#1 Allan Wotherspoon

Allan Wotherspoon

Radamanthine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,860 posts
  • Interests:Military History and Wargaming

Posted 21 March 2013 - 1330 PM

I have a Centurion I with a 100% crew that is now at the 98% level for Brothers in Arms. What skills/perks should I choose once I finish with BiA?

#2 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,131 posts
  • Interests:Geomatics // Naval History // Soccer // Teaching

Posted 21 March 2013 - 1339 PM

Commander: Sixth Sense

Driver: Smooth Ride*

Loader: Safe Stowage

Gunner: Snap Shot*

Both of the starred ones are skills, so you start seeing effects even at 1%. Sixth Sense and Safe Stowage are perks, so you won't see an effect until 100%, just like BiA.

#3 Allan Wotherspoon

Allan Wotherspoon

Radamanthine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 1348 PM

What about Mentor for the commander?

#4 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,045 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 21 March 2013 - 1443 PM

I took it on several commanders and I don't find it that noticeably useful, even at 100%.

#5 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

Powerpoint Ranger, Chairborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 1452 PM

Frankly, I stopped using BIA unless the crew goes for 3rd skill already.

I would recommend Mentor for CO, or if you wish to reset then go for sixth sense and mentor and use the BIA on others for something different.

My 2nd-skill Cent crew is:

CO WO.1 Richard Sharpe: 6th sense, Mentor 63%

Gunner: Gunner or whatever is the EN name (more chance to a Crit); Snap Shot 62%

Driver: Rough terrain, smooth drive 62%

Loader WO 3 Sean Bean: Safe stowage; Repairs 64%

#6 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,798 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 21 March 2013 - 1457 PM

I run Mentor/Repair first on all my crews and then once they're high enough that I can respec and keep a second secondary skill at a fairly high level I give them all BiA and go back to leveling Mentor/Repair.  This is what I've been doing since... forever.  Hasn't hurt me pulling a 60% win rate or 2k WN6/7 for a while now.  

Here's an (old) vid showing what Repair gives you.  Back when there were all of three secondary skills it was the sure thing to get.  I've read or seen nothing since the intro of the new ones to change that.

I'd be cautious in regards to two of FCO's suggestions:

- Sixth Sense is overrated.  I threw it on my T34 and T-54 and it didn't reap any massive rewards (my win rate actually dropped with both).  If you play enough, know maps, and know likely enemy movements it actually offers you next to nothing in pubs (CW is likely a whole different ballgame).  If you're working on your second secondary skill you're likely at that point. 

- Safe Stowage just gives your ammo rack 12.5% more hps.  If the wiki is accurate (and that's a big IF... English documentation of WoT game mechanics is simply awful) that doesn't lower your chances of taking ammo rack damage and simply buys you more time till an explosion.  The thing is... in pubs... your ammo rack basically never explodes (CW, with higher dpm guns and players who know how to aim, might be different).  As such, Repair and BiA should be a priority above it.

#7 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,131 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 1535 PM

I run Mentor/Repair first on all my crews and then once they're high enough that I can respec and keep a second secondary skill at a fairly high level I give them all BiA and go back to leveling Mentor/Repair.  This is what I've been doing since... forever.  Hasn't hurt me pulling a 60% win rate or 2k WN6/7 for a while now.  

Here's an (old) vid showing what Repair gives you.  Back when there were all of three secondary skills it was the sure thing to get.  I've read or seen nothing since the intro of the new ones to change that.

I'd be cautious in regards to two of FCO's suggestions:

- Sixth Sense is overrated.  I threw it on my T34 and T-54 and it didn't reap any massive rewards (my win rate actually dropped with both).  If you play enough, know maps, and know likely enemy movements it actually offers you next to nothing in pubs (CW is likely a whole different ballgame).  If you're working on your second secondary skill you're likely at that point. 

- Safe Stowage just gives your ammo rack 12.5% more hps.  If the wiki is accurate (and that's a big IF... English documentation of WoT game mechanics is simply awful) that doesn't lower your chances of taking ammo rack damage and simply buys you more time till an explosion.  The thing is... in pubs... your ammo rack basically never explodes (CW, with higher dpm guns and players who know how to aim, might be different).  As such, Repair and BiA should be a priority above it.

Mentor doesn't appreciably help the other crewmembers and what ends up happening is your commander lags far behind the other tankers when it comes to rolling over to the next skill.

Sixth Sense is perhaps the best perk in the game--especially for a thin-skinned medium like the Centurion. They see you you are dead because all it has is DPM

Safe Stowage is perfect for a Centurion since the ammo rack is in the front-left of the tank. You need as much HP for the ammo rack as you can have. I ran mine with a Rammer, Vents, and Wet Ammo Rack. You might want to consider repairs then switching to Safe Stowage at 100%, then make your third skill repairs, but the British tanks repair quickly enough as it is for it to be an issue.

#8 Allan Wotherspoon

Allan Wotherspoon

Radamanthine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 1547 PM

I haven't noticed that I've been taking a lot of ammo rack criticals in the Centurion. I'm running mine with rammer, enhanced gun drive and vertical stab.

#9 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,798 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 21 March 2013 - 1615 PM

Mentor doesn't appreciably help the other crewmembers and what ends up happening is your commander lags far behind the other tankers when it comes to rolling over to the next skill.

Sixth Sense is perhaps the best perk in the game--especially for a thin-skinned medium like the Centurion. They see you you are dead because all it has is DPM

Mentor - According to the wiki, when your Commander has it at 100% your crew all get 10% more xp per battle.  It's not slowing any progression at all on your commander.  He's not getting anywhere slower, the rest of his crew is getting there faster.

Sixth Sense - I've been hit by enemies before Sixth Sense has told me I was spotted (and no, there weren't allies around that they were shooting at).  I've moved over a ridge and engaged an enemy at PB range before it lit up that he spotted me (and he was facing me).  There's a delay when it warns you, it's not instantaneous.  If it were, then I'd agree it'd be the best thing in the game.  As it stands now I think they did a good job balancing it so it's not required.  It can be useful at times... but those are limited IME.

#10 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,554 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 1659 PM

Also equipment thread.
I have optics, gld and stabilizer on T71. Opinions?

#11 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,826 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 1819 PM

If my crews are less than 90% I run a fan, for tanks I am not keeping long I might just use net and bino's. The bigger tanks get rammer always. Mix and match after that. Fast higher tier scout tanks I use optics, stab and perhaps net.

#12 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,131 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 1907 PM

Unless there's a dire need (Wet Ammo Rack for T-44, Centurions; CO2 for FV215b since the fuel tanks are next to the front road wheels), I run rammer, vents, and VStab/Gun-laying Drive

French Autoloaders get Vents, VStab, and Gun-Laying drive. I'm all about getting the first shot off.

#13 Max H

Max H

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 1231 PM

On the subject of sixth sense:

- Sixth Sense will not be touched by devs atm, but Storm says that more than a buff this skill needs a nerf

http://ftr-wot.blogs...03/2322013.html

#14 jwduquette1

jwduquette1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 0944 AM

- Sixth Sense will not be touched by devs atm, but Storm says that more than a buff this skill needs a nerf

Crews speaking in their own languages would be cool -- that is if I'm reading the article correctly.  Does that also mean that American Crews will speak American -- and UK crews will speak British?

#15 Max H

Max H

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 1225 PM

Yep, if the plans come to fruition. Might confuse some people though

#16 Edmund

Edmund

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,550 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, Trains, Planes, and boats(Big boats)

Posted 30 March 2013 - 1128 AM

Crews speaking in their own languages would be cool -- that is if I'm reading the article correctly.  Does that also mean that American Crews will speak American -- and UK crews will speak British?

I hope that is optional.  I don't know about anyone else but English is hard enough.  And its the only language I know.  I cool part for realism.

#17 Loopycrank

Loopycrank

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 1507 PM

You might consider camo.  FV 4202 has unusually high view range, and a reasonably low silhouette.  It's always nice to see them before they see you.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users