#41 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,064 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 17 January 2005 - 0747 AM

After the exams, I'll be reading Harold Coyle's "Code of Honor." I hope it's as good as Team Yankee. I noticed, this is the second book I've read by Coyle and in the opening chapter, he always has a young inexperienced 2LT that is new to the unit.

#42 Colin Williams

Colin Williams

Faible Tonnage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,394 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 0107 AM

It was Churchill in the bedroom with the whiskey bottle.

View Post

Then I could use some of whatever he was drinking! :D

#43 ShotMagnet

ShotMagnet

Intercalating

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 0253 AM

Started, then abandoned Teeth of the Tiger. Clancy doesn't do it for me, anymore.

Started a series my sister bought me, by George R. R. Martin. Duty is the only compulsion I'm finding to keep reading. After I finish I'm going to read some William Manchester. I owe it to myself.

Doing a lot more writing than reading, though.

Shot

#44 Jeff

Jeff

Drum beating laughing boy

• Members
  • 27,039 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 1038 AM

Just finished the January edition of Penthouse Forum

View Post

"The coed and I were getting hot and heavy in the shower when her teamates from the field hockey team came in and started stripping...."

That's some fine literature!

#45 JTGWalker

JTGWalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 1800 PM

Stalin: Court of the Red Tsar by Simon Sebag Montefiore

I have enjoyed Robert K Massie and Antony Beevor in the past.

Also enjoyed Martin van Creveld's The Sword and the Olive, about the IDF.

#46 Brasidas

Brasidas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,568 posts
  • Interests:Slinging Terrorist Ilk real far

Posted 18 January 2005 - 1811 PM

Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed.

Jared Diamond.

The Seduction of Unreason.

Richard Wolin.

The Simpsons and Philosophy: The D'oh! of Homer

William Irwin, et al.

#47 Guest_aevans_*

Guest_aevans_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2005 - 1818 PM

Rereading Strategic Assessment in War.

#48 ABNredleg

ABNredleg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Interests:Military History

Posted 19 January 2005 - 1509 PM

An outstanding book I've now read several times.

I haven't read any of the Flashman books, but please do find a copy of his THE COMPLETE MCAUSLAN" when you're done QUARTERED SAFE. It's a compendium of three books, all of which, while being "fictionalized", stand as his own experience in a postwar Highland regiment as a junior officer (where QUARTERED SAFE leaves off). I was struck by so much (I'm half-Scot) that I wrote a note on email to the publisher... about two months later I received a very nice handwritten card from GMF himself.

View Post

I've read all of the Mcauslan books - I enjoyed them just as much as the Flashman series.

#49 Michael Eastes

Michael Eastes

Trans-Dimensional Monarchist Ilk

• Members
  • 17,913 posts
  • Interests:God in His universe/amateur theology, my family, history, bass guitar, painting military miniatures,etc.

Posted 19 January 2005 - 1635 PM

I don't remember if it's already been mentioned, but anyone who likes tanks and has never read "Brazen Chariots" by Robert Crisp should really find a copy ASAP. Possibly the best tank memoir ever.

#50 Stevely

Stevely

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,535 posts
  • Interests:varied

Posted 20 January 2005 - 2252 PM

Right now I am jumping back and forth between The Lessons of Terror by Caleb Carr and Thunder Run by David Zucchino. So far, so good but I just started them.

#51 BP

BP

Kulak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,841 posts
  • Interests:Tanks. No shit.

Posted 21 January 2005 - 1648 PM

Right now I am jumping back and forth between The Lessons of Terror by Caleb Carr and Thunder Run by David Zucchino. So far, so good but I just started them.

View Post

Thunder Run is amazing. Even more amazing is how little has really come about about that battle- som eheroic, desperate stuff.

Just got His Excellency , about George Washington, by Jospeh P. Ellis. Also got The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. Picked up Theodroe Rex, but read that after the first book.

#52 Jeff

Jeff

Drum beating laughing boy

• Members
  • 27,039 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 1717 PM

Just got His Excellency , about George Washington, by Jospeh P. Ellis. 

View Post

Another excellent book on GW is Washington: the Indispensable Man by James Thomas Flexner

#53 BP

BP

Kulak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,841 posts
  • Interests:Tanks. No shit.

Posted 21 January 2005 - 1756 PM

Another excellent book on GW is Washington: the Indispensable Man by James Thomas Flexner

View Post

Yup, true. I read that a while back. Kind of on a presidential kick the past few months I guess

#54 Stevely

Stevely

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 2342 PM

Thunder Run is amazing. Even more amazing is how little has really come about about that battle- som eheroic, desperate stuff.

Just got His Excellency , about George Washington, by Jospeh P. Ellis.  Also got The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. Picked up Theodroe Rex, but read that after the first book.

View Post

Slightly over 24 hours after I bought Thunder Run I finished it on the plane tonight. It was really amazing, highly recommend it to everyone. Riveting. You're right, so little has been publically discussed about the battle, given what really happened there I find it surprising. Maybe because it reflects well on American troops... in any case, I remember the run on the news and the reports of the frenzied battles along Highway 8 but nothing did justice what really happened. It was really desparate and there were many heroes during that battle.

A sort of side issue from the book, the troops were all suspicious of drug use by the Iraqis, nothing else seemed to explain the insane willingness to die combined with the utter stupidity of the way they fought. I wonder just how widespread this practice has become amongst the jihadis? Hashisheen all over again, it seems.

Now it's on to The Lessons of Terror.

#55 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 21,432 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 22 January 2005 - 0926 AM

Thunder Run is excellent. The author does a great job covering the many aspects of the Brigade fight.

Right now reading a rather splendid little book by Kein Dockery, Weapons of SEALS. From their knives to their explosives. Really very interesting.

I'm thinking a swimming pool and M3A2 'offensive' grenades to loosen tongues.

#56 Andy_R

Andy_R

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Napoleonic to post cold war, guns, computer games, politics,

Posted 24 January 2005 - 2153 PM

"Masters of Chaos, Linda Robinson, The Secert History of the Special Forces".
I've read through Desert Storm. Interesting look behind the scenes and their training / missions. So far it's holding my interest. Only have time for a chapter a night.

#57 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,275 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 27 January 2005 - 1151 AM

I have to agree Thunder Run was amazing I couldn't put it down. I also had a rather jarring moment when I came across the name of guy I knew back when he first came into the Army. It was strange to read about a guy I remembered as a geeky annoying private leading a platoon in combat as a platoon sgt.

I'm just starting to read I Will Bear Witness by Victor Klemperer. It's a translation of the journals of a German Jew who thanks to his non-Jewish wife and service in the first world war managed to avoid being sent to the camps and was able to keep a journal through the whole third reich period. The first volume starts in 1933 and concludes in 1941. So far it is quite interesting, and yes he is related to the guy who played Col. Klink in Hogan's Heros.

Finally I recently finished Brothers in Arms by Kareem Abdul Jabar, it's about an all black independent tank battalion that was part of the 3rd army. It is quite good, although it is a bit Belton Cooperish in places. I'd recommend checking it out from the library as opposed to buying it.

#58 Stevely

Stevely

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 1325 PM

Harold -

Did you know Werner Klemperer took the Col Klink role in part to get revenge on the Nazis? He didn't need the TV work, he was an accomplished opera singer.

#59 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,275 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 28 January 2005 - 1157 AM

Yup, I read some where or the other that he insisted that Klink be a complete baffoon. IIRC several of the recurring German roles were played by Austrians or Germans who took a great deal of pleasure sending up the NAZIs.

#60 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 0507 AM

I.R.S. publications, forms, etc. about 401K's, I.R.A.'s, residential real estate and commerical real estate. NOTHING can put you asleep faster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users