make them rather handy as autorifles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users