Posted 16 September 2016 - 1105 AM

Agreed

#42 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 0535 AM

Any major store brand of coffee that are your favorites and why? I usually just buy whatever is on sale but am willing to try new stuff.

#43 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,263 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 1427 PM

Its a little expensive, but Gevalia is very good and easy to find. This is what I usta get as a treat. No longer in the brick-and-mortar Walmarts in my AO, but still available online;

26a482d4-c050-48d4-b5af-c4a84b9b0b43_1.3

Most of the time, though, I just buy the store brand "100% Arabica" tins at the supermarket and slug in a bunch of half-n-half and a tablespoon of cappucino mix. 

You'll need to figure out what aspects you like and dislike. I cannot stand bitter anything, so that takes about 2/3 of the coffees out there off the table. By trial and error, I have found that I like most Colombian and Sumatran grinds, and so far I have enjoyed Nicaraguan. 

You can get Seattle's Best at Walmart, but in my area selection has gone down of late. Likewise for Eight O'Clock brand. 

I wisely followed the advice of Mike Steele and bought a french press (a.k.a. coffee press). Even the cheapo Mr. Coffee press is worthwhile, as you'll quickly develop an appreciation for unfiltered coffee.

#44 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 1544 PM

Our mainstay coffee is Peet's Big Bang, which is pleasant tasting and moderately strong. It's a little weaker than I like, and a little stronger than my wife likes, but overall a fair compromise. She just adds a little milk to mellow it out.

We also try different coffees as they appear at World Market. They put out a coffee kiosk with different coffee types in different dispensers so customers can try before they buy. Recently we discovered an "Italian Roast" with a strong, complex flavor, and stocked up on that. It's by far the best coffee either of us have ever had.

But we also keep Big Bang on hand because in the morning we don't want a complex flavor. We don't want "the best coffee we've ever tasted". We just want something mellow and comforting to wake ourselves up, and Big Bang is exactly that.

#45 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 1558 PM

I like this https://nmpinoncoffe...offee&priority=I it at Costco.  If I happen to run out I pick up a small can of Chock Full O'Nuts to tide me over.  

#46 Leo Niehorster

Leo Niehorster

Meow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 0613 AM

OK, I admit I was wrong. (You know who I mean.) I just opened a jar of Maxwell coffee. It tastes absolutely horrible. :wacko:

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

Admittedly, my fond memory of this freeze dried stuff — was it the first of its kind? I don't remember — is 50 years old. And, of course, maybe the German stuff now is different from the USian then.

Probably many of my memories of things typically USian are seen through rosy red lenses. Like SPAM, Marshmellow Fluff, hot Pastrami sandwiches, etc.

Edited by Leo Niehorster, 09 April 2018 - 0614 AM.

#47 Martin M

Martin M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 0501 AM

altho . . . .

one of the best smells ever :

A US motel, early morning, chlorinated tapwater heated up in the room coffee maker, with instant coffee powder, instant sugar, instant milk, unlock the flimsy motel door, take a seat on the plastic bench in the good morning air with your fresh cup  sit back and decide where go to today 

( to top it off just a whiff of exhaust from some early birds car leaving the place already)

#48 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,370 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 0555 AM

Standard granular Maxwell House coffee has been awful forever. The freeze dried Gold Blend" sub brand is passable.

At home I drink Kenco Millicano, which is freeze dried with a hint of ground bean in it.

I've stopped drinking Costa, instead my boutique coffee fix comes from a local independent coffee house called Cafe Roma. Key ingredient is clean machines.

Edited by DB, 26 April 2018 - 0555 AM.

#49 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,357 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 0413 AM

I noticed that generally speaking coffee doesn't keep me awake. It only makes my heart palpitate. Except for a cup of Americano coffee. I had that and it kept me awake. Still prefer tea.

#50 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,125 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 0533 AM

Cold Brew or Hot Brew?  And is there a real taste difference?

#51 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 0441 AM

Cold coffee! That is an abomination before all that is holy! And secular. And while we're at it, what is this wimpyness in MEN pouring in sugar, cream, "flavorings", except, possibly, a dollop of rum or whiskey in a cup of good joe. We as a nation are definitely loosing our testosterone!

Edited by Rick, 27 June 2018 - 0557 AM.

#52 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,817 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 0639 AM

Ice cold instant coffee at a beginning of the hot summer day. No sugar or milk, just a good stuff. :).

I also like instant with milk and sugar, also cold later in the day, about lunch time.

#53 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,647 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 1716 PM

Cold coffee! That is an abomination before all that is holy! And secular. And while we're at it, what is this wimpyness in MEN pouring in sugar, cream, "flavorings", except, possibly, a dollop of rum or whiskey in a cup of good joe. We as a nation are definitely loosing our testosterone!

What's wrong with half-decaf double shot hazelnut and stevia soylatte?

Spoiler

And I am actually more a tea kind of guy. I normally only buy a packet of coffee for guests from the local colonial goods store (really, it is that old) and they roast their own beans.

Cold or hot brew? I assume it pertains to the water temperature? That cetainly has an effect when making tea. So I WAG that it does with coffee as well.

#54 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 1745 PM

What's wrong with half-decaf double shot hazelnut and stevia soylatte?

Spoiler

And I am actually more a tea kind of guy. I normally only buy a packet of coffee for guests from the local colonial goods store (really, it is that old) and they roast their own beans.

Cold or hot brew? I assume it pertains to the water temperature? That cetainly has an effect when making tea. So I WAG that it does with coffee as well.

Sounds like an interesting store. Sun brewed Ice tea with a slight amount of sugar is great in the summer. Also I do drink hot tea in the winter after outside work. Tend to favor the stronger, black teas with a  little milk and sugar.

#55 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,125 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 1804 PM

I’m a wimp, I like cream, real cream, in my coffee. Half and half will do in a pinch. Sugar, NEVER!!

#56 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,125 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 1008 AM

Black Rifle Coffee company is advertising Cold Brew and how to make Cold Brew.  BRCC is manly coffee for manly men!

#57 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 1040 AM

Black Rifle Coffee company is advertising Cold Brew and how to make Cold Brew.  BRCC is manly coffee for manly men!

Any Real and True manly man would know how  to build a fire to heat or re-heat a cup of joe  ;)

#58 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,125 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 1202 PM

You got me there ;)

Any Real and True manly man would know how  to build a fire to heat or re-heat a cup of joe  ;)

#59 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,817 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 1637 PM

Black Rifle Coffee company is advertising Cold Brew and how to make Cold Brew. ...

Years ago at the university friend and me used chemical laboratory apparatus to make a quite complicated contraption for cold brew coffee. While complicated to make, taste was out of the this world good.

#60 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 1726 PM

Its a little expensive, but Gevalia is very good and easy to find. This is what I usta get as a treat. No longer in the brick-and-mortar Walmarts in my AO, but still available online;

26a482d4-c050-48d4-b5af-c4a84b9b0b43_1.3

Most of the time, though, I just buy the store brand "100% Arabica" tins at the supermarket and slug in a bunch of half-n-half and a tablespoon of cappucino mix. 

You'll need to figure out what aspects you like and dislike. I cannot stand bitter anything, so that takes about 2/3 of the coffees out there off the table. By trial and error, I have found that I like most Colombian and Sumatran grinds, and so far I have enjoyed Nicaraguan. 

You can get Seattle's Best at Walmart, but in my area selection has gone down of late. Likewise for Eight O'Clock brand. 

I wisely followed the advice of Mike Steele and bought a french press (a.k.a. coffee press). Even the cheapo Mr. Coffee press is worthwhile, as you'll quickly develop an appreciation for unfiltered coffee.

This is funny :) Gevalia is a bit laughed at in Sweden.

/R