26 replies to this topic

#21 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,177 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 2104 PM

And how did it turn out?  Did your new system arrive, and does it work well?

#22 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,177 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 0723 AM

Well Best Buy had a great deal on laptops and so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on Sarah's college laptop. https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6188321   They had this one on sale for $1099 for about three days and sold out.  I made the girls a deal, that they got a new laptop when they entered High School (not a top of the line one), and then when they are ready to go to college, I would save up and get them a really good laptop that will last them for the four years of college.  So I got it, a mouse, external 2 tb Western Digital Hard drive, a USB A to USB C dongle, and Office student as a bundle along with the three year warranty, so I think I got a good deal, and she is set up with a great laptop.    

#23 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,332 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice hockey, motorcycling

Posted 15 November 2018 - 1440 PM

I'm thinking of replacing my gaming machine and since I've got a decent load of disks in it I'm considering trying to move them to the new machine. What are the odds that it will work?

/R - too lazy to reinstall

#24 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,473 posts
  • Interests:WW2 Armor (mostly US)

Posted 26 November 2018 - 1246 PM

just taking the hard drive from the old machine and adding it to the new one as an extra,

probably will work mostly.  Depends on the game, too

Moving files over via ethernet connection seems less likely to work although it will work for Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition (notoriously hard to make work on newer systems)

#25 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,177 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 1945 PM

I did that, moved two drives to my current system.

#26 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiles, guns, computers

Posted 27 November 2018 - 2102 PM

Got a pile of parts sitting on my dining room table.

Corsair Carbide 200 case

Corsair 750 Watt Gold power supply

32 gb Corsair 2666 DDR

Corsair H75 AIO liquid cooler

512 mb Crucial NVM SSD

4 TB Seagate 7200 rpm Red HD

3-4 year old NIB Seagate 1 TB 5400 rpm Green HD

Radeon RX 580 8 gb video card

2x Viewsonic 24 in 1080p LCD (each has 1x HDMI, 1x DVI and 1x VGA, so I can run my Raspberry Pie 3 and couple laptops off them as well)

10.14 Hackintosh installer flash drive

Waiting on the Intel I7 8700k to arrive so I can put it together. Prime 2 day delivery is pushing  5 days so far. Need to make a Win10 installer flash drive, then pickup another 256 - 512 mb cheap SSD to set it up as a dual boot OS X and Win10 machine.

Once I get both OS working I'll try overclocking to see if I can reach 5.0 gHz. My old I7 2700k Sandy Bridge machine was originally going to be overclocked, but it's still rolling at stock speeds, once the new one is working I may see if I can get it to 4.5 gHz.

I've been watching a lot of Youtube, found I can take my old 775 chipset Vista machine and replace the 2.4 gHz Core 2 duo and replace it with a 3.x gHz Xeon for < $50 off of Ebay. Have to get a new power supply, upgrade to 16 or 32 mb of RAM and couple of 4+ TB drives then install Windows 10 or Linux Mint for grins.

Edited by GregShaw, 27 November 2018 - 2107 PM.

#27 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,332 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice hockey, motorcycling

Posted 28 November 2018 - 0407 AM

I'm thinking of moving the system disk to the new machine, well, plus all the other...

Considering that I've got data on one disk I'm thinking it might take a while to get it sorted IF it works at all :D

/R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users