160 replies to this topic

#41 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,449 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 11 May 2015 - 0946 AM

And that's reported in the press.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is some conspiracy, just sheer press incompetence of Biblical proportions.

#42 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,449 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 1209 PM

Well as far as the UK any media, this doesnt take much in the way of effort. :D

Fixed. :)

#43 Charles

Charles

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • Interests:AFV, Military History

Posted 11 May 2015 - 1222 PM

Well as far as the UK any media, this doesnt take much in the way of effort. :D

Fixed. :)

Isn't that the truth.  :(

Charles

#44 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,467 posts
  • Interests:Military history in general

Posted 11 May 2015 - 1309 PM

And that's reported in the press.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is some conspiracy, just sheer press incompetence of Biblical proportions.

i.e. SOP.

#45 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

Powerpoint Ranger, Chairborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 0020 AM

As for newsies... Our news services reported on it, but...

But spent far more time on the case of a Czech libertarian trying to create his own country on the border between Serbia and Croatia (IIRC Serbia acknowledges border as through middle of Danube and Croatia as a hypothetical straight line, so there are bits that according to Serbian rule belong to Croatia and according to Croatian rule to Serbia). He used one such river meander to establish his "Liberland". Sigh...

#46 Yama

Yama

The only honest Scorpion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 0510 AM

As for newsies... Our news services reported on it, but...

But spent far more time on the case of a Czech libertarian trying to create his own country on the border between Serbia and Croatia (IIRC Serbia acknowledges border as through middle of Danube and Croatia as a hypothetical straight line, so there are bits that according to Serbian rule belong to Croatia and according to Croatian rule to Serbia). He used one such river meander to establish his "Liberland". Sigh...

Did it work?
There is similar area between Sudan and Egypt. It's pretty substantial too, but as it's surrounded by both countries, it looks like no other country is able to claim it.

#47 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

Powerpoint Ranger, Chairborne

• Members
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 0654 AM

Well it is still ion being worked, but tbh the guy seems a bit delusional :D i guess the only effect will be Serbia and Croatia finally settling on a common definiton of border. Many countries have such bits of land (heck, just look at recent transfer of some Czech clay to Poland).

#48 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,449 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 0735 AM

Last thing I heard he got arrested by Croats, then released.

OTOH, that piece of real estate was army range in '50/60s.

Edited by bojan, 12 May 2015 - 0736 AM.

#49 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,449 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 2002 PM

Kosovo, funeral of some of terrorist from Macedonia.

YvKYCgS.jpg

AovRiPd.jpg

6RZF5bh.jpg

Nothing to see here, move along.

#50 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,946 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 0844 AM

Romania PM Ponta resigns over Bucharest nightclub fire

8 minutes ago

Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta has resigned after some 20,000 people took to the streets to protest over a nightclub fire that killed 32 people.

Friday night's blaze in Bucharest started when a band performing at the club set off fireworks inside.

Demonstrators called for Mr Ponta to step down, complaining of government corruption and poor safety supervision.

"I'm handing in my mandate, I'm resigning, and implicitly my government too," Mr Ponta said in a statement.

"I hope the government's resignation will satisfy the people who came out in the streets," he added.

Ponta under fire

In September, Mr Ponta became the first sitting Romanian prime minister to go on trial charged with corruption. He faces allegations of fraud, tax evasion and money laundering.

He denies the charges and has accused prosecutors of being "totally unprofessional".

He was one of three people who resigned under pressure from the protesters. They also singled out the mayor of the Bucharest district, where the nightclub fire occurred, and the country's interior minister.

The protesters chanted "shame on you" and "assassins", and carried banners reading "corruption kills".

[...]

http://www.bbc.com/n...europe-34720183

#51 tomcat_1974

tomcat_1974

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 1023 AM

Romania PM Ponta resigns over Bucharest nightclub fire

8 minutes ago

Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta has resigned after some 20,000 people took to the streets to protest over a nightclub fire that killed 32 people.

Friday night's blaze in Bucharest started when a band performing at the club set off fireworks inside.

Demonstrators called for Mr Ponta to step down, complaining of government corruption and poor safety supervision.

"I'm handing in my mandate, I'm resigning, and implicitly my government too," Mr Ponta said in a statement.

"I hope the government's resignation will satisfy the people who came out in the streets," he added.

Ponta under fire

In September, Mr Ponta became the first sitting Romanian prime minister to go on trial charged with corruption. He faces allegations of fraud, tax evasion and money laundering.

He denies the charges and has accused prosecutors of being "totally unprofessional".

He was one of three people who resigned under pressure from the protesters. They also singled out the mayor of the Bucharest district, where the nightclub fire occurred, and the country's interior minister.

The protesters chanted "shame on you" and "assassins", and carried banners reading "corruption kills".

[...]

http://www.bbc.com/n...europe-34720183

Took him a god awful long time ... He is under investigation for corruption as we speak... honorable is not what I would call him.

#52 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 23,279 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 05 November 2015 - 0007 AM

Revolutsiya!

#53 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,946 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 0717 AM

World | Wed Dec 2, 2015 6:38am EST Related: WORLD, RUSSIA

NATO invites Montenegro to join alliance, defying Russia

BRUSSELS | BY ROBIN EMMOTT AND SABINE SIEBOLD

NATO invited tiny Montenegro on Wednesday to join the military alliance in its first expansion since 2009, defying Russian warnings that enlargement of the U.S.-led bloc further into the Balkans is "irresponsible" action that undermines trust.

In a scripted session at NATO's headquarters in Brussels, Montenegro's Foreign Minister Igor Luksic strode into the imposing conference hall to loud applause from his peers as NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg declared: "This is the beginning of a very beautiful alliance."

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said the decision to invite Montenegro was not directed at Russia. "NATO is not a threat to anyone ... it is a defensive alliance, it is simply meant to provide security," Kerry told a news conference. "It is not focused on Russia or anyone else."

NATO diplomats said the decision sends a message to Moscow that it does not have a veto on the alliance's eastwards expansion, even if Georgia's membership bid has been complicated by its 2008 war with Russia.

Moscow opposes any NATO extension to former communist areas of eastern and southeastern Europe, part of an east-west struggle for influence over former Soviet satellites that is at the center of the crisis in Ukraine.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said in September that any expansion of NATO was "a mistake, even a provocation". In comments to Russian media then, he said NATO's so-called open door policy was "an irresponsible policy that undermines the determination to build a system of equal and shared security in Europe."

RIA news agency cited a Russian senator as saying on Wednesday that Russia will end joint projects with Montenegro if the ex-Communist country joins the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation. The Adriatic state of 650,000 people is expected to become a member formally next year.

Viktor Ozerov, head of the Russian Federation Council's defense and safety committee, said the projects which could be axed included those in military areas, RIA reported.

[...]

http://www.reuters.c...TIEXI7rTsolJ.99

#54 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,449 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 0754 AM

There is gonna be shitstorm in Montenegro over this.

#55 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,060 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 0805 AM

What is Montenegro to add to NATO, apart from a load of problems?

#56 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,946 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 0813 AM

A cheap and safe opportunity to demonstrate to Russia it has no veto on NATO accessions? :)

I wasn't aware that there was an element of dissent over membership in the Montenegrian unrest until recently. Which has led me to question whether a) it was retconned into the general dissatisfaction with the government or b) if the general dissatisfaction was cooked up as a vehicle to throw a spanner into the accession plans.

Edited by BansheeOne, 02 December 2015 - 0813 AM.

#57 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,449 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 0903 AM

It is general not-likeness for NATO (1999, strong historical ties to Russia etc). Even a lot of those that otherwise support ruling party are very hostile to the idea of joining NATO. Hence there will be no referendum about it, hence there will be shitstorm (I hope there will be no blood, but there is no guarantee).

#58 tomcat_1974

tomcat_1974

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 0921 AM

What is Montenegro to add to NATO, apart from a load of problems?

it is not what it add... but an opportunity for them to join...
You guys still go about the only notion for a country to join as being the pissing X country that had some ties..

It is a military alliance... defense pact ... what ever./..

#59 ink

ink

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Interests:Military stuff, political stuff, history stuff, beer.

Posted 02 December 2015 - 1129 AM

It is general not-likeness for NATO (1999, strong historical ties to Russia etc). Even a lot of those that otherwise support ruling party are very hostile to the idea of joining NATO. Hence there will be no referendum about it, hence there will be shitstorm (I hope there will be no blood, but there is no guarantee).

Bojan, are the anti-NATO and pro-NATO camps divided along pro-Serb-anti-Serb lines? I know nothing about Montenegro's politics.

#60 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 18,275 posts
  • Interests:Tank recovery

Posted 02 December 2015 - 1139 AM

Colleague of mine who is spending every summer in Montenegro described mood of his friends there as “Yes we do not like NATO but now we are in the middle of NATO and EU, we are small state – so too late to be pro-Russian, we have to join NATO”.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users