• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 0512 AM

"An Expendable Squadron"  The Story of 217 Coastal Command 1939-1945 by Roy C. Nesbit.

A decent overall view of the responsibilities of the said squadron. Did not know Coastal Command was tasked with bombing harbors although it does make sense. 

"Guns Against the Reich" Memoirs of an Artillery Officer on the Eastern Front by Petr Mikhin.

Very interesting. Although at times he reads like an "Artillery Super Sleuth" the young officer overcame many challenges. The problems with Stalin's (I'll paraphrase) No Retreat Order and with the NKVD were his worst times. 

#2 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 1941 PM

The Memoirs of Field Marshal Kesselring by himself. Disappointing but understandable as he wrote it while in prison after the war. Did not, imo, deal with higher decisions made by Hitler, OKW, etc. 

#3 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 0529 AM

"Sacrifice on the Steppe" The Italian Alpine Corps in the Stalingrad Campaign 1942-1943.

I would say this book is a must read.

A short quote from pages 157-158; "...Lt. Giorgio Gaza, commander of the 253 co., Val Chiese Battalion, recalled an unusual moment during a snowstorm in which he offered to help Ugo Bodei, an alpino in his company who had exposed his private part while urinating, attempting to shield it from the wind with his hand. "I was passing by, I saw him, and immediately realized the grave risk he was taking(it was -40 degrees) therefore I immediately intervened. He was standing. On my kneesin front of him, I rapidly removed my gloves, treated him in the manner needed, placing the "part' in question back where it was warm and buttoned his pants; an operation he couldn't have managed anymore, having hands paralyzed by the cold. 

35 years later, the Lt., the alpini, and the alpini's son meet. The Lt. was congratulated by father and son on a first rate "rescue operation."