Jump to content


Photo

Photography


  • Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Murph_*

Guest_Murph_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2004 - 1504 PM

I used to do all my own darkroom work, never used a mail order lab. There was a place in San Antonio called River City Silver that did custom developing and printing, and was excellent if expensive. I don't know if it is still there since I haven't been over there in about three years.

I would like one of those 6x6 SLRs, but how are the optics? I am somewhat of a lens snob, preferring German optics, if I can get them over Japanese.

Originally posted by whyhow:
don't know any russian 6x7 camera. i wouldn't bother with the toy like Lubital 6x6 TLR. there are several good Russian 6x6 SLRs which are copies of older Pentacon or Hassabald. or you could go for the 6x9 folders; you get huge negatives in a portable package.
do you do your own darkroom work? what are you experience with mail order labs?



#22 whyhow

whyhow

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 0441 AM

Originally posted by Murph:
I would like one of those 6x6 SLRs, but how are the optics?  I am somewhat of a lens snob, preferring German optics, if I can get them over Japanese.


I haven't used one of those 6x6 SLR myself. I'm still happy with what I get from 35mm. But from what I've read Russian optics are nothing to complain about. I use a Jupiter 8(a Sonnar copy) on my Kiev rangefinder, and I'm very happy with the results. Their lenses are usually based on German designs. What you do have worry about is the mechanical reliability of the cameras, due to spotty quality control. You said you like to use small apertures anyway, so I doubt you'll notice any difference between Russian and German lens (or Japanese for that matter), beside fit and finish of course.
Kiev 60 cost about $100 on ebay, but many of those might have mechanical problems. Kiev 88 is a copy of an old Hasselbald with focal plane shutter. KievUSA sells them for about $400 IRC with warranty. A good source I've heard several good reviews about is [url="http://"http://www.arax-photo.com"]http://www.arax-photo.com[/url] , they take stock Kievs, calibrate and upgrade them to a higher standard.

[Edited by whyhow (02 Sep 2004).]

#23 Guest_Murph_*

Guest_Murph_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2004 - 0512 AM

Great! THanks.

Originally posted by whyhow:
 I haven't used one of those 6x6 SLR myself. I'm still happy with what I get from 35mm. But from what I've read Russian optics are nothing to complain about. I use a Jupiter 8(a Sonnar copy) on my Kiev rangefinder, and I'm very happy with the results. Their lenses are usually based on German designs. What you do have worry about is the mechanical reliability of the cameras, due to spotty quality control. You said you like to use small apertures anyway, so I doubt you'll notice any difference between Russian and German lens (or Japanese for that matter), beside fit and finish of course.
Kiev 60 cost about $100 on ebay, but many of those might have mechanical problems. Kiev 88 is a copy of an old Hasselbald with focal plane shutter. KievUSA sells them for about $400 IRC with warranty. A good source I've heard several good reviews about is http://www.arax-photo.com  , they take stock Kievs, calibrate and upgrade them to a higher standard.

<font size=1>[Edited by whyhow (02 Sep 2004).]



#24 Juan Sosa

Juan Sosa

    Back in the land of Sam

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  • Location:Miami... again

Posted 02 September 2004 - 1415 PM

I have a Sony 5.0 with a 3X zoom right now. It is good for up close pictures and regular point a shoot stuff, but I really want to learn real photography. I've been eyeing the Canon Digital Rebel for a few months now, and was thinking of buying it this weekend. I guess now I'll have to wait untill things settle down after the storm.

#25 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

    Now is the winter of our discontent

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,516 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:deep in the heart of ... darkness, USA
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 02 September 2004 - 1721 PM

I played around with a Digital Rebel at Circuit City a couple of months ago, and didn't like the switchology much. I was expecting better, partly because all of the Canon SLRs from the 1980s (T-50, T-70, T-90, AE-1 etc) had excellent switchology. One of my main gripes with the CoolPix 900 is Nikon's completely nonintuitive button system, when I replace it I want better controls as well as SLR optics and next-gen imaging.

#26 shootER5

shootER5

    Beer drinker, hell raiser.

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Antonio, Texas
  • Interests:model building, history, firearms

Posted 02 September 2004 - 1807 PM

I need to make the switch to digital at some point, but haven't really made it a priority. My wife has a Nikon N6006 that's the "point and shoot" camera in the house. If I'm taking a serious photo, I use the Pentax K-1000 that I've had for nearly twenty years. In that time I've had a Pentax ME (or MX, I forget which) and a Canon A-1, which I used when I was a newspaper photographer. I sold the Canon when I got into teevee and the ME/MX took too many tumbles from the TC position onto the turret floor and wouldn't make an in-focus photograph any more. The K-1000 is still going strong.

#27 Guest_Murph_*

Guest_Murph_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2004 - 0122 AM

K-1000 like the Minolta X-700 I have is a good no frills camera that allows you to really do your best work.

Originally posted by shootER5:
I need to make the switch to digital at some point, but haven't really made it a priority.  My wife has a Nikon N6006 that's the "point and shoot" camera in the house.  If I'm taking a serious photo, I use the Pentax K-1000 that I've had for nearly twenty years.  In that time I've had a Pentax ME (or MX, I forget which) and a Canon A-1, which I used when I was a newspaper photographer.  I sold the Canon when I got into teevee and the ME/MX took too many tumbles from the TC position onto the turret floor and wouldn't make an in-focus photograph any more.  The K-1000 is still going strong.



#28 Sikkiyn

Sikkiyn

    Crew

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 September 2004 - 0216 AM

I use a Fuji S5000 digital myself, and even though it is not supposed to be an SLR type, I have found with the adapter, that I can add extra lenses should the need arise.

#29 whyhow

whyhow

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 1409 PM

Murph, which TLR do you use? I just got myself an old Ricohflex. I haven't run a roll through it yet but I already like the suprisingly small camera.

#30 whyhow

whyhow

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 1416 PM

have you try to use the K-1000 lens on the ME/MX? the tumbles probably only damage the lens. what else could cause a manual SLR to produce out of focus pictures?

Originally posted by shootER5:
I need to make the switch to digital at some point, but haven't really made it a priority.  My wife has a Nikon N6006 that's the "point and shoot" camera in the house.  If I'm taking a serious photo, I use the Pentax K-1000 that I've had for nearly twenty years.  In that time I've had a Pentax ME (or MX, I forget which) and a Canon A-1, which I used when I was a newspaper photographer.  I sold the Canon when I got into teevee and the ME/MX took too many tumbles from the TC position onto the turret floor and wouldn't make an in-focus photograph any more.  The K-1000 is still going strong.



#31 shootER5

shootER5

    Beer drinker, hell raiser.

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Antonio, Texas
  • Interests:model building, history, firearms

Posted 03 September 2004 - 1839 PM

Originally posted by whyhow:
have you try to use the K-1000 lens on the ME/MX? the tumbles probably only damage the lens. what else could cause a manual SLR to produce out of focus pictures?


I'm pretty sure that the film plane got out of alignment on the ME/MX because the same lenses still take superb photos with the K-1000.

I used the ME/MX more often when I was in the military because the body was smaller than the K-1000 and fit better in the cargo pocket of my BDUs.



[Edited by shootER5 (04 Sep 2004).]

#32 shootER5

shootER5

    Beer drinker, hell raiser.

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Antonio, Texas
  • Interests:model building, history, firearms

Posted 03 September 2004 - 1855 PM

Bah, double post. Posted Image

[Edited by shootER5 (04 Sep 2004).]

#33 Guest_Murph_*

Guest_Murph_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2004 - 1546 PM

And old Yashica D. I learned on a camera just like it.

Originally posted by whyhow:
Murph, which TLR do you use? I just got myself an old Ricohflex. I haven't run a roll through it yet but I already like the suprisingly small camera.



#34 Juan Sosa

Juan Sosa

    Back in the land of Sam

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  • Location:Miami... again

Posted 08 September 2004 - 1526 PM

Well, I am the proud owner of a Canon 300D Digital Rebel since yesterday. Haven't had much of a chance to play with it so far, but I am loving it. It comes with the kit 18-55mm zoom lens, which I hear is OK for the price. After I learn more about the camera and photography in general I'll be in a beter position to determine what type of lens I really need.

Any other Drebel owners? What do you think about it so far?

Regards,
Juan

#35 Guest_Murph_*

Guest_Murph_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2004 - 1546 PM

I find I use the short to medium (85mm to 200mm) telephotos more than the wide angles. My favorite lens is my 28-85mm I do 85% of my work with it on my 35mm.

USed the old 35mm this weekend.

Originally posted by Juan Sosa:
Well, I am the proud owner of a Canon 300D Digital Rebel since yesterday. Haven't had much of a chance to play with it so far, but I am loving it. It comes with the kit 18-55mm zoom lens, which I hear is OK for the price. After I learn more about the camera and photography in general I'll be in a beter position to determine what type of lens I really need.

Any other Drebel owners? What do you think about it so far?

Regards,
Juan



#36 Doug Kibbey

Doug Kibbey

    Self Absorbed Nostalgia Monger

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,496 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 September 2004 - 1615 PM

>98% of the 300-400 pictures I took in Vietnam I took with this. Bought in the Phu Bai or Camp Eagle PX for maybe $130. Still takes great pics...though it's one of the first to offer aperture priority automatic operation if one wants. Every picture I took there was with a normal lens and no filters whatsoever. I didn't buy lenses for this one, as the hexanon mount was non-standard and you couldn't use aftermarket lenses.
Years later I bought a Minolta for my long lens aviation shots.

Having done chemical for decades, and resisting digital until my wife talked me into an inexpensive Olympus last year, I can say that digital is definitely what's happening and I look forward to getting another one. But this one is like your first sweetheart.....
Posted Image

#37 Guest_Murph_*

Guest_Murph_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2004 - 0117 AM

YES! My first 35mm camera was a Konica T3! Loved that camera till it got stolen on my move back from Germany.

Originally posted by Doug Kibbey:
>98% of the 300-400 pictures I took in Vietnam I took with this. Bought in the Phu Bai or Camp Eagle PX for maybe $130. Still takes great pics...though it's one of the first to offer aperture priority automatic operation if one wants. Every picture I took there was with a normal lens and no filters whatsoever. I didn't buy lenses for this one, as the hexanon mount was non-standard and you couldn't use aftermarket lenses.
Years later I bought a Minolta for my long lens aviation shots.

[/IMG]



#38 Guest_Murph_*

Guest_Murph_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2004 - 0119 AM

Anyone have an opinion on whether its better to stay at 4.0 megapixels or go to 5.0 megapixels?

#39 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

    Now is the winter of our discontent

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,516 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:deep in the heart of ... darkness, USA
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 23 September 2004 - 0132 AM

Originally posted by Murph:
Anyone have an opinion on whether its better to stay at 4.0 megapixels or go to 5.0 megapixels?


That's not a quantum leap, resolutionwise, so I'd look at the other factors pertinent to my style of use. Give me a wider range of ISO equivalents, a decently fast shutter, fast bootup time, SLR focusing, and lens choices.

Juan, how's the Drebel working out?

#40 Juan Sosa

Juan Sosa

    Back in the land of Sam

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  • Location:Miami... again

Posted 23 September 2004 - 0230 AM

The dRebel is working out great. The kit lens is decent enough, but I already placed an order for some new glass. Bought a Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM, which from all the reviews sounds like a greap general purpose lens for the price.

Next buy is a tripod so I can take some decent nighttime pictures. There are some great shots to be had of the Miami skyline from a couple spots Iíve scouted out already. Iíd also like a circular polarizing filter.

Once I am more comfortable with the camera (BTW I find the switchology very straight forward) I will probably install the firmware hack to it. Once I do Iíll essentially have a 10D on a rebel body. I have yet to read about anyone having trouble with the hack, so I figure it is safe enough.

The only downside to this whole photography deal is that I have yet another interest to spend money in.

Regards,
Juan




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users