12 replies to this topic

#1 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 2044 PM

I think that Remington is unique in having this particular barrel profile in their lineup. Supposedly it increases rigidity while reducing overall weight. But I would imagine that, if it was such an advance, then everyone would be making these. So, is it more gimmick than actual improvement or is there something to this?

HkXJBWul.jpg

#2 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,281 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 2128 PM

Any type of fluting, including this triangular approach, can be a good thing. But you always have to ask, good compared to what?

I am going to guess that machining 3 flats on a round barrel is much cheaper to mass-produce than 6 or 8 grooves using a round-ended burr.

So, for a mild price increase, you get a mild increase in stiffness/weight ratio.

For the average varmint shooter, might be a decent market. Something in between off-the-rack at Bass Pro and full-on $3000 custom. For *.mil use, they have real money; don't see the market there. Maybe for export?

#3 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,152 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 2148 PM

Bollocks.

#4 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 2234 PM

According to Remington, "VTR" stands for "Varmint-Target Rifle", so apparently it's optomized for coyotes or range targets.

#5 Wobbly Head

Wobbly Head

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 0652 AM

I did handle one several years ago and it was set up for coyotes, range targets setup and did put it on my win lottery list, but since then I began to see the quality of remmington decrease and had to try to fix a Remington 887 and 522 Viper so I decided to avoid Remmington and stick with something more conventional cz 527 till they get their QA act together.

#6 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 1913 PM

I have a Remington VTR-15 with a triangular barrel profile, albeit without the comp cuts. Gimmick, useless gimmick. Both of my AR-15 match uppers, a Rock River A2 and a White Oak Armament A4, will outshoot the Remington all day, hell my DPMS oracle 16 inch  will outshoot it until the pencil barrel heats up. I should sell it off, but there isn't any resale value for an AR right now, maybe wait till the 2020 elections.

#7 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

I offer safe passage through the wasteland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,815 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 2128 PM

What happens when you let the marketing department nerds out of the lockers where they belong.  S/F...Ken M

#8 Mk 1

Mk 1

Difficile est saturam non scribere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 1534 PM

I wouldn't own or use any Remington, but most certainly not a 700. 

https://www.cbsnews....deadly-defects/

https://www.cnbc.com...-reckoning.html

https://www.michigan...roversy.354816/

Nope, not for me.  Too much blood on their hands. And on mine. And in my hair, and my eyes and nose and ears, and all over everything.  And pieces of muscle and other flesh. And a best friend who needed 8 surgeries to get minimal function back in his left arm (now 2 inches shorter than it used to be) and hand.  And a lifetime of not being able to ride in convertibles because of the flashbacks of the ride to the hospital trying to hold the pieces together. 

Got to wonder why anyone would want to buy a product from that company ever again.

Nope, no Remington 700s for me.

-Mark 

#9 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,686 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 1657 PM

I have a Remington VTR-15 with a triangular barrel profile, albeit without the comp cuts. Gimmick, useless gimmick. Both of my AR-15 match uppers, a Rock River A2 and a White Oak Armament A4, will outshoot the Remington all day, hell my DPMS oracle 16 inch  will outshoot it until the pencil barrel heats up. I should sell it off, but there isn't any resale value for an AR right now, maybe wait till the 2020 elections.

What happens when you let the marketing department nerds out of the lockers where they belong.  S/F...Ken M

This triangular profile seems to have some theoretical advantages over other types of fluting, but seems superflous on a AR-15 type rifle and well, the most important thing for a barrel is that it is straight and stress relieved. And there Remington seems to be not so good. Really, Remington lives off of its old name at this point.

I wouldn't own or use any Remington, but most certainly not a 700. 

https://www.cbsnews....deadly-defects/

https://www.cnbc.com...-reckoning.html

https://www.michigan...roversy.354816/

Nope, not for me.  Too much blood on their hands. And on mine. And in my hair, and my eyes and nose and ears, and all over everything.  And pieces of muscle and other flesh. And a best friend who needed 8 surgeries to get minimal function back in his left arm (now 2 inches shorter than it used to be) and hand.  And a lifetime of not being able to ride in convertibles because of the flashbacks of the ride to the hospital trying to hold the pieces together. 

Got to wonder why anyone would want to buy a product from that company ever again.

Nope, no Remington 700s for me.

-Mark

Sorry to hear that this happened to you and your friend. Over the years one heard of all the problems with the Remingotn 700, but this sent a chill down my spine.

There was more than one reason I laughed at my brother buying a new 700 in .30-06 after getting his hunting license a few years ago...

#10 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 1945 PM

Not sure what if any advantage that idiotic triangular cross section would have. The point of fluting is to increase surface area for cooling, while keeping most mass as a heat sink and stiffness. That triangular section fails at all those purposes. Maybe lighter than a full bull barrel, but for a varmint or target rifle who cares? Most hi power shooters are going to stuff lead into the forearm to move cg and steady the rifle for awfulhand anyways. Most varmint shooters I know off are going to only carry the rifle 20 ft from where they park their pickup so weight doesn't matter there either. Hunters aren't going to use a vtr in the first place, as Col Cooper said, " an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem."

#11 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,686 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 0814 AM

Not sure what if any advantage that idiotic triangular cross section would have. The point of fluting is to increase surface area for cooling, while keeping most mass as a heat sink and stiffness. That triangular section fails at all those purposes. Maybe lighter than a full bull barrel, but for a varmint or target rifle who cares? Most hi power shooters are going to stuff lead into the forearm to move cg and steady the rifle for awfulhand anyways. Most varmint shooters I know off are going to only carry the rifle 20 ft from where they park their pickup so weight doesn't matter there either. Hunters aren't going to use a vtr in the first place, as Col Cooper said, " an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem."

The idea is the same as with an I-beam to make the barrel more rigid. If it really works is doubtable though and a solution looking for a problem.

#12 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 0911 AM

Remington has been selling these for around 10 years or so, so somebody out there is buying them.

#13 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 0922 AM

The idea is the same as with an I-beam to make the barrel more rigid. If it really works is doubtable though and a solution looking for a problem.

I know what the idea is, it would be better to just keep the full diameter round profile or real fluting,  and have stiffness and mass.

Edited by GregShaw, 07 September 2019 - 0924 AM.