• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 John Dudek

John Dudek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 1310 PM

Any ideas if white or red wine goes well when used to cook a white or red sauce pasta? I be cooking this Sunday evening, and am thinking of cooking another pasta dish instead of what I did last year for my birthday.

Dry, red wines are traditionally used with red pasta sauces, although I've used dry, white wine as well with no discernable difference. You might want to stay away from sweeter, fruitier wines, unless you are looking to impart some sweetness to your sauce. You can't beat a good chianti used both in the cooking and in a glass, alongside your plate of pasta and sauce at dinnertime.

#22 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,358 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 2319 PM

Dry, red wines are traditionally used with red pasta sauces, although I've used dry, white wine as well with no discernable difference. You might want to stay away from sweeter, fruitier wines, unless you are looking to impart some sweetness to your sauce. You can't beat a good chianti used both in the cooking and in a glass, alongside your plate of pasta and sauce at dinnertime.

Thanks for the timely response. Will be going later and buying some wine. :)

#23 John Dudek

John Dudek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 1354 PM

Not a problem! :)

#24 John Dudek

John Dudek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 1525 PM

TomasCTT. How did your wine-infused pasta meal go?

#25 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,358 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 0038 AM

TomasCTT. How did your wine-infused pasta meal go?

It went quite well. :) I didn't end up buying a bottle, instead getting one at home and tasting that first. Simple red table wine, forgot the name. Applied what I thought was a general amount in the same pasta sauce I made last year for my birthday lunch (the family wanted a repeat of that instead). My aunt and uncle from Texas who were the guests of last night's supper found the pasta very good. :) Brought some today at work and let my coworkers eat it and they liked it, too. No more left. :D Thanks again!

#26 Geoff Winnington-Ball

Geoff Winnington-Ball

OC MLU, aka 'Jif'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 1019 AM

I notice the emphasis here on bottled wine. I would agree with the idea of cooking with something that you would drink, but over here vast quantities of wine in what we call 'wine casks' or bag in a box (chateau cardboard), some of which, but not all, is quite palatable and would be useful for cooking, and a lot cheaper, for instance the 2 litres of wine costs roughly the same as the equivalent about 1 litre of the same wine packaged in bottles.

Also idea for cooking because you can draw off as much or a little as required.

Is wine packaged in this form readily available in North America?

Up here, usually three-litre boxes of both reds and whites, always domestics but in some cases really quite good if you know what you're looking for. You find out really quickly which of your guests is a stuck-up prig when you serve them from a box! Most of mine, of course, would just as happily drink it straight out of the box (if they could figure out how to pen it), but I have them cured of that. For the most part. In some cases. Well, the odd one anyway.

As to the subject at hand, I used to cook with (and drink) exclusively domestic wines from the Niagara Peninsula here in Ontario. Hillebrand in particular has a really good Merlot which slides down effortlessly and adds a really nice taste to anything you're cooking; for white, their Chablis is equally as good. That being said, I don't really cook anymore unless it's for guests, so I can't give you any recipes... but my spaghetti sauce and stews still get lots of red whenever I make them. The important thing is something dry and not too fruity.

#27 Geoff Winnington-Ball

Geoff Winnington-Ball

OC MLU, aka 'Jif'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 1022 AM

It probably depends on how central the wine is to the sauce. For those things I cook with wine, I simply use buckets of the vin rectangulaire at the supermarket. For instance, when I roast a pork roast in the oven, I'll put the roast, red potatoes, onions, and carrots in a covered roasting pan. I slug in many cups of the cheap white, gosh maybe 2-4 depending on the size of the pan and the roast, along with black pepper and other spices. Its not 3-star quality but it sure beats Banquet for dinner.

I used to use dry sherry for cooking, but from trial and error I found normal table wine is more flexible.

That's not a roast, that's boiled pork! ARGH!! Disgusting waste of a beautiful resource... mind you, by the time you've abandoned the meat and drunk the sauce straight out of the pan, you probably don't care anymore... :D :P

#28 John_Ford

John_Ford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 1838 PM

Agreed! And never use "Cooking Wine", as it's usually an inferior grade of vino and absolutely loaded with salt. The reason that the wine is so heavily laden with salt is to keep the chefs from tippling freely from it in fine restaurants. That's alright though, the chefs get around it by cooking with cheap, "Triple Sec" instead of "Grand Marinier" while drinking the good stuff themselves.
Small wonder that Restaurant Chefs have the highest incidence of alcoholism of any occupation.

I remember watching Jula Childs when I was a kid and she got gassed up on wine during the one show. It was screamingly funny remembering it. Was one of the more memorable shows. ;) JF