• PipPip
  • 11,661 posts
  • Interests:Miltary history and technology, flying, wargaming

Posted 10 October 2018 - 0340 AM

American Heritage Museum

6 October 2018

https://adinexplorat...6-october-2018/

Random thoughts:

• Very, very cool to see these World War II vehicles in motion.
  • The simulated battles are silly; they look like 8-year old boys playing war.
  • A pleasure to meet TN's own Manic Moran in person.
  • It's fine to see Nazi uniforms and weapons on static display. Reenactors wearing Nazi uniforms gives me the creeps. I'm not saying that the reenactors embrace the ideology. But the fanboi element is there.
  • Enjoy the photos.
  • The museum contains a subset of the what used to be the Littlefield collection.

#2 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,141 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 0643 AM

It's fine to see Nazi uniforms and weapons on static display. Reenactors wearing Nazi uniforms gives me the creeps. I'm not saying that the reenactors embrace the ideology. But the fanboi element is there.

The fanboy thing creeps me out often as well.  But then who had the cool black uniform and jackboots? :(

As long as they only play pretend bad boy it is not dangerous I guess.

In the ww2 game Post Scriptum there is of course a LSSAH clan. Inevitable. :wacko: 

so back to the museum anyone taken any more photos there?

#3 Manic Moran

Manic Moran

Mad Irish Tanking Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,506 posts
  • Interests:Blowing things up, scale modelling, wargaming.

Posted 11 October 2018 - 1047 AM

The problem with the Battle for the Airfield is that it takes place on an actual airfield . As a result, they cannot install obstacles, terrain features, or maneuver tanks which will destroy the grass strip. It does require some suspension of disbelief.

#4 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,841 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 11 October 2018 - 1155 AM

The problem with the Battle for the Airfield is that it takes place on an actual airfield . As a result, they cannot install obstacles, terrain features, or maneuver tanks which will destroy the grass strip. It does require some suspension of disbelief.

To be fair, any reenactment requires suspension of disbelief :)

#5 Martin M

Martin M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 1219 PM

"Battle for the Airfield"

It´s not only in bad taste, it is ridiculous.

For the Americans to wear the original equipment and gear, and demonstrate gear as well as vehicles is fine; not athing to be said against.

But,

(The mock battle with dressed up Germans cranking clumsily around on the bolt action of the 98, going bang bang and yelling "Feuer"  is ridiculous at least. )

But it is not a very important thing.

A " gefundenes Fressen " (NTF = no translation fitting) for German public TV it would be.

Edited by Martin M, 11 October 2018 - 1242 PM.

#6 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,248 posts
  • Interests:WW2 Armor (mostly US)

Posted 12 October 2018 - 0802 AM

I did the re-enacting thing for a very long time and never got used to the German uniforms.  The first time I ever crewed a tank I would have gunned them down with live ammo had the chance presented itself.  The Germans there were good and looked just like the real thing.  It was a powerful experience.  As time went by I came to realize that the entire experience couldn't exist without the German re-enactors.  The entire military vehicle hobby owes a debt to the re-enactor community because it is one of the driving forces that keeps vehicles running and operating.

Putting on a show battle is a lot different from anything else and yes, they are often absurd.  The object is to show the machinery in some form of operation.

Having had the privilege of doing re-enactments with and for numerous WW2 veterans (not numerous any more) and having never heard any objection back actual participants I think the "insult to history" angle may just be a tad overblown.

If you want to insult history, look how the US Army treats its mechanical heritage.

I've posted for years here that the vehicle collections that Tank Automotive Command is responsible for would be in far better hands if it was all given to the French or the Russians.  It has been true and will remain so.

#7 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,841 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 12 October 2018 - 0833 AM

I have no objection to folk who want to dress up as the Waffen SS on weekends, and I can see real value in it. Whether I'd want to associate with someone who did that is another matter.

#8 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,141 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 1332 PM

I have no objection to folk who want to dress up as the Waffen SS on weekends, and I can see real value in it. Whether I'd want to associate with someone who did that is another matter.

i think it very much depends on the individual and how he relates to it.

#9 Manic Moran

Manic Moran

Mad Irish Tanking Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,506 posts
  • Interests:Blowing things up, scale modelling, wargaming.

Posted 12 October 2018 - 1415 PM

At 1:38 in this video, we interviewed a Jewish re-enactor, in a Fallshirmjaeger unit.

https://youtu.be/d4HE3omhKVw?t=100

#10 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,248 posts
  • Interests:WW2 Armor (mostly US)

Posted 12 October 2018 - 1427 PM

I always wanted to see them make the paratrooper re-enactors jump.

I mean, we tankers have to do tank track.  Get some C47's or some Ju52's lined up and "let's go boys!"

#11 Adam Peter

Adam Peter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • Interests:history, music

Posted 12 October 2018 - 1500 PM

i think it very much depends on the individual and how he relates to it.

Movies need bad guys, too, but not the real kind :) SS is universal bad, but there are other quite intense roles, when some people of a given nation play the role of their arch-enemies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users