209 replies to this topic

#161 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 1033 AM

PAK-FA already has an IRST. Perhaps they just ran out of room in the nose with the radar installation? Most strike missions probably use INS/GPS anyway. When I see footage of LGBs hitting stuff it usually is a CAS situation, and presumably you wouldn't do CAS in contested airspace.

This. Albeit not exatly "ran out of space", but just never intended to have this system inside. T-50 was always multirole with AS as main role, unlike F-35 which is same multirole but with strike mission as head goal.

#162 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,565 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 1122 AM

PAK-FA already has an IRST. Perhaps they just ran out of room in the nose with the radar installation? Most strike missions probably use INS/GPS anyway. When I see footage of LGBs hitting stuff it usually is a CAS situation, and presumably you wouldn't do CAS in contested airspace.

I know. It just strikes me as common sense to use the same system for both target identification and for guiding laser weapons.

#163 JasonJ

JasonJ

nemui

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,020 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 31 March 2019 - 0700 AM

Russia wants to sell SU-57 to China.

Russia is reportedly eyeing to export its most advanced fighter jet Su-57 to China, as Chinese experts called the offer an indication of close strategic relations between the two countries.

While Chinese analysts are becoming convinced by the Su-57's combat capabilities, some remain skeptical that the Russian warplane can integrate into the Chinese system since China has developed its own advanced J-20 fighter jet.

The Su-57E, an export version of the Su-57, is expected to receive export approval by Russian President Vladimir Putin in a few weeks, said Viktor Kladov, director for international cooperation and regional policy at Russia's Rostec defense industrial holding company, at a media briefing at the Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition in Malaysia, Jane's Defense Weekly reported on Thursday.

Kladov named China as a potential customer. "China has recently taken delivery of 24 Su-35 aircraft, and in the next two years [China] will make a decision to either procure additional Su-35s, build the Su-35 in China, or to buy a fifth-generation fighter aircraft, which could be another opportunity for the Su-57E," he said.

Xu Guangyu, a senior consultant at the China Arms Control and Disarmament Association, told the Global Times on Sunday that it is possible for China to make the purchase, because China needs to study from other countries' strengths whenever possible.

Kladov's remarks are also an indication of cooperation in high-end military technology under the framework of the two countries' strategic cooperation, Xu said.

Dubbed by Putin as "the world's best military plane" on March 19, the Su-57 is a fifth-generation multirole fighter jet capable of both aerial combat and hitting ground and naval targets, Russia's Tass news agency reported.

Wang Yongqing, chief designer of the Shenyang Aircraft Design Institute under the state-owned Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC), wrote in the February 2019 issue of the Aerospace Knowledge magazine that the Su-57 attaches strong importance to supersonic cruise capability and super-maneuverability, and intentionally reduces stealth, a capability said to be crucial to a fifth-generation fighter, to a secondary priority.

While US warplanes stress stealth and beyond visual range attacks, the Su-57 could evade incoming long-range missiles through super-maneuverability and engage enemies at close range, where stealth loses meaning and super-maneuverability gains the upper hand, Wang Yongqing said.

However, Aerospace Knowledge's chief editor Wang Ya'nan said although he is convinced of the Su-57's capabilities, he is less keen to see China buy it because China has already developed its own fifth-generation fighter jet, the J-20.

China is perfecting its own fifth-generation technology as the J-20 is on its way to mass production. During this period, equipping another fighter jet, especially an imported one, could bring challenges to the integration of Chinese military's weapon and equipment systems and disrupt development and training plans, Wang Ya'nan told the Global Times on Sunday, noting that while a technical study is possible, using the Su-57 in the Chinese military is unlikely.

India could also be interested in buying the Su-57, Kladov said.

Unlike China, India does not have a fifth-generation fighter and will not be able to develop one anytime soon, so the Su-57 is an attractive warplane to India, Wang Ya'nan said.

The Su-57 could also become a strong market competitor to the Chinese FC-31 stealth fighter jet, Weihutang, a column affiliated with China Central Television (CCTV), reported on Friday, noting that the FC-31 and the US' F-35 are the only two current fifth-generation fighter jets available on the international market.

http://www.globaltim...t/1144092.shtml

#164 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 0850 AM

I want to say that I don't buy that shit, but that Su-35 deal... Still too pesky to consider seriously for now.

#165 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 1107 AM

Russia sounds like it desperately wants to sell, aka "offload a large proportion of the cost of the" SU57 to anyone at this point. They will be trying to sell them to Turkey and the North Vietnamese next.

In a similar vein, Washington, according to Tyler Rogoway over at The Drive, may be keen on the idea of re-opening the F-22 line "on Japan's dime". I don't know if Tyler understands how insulting the implications of that are.

#166 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,988 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 1250 PM

I want to say that I don't buy that shit, but that Su-35 deal... Still too pesky to consider seriously for now.

That article said more Chinese Su-35 buys might happen. I always considered the buy to be purely a technology transfer. What is your take?

Edited by Josh, 02 April 2019 - 1254 PM.

#167 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,988 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 1305 PM

Russia sounds like it desperately wants to sell, aka "offload a large proportion of the cost of the" SU57 to anyone at this point. They will be trying to sell them to Turkey and the North Vietnamese next.

In a similar vein, Washington, according to Tyler Rogoway over at The Drive, may be keen on the idea of re-opening the F-22 line "on Japan's dime". I don't know if Tyler understands how insulting the implications of that are.

I highly doubt it would occur even if the Japanese funded it; a lot of the tech is just dated now. The only significant advantage over F-35 is super cruise; the F-35's shape was compromised by the USMC requirements. A stretched version of the airframe would probably solve that issue while maintaining most of the current code base. If Japan was interested in that type of aircraft being built by the US for it, that would be the cheapest, quickest route. In that case yes, I think the US would then buy some.

#168 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 1528 PM

That article said more Chinese Su-35 buys might happen. I always considered the buy to be purely a technology transfer. What is your take?

On one hand it was taken mostly for tech. OTOH chinese pilots are praising Su-35 as the best plane in PLAAF inventory for today (no direct comparison with J-20 tho, so take it as you wish: it's not really there for now or it's not as good as praised). So I won't be too surprised in any case and will be glad if further buys will occur due to no additional tech loss but additional moni.

#169 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,988 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 1545 PM

J-20 apparently hasn't received its final engine yet, so I think current examples are under powered. Something I'm sure the Su-35 is not. That might make the difference right now, or they just might not consider it to truly be an operational type despite official PRC claims. That said I think they were much more interested in the radar and other avionics than truly running a new type of aircraft, but if they buy more then I guess they are serious in operating the type.

#170 JasonJ

JasonJ

nemui

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,020 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 0806 AM

Supposedly the major kinks in their new engine were worked it at the end of last year. So maybe give a few more months after for finishing touches, and then some more months for manufacturing, and then installing into new made J-20s. Maybe around September they'll finally have a J-20 flying with the new engine.

J-20 development has been long. Seems like about 10 were made so far. Would have expected more by now, like 25 or so. Well see with the new engine. Maybe it'll never fly, which would fly in the face of the PRC hardcore fanboys as surrounding countries start filling up on F-35s.

Edited by JasonJ, 03 April 2019 - 0806 AM.

#171 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,988 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 0816 AM

I don't think its development has been overly long compared to F-35 or Su-57, both of which hit delays for various reasons. In fact Su-57 is pretty much in the same boat: a handful of examples that are pre-production a/c, still waiting for the final engine. I don't know when J-20 development started exactly but I don't think it is overly protracted in comparison and I've no doubt they will make it work. There's too much prestige invested in it at this point, even if it ends up not being a particularly successful aircraft.

Edited by Josh, 03 April 2019 - 0817 AM.

#172 JasonJ

JasonJ

nemui

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,020 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 0837 AM

Long enough to disappoint the hardcore fanboys. If a J-20 with new engines isn't flying by the end of the year, disppointment will hit.

#173 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 0943 AM

J-20 development has been long.

It wasn't.

#174 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 1133 AM

The fact that the development of the J20 has not apparently been long or protractedly more incompetent than other 5th gen programs is frustrating.

25 years ago, the idea of an indigenously funded in-house Chinese stealth fighter program was about as conceivable as an in-house Chinese X-wing starfighter program. That China and Chinese are now actually in a position to introspectively ask questions such as "what is taking our stealth fighter development so long" versus the "how do we feed ourselves on our $317 percap GDP" kinds of questions they were introspectively asking in the 1990s is disappointing and frustrating as well in various ways.

Edited by Nobu, 03 April 2019 - 2234 PM.

#175 JasonJ

JasonJ

nemui

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,020 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 1748 PM

It wasn't.

Alright Mr. Pro. You just signed up to inform the site about all China military activities. You (along with truth is never offensive, country and people, etc.) earned it by dumbing down evident readership (thus not worth it for me to inform the body) by overlooking the different perspective I figured I had made clear. GL and keep being a tough guy. 時間もったいない。

#176 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,259 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 03 April 2019 - 1759 PM

Broken again...

#177 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,988 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 1817 PM

Well a legitimate question would be, when did the J-20 project begin? I think it started shortly after F-35 but I have no start date as a point of comparison. Its possible that information is not public.

#178 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 2258 PM

It wasn't.

Alright Mr. Pro. You just signed up to inform the site about all China military activities. You (along with truth is never offensive, country and people, etc.) earned it by dumbing down evident readership (thus not worth it for me to inform the body) by overlooking the different perspective I figured I had made clear. GL and keep being a tough guy. 時間もったいない。

Well a legitimate question would be, when did the J-20 project begin? I think it started shortly after F-35 but I have no start date as a point of comparison. Its possible that information is not public.

A good question, possibly at some point during their J10 program when they realized the limitations of it.

#179 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 0154 AM

Paper project means quite a little. First flight date is good indicator for normal development process (not one akin Tejas).
And from it J-20 is 8 years away. This is less than quite a few 4 gen fighters and less than any 5 gen that is worth consideration for now.
Same goes for T-50. It's 9 years after maiden. This is not by any means "dissapoingly long" or whatever it is usually said. One may look at F-22 or 35 for comparison.
As for JJ making yet another bombaleylo - well, good riddance.

#180 JasonJ

JasonJ

nemui

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,020 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 0218 AM

Paper project means quite a little. First flight date is good indicator for normal development process (not one akin Tejas).
And from it J-20 is 8 years away. This is less than quite a few 4 gen fighters and less than any 5 gen that is worth consideration for now.
Same goes for T-50. It's 9 years after maiden. This is not by any means "dissapoingly long" or whatever it is usually said. One may look at F-22 or 35 for comparison.
As for JJ making yet another bombaleylo - well, good riddance.

Failed to read again. Didn't say quitting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SU-57, T-50, Russia, Sukhoi, flying pancake, India

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users