5469 replies to this topic

#5461 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 1035 AM

Presumably if this air launched Iskander actually enters service a number of naval MiG-31s would be modified and kept in naval service.

Though I am perplexed why they had their own separate interceptor force in the first place.

#5462 glenn239

glenn239

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,968 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 1131 AM

As to naval aircraft, yeah that's my point: as far as I know "Dedicated anti-carrier forces (MIG-31, Backfire)" don't exist. I'll accept any links to the contrary.

Russian Naval Aviation have at least 25 MiG-31 in 865 Fighter Regiment and until 2011 had its own Tu-22M3. Those M3 were regrouped to Long Range Aviation of RuAF, albeit they still on anti-ship duty.

I have to agree with Stuart, I can't imagine those units get a lot of over water practice. If they do they're super quiet about it. But ok, we'll say a regiment or two specializes in anti-carrier work.

Why were the MiG-31s tasked? Until the air launched Iskander, what role would they have had that wouldn't have fallen under the air defense force?

ETA: apparently the current organization of bombers is a 'division', though I'm not sure organizationally what that is. There are supposedly ~60 Tu-22M3 and four divisions of them, so I assume a division amounts to roughly a squadron along with training and attrition aircraft.

Reports I've seen is that about ten MIG-31's are now dedicated missile launchers, so used in the bomber role instead of as fighters.  From the skimpy reports on the weapon, this can either be land or sea based targets but either way, tactical not strategic targets.  

http://tass.com/defense/1002992

Initially, the MiG-31BM was named as the aircraft to carry Kinzhal hypersonic missile systems. Later, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said that the MiG-31K had been picked as a carrier for Kinzhal hypersonic missiles.

Stuart Last I checked (and this was a couple of years back) they had about 67 TU22M's. Maybe 66 if they didnt unbend the pranged one. To me it strikes me as very unlikely they are with those kind of numbers going to have a force proficient in Anti Ship work and land target work.

The article you posted was to the effect that there is a problem with the carriers vs. the recent Russian threat.  This must be in reference to the new missiles, as the carrying systems are all pretty much the same as before.  if defenses cannot shoot down a missile, then the number of missiles to pose a threat is much lower than during the Cold War.

In terms of proficiency, that's a flight hours thing and proper doctrine and training for the weapons employed.  Are the Russians skimping on flight hours these years? 

Edited by glenn239, 20 June 2018 - 1134 AM.

#5463 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Of the Veronica Cartwright Ilk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,360 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 1131 AM

I think I read the mig 31s are original build that are in are in storage, and it was from that batch that the Hypersonic carrier was taken. The Mig31's that are flying now are all M's and BM's or so I think they said in a recent article in Airforces Monthly.

I dont think those 31's will be stripped of all their combat systems to make them carry hypersonic weapons. it would really be a bit of a waste, cos there isnt really very much wrong with them.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 20 June 2018 - 1132 AM.

#5464 glenn239

glenn239

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,968 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 1201 PM

Turkey confirms it is going ahead with S-400 purchase regardless of US threats on sanctions or F-35's,

http://tass.com/defense/1010084

#5465 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 1243 PM

Good, hopefully that means no F-35 for them. I couldn't care less who's SAM they use, but I think for unrelated reasons they shouldn't get F-35.

#5466 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 21,996 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 20 June 2018 - 1415 PM

Glenn, as strategic bombers routinely hit tactical targets and tactical aircraft strategic ones, I think defining the Mig31 Iskander combo as tactical is dubious.

#5467 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 45,360 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 0217 AM

The Mig31K is the iskander carrier. Quite sensibly they appear to be taking old unupgraded Mig31's out of storage, rather than messing up what is is actually quite a nice combat aircraft.

http://tass.com/defense/1002992

MOSCOW, May 5. /TASS/. Ten MiG-31 fighter jets (NATO reporting name: Foxhound) fitted with the air-launched Kinzhal (Dagger) hypersonic missile are on test combat duty, Russian Deputy Defense Minister Yuri Borisov said in an interview published on the Zvezda TV channel website on Saturday.

"It is a cutting-edge weapon, namely a hypersonic long-range missile capable of overcoming air and missile defenses. It is invincible, having serious combat might and potential. The MIG-31 is its carrier as the jet is the most fitted for accelerating this missile to required speeds," he said.

"In support that it is not something exotic, [I’ll say] today ten jets have gone on test combat duty and are ready for use depending on the situation," Borisov said.

The project of the Kinzhal air-launched hypersonic missile platform was unveiled by Russian President Vladimir Putin in his State of the Nation Address to the Federal Assembly on March 1.

According to the Russian president, the Kinzhal missile flying at more than 10 times the speed of the sound is capable of maneuvering and overcoming existing and future air defense and anti-ballistic missile defense systems. Since December 1, 2017, Kinzhal hypersonic missile systems have been on experimental and combat duty.

Initially, the MiG-31BM was named as the aircraft to carry Kinzhal hypersonic missile systems. Later, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said that the MiG-31K had been picked as a carrier for Kinzhal hypersonic missiles.

Borisov also said that Peresvet laser combat system is likely to be shown at a Victory Day parade in Moscow in a span of two or three years, as now it is being upgraded.

"I think it is possible in two or three years, since the work is underway to upgrade the complex. If today it requires rather many support vehicles, it will be quite compact soon. Perhaps, we will show it to the public, too," Borisov said when asked if the laser system would be presented during the Victory Day parade.

#5468 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 45,360 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:09 AM

#5469 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 45,360 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:31 AM

https://www.mirror.c...litary-12755285 Russia is preparing for war, British military experts warn

Hosts of the World Cup are prepared to use their "conventional forces" as well as waging cyber war, according to the head of the British Army

#5470 glenn239

glenn239

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,968 posts

Posted Today, 07:30 AM

S-400 drills.  Nothing too interesting, but some pics of inflatable decoys around 1:02.

Edited by glenn239, Today, 07:30 AM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users