Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 0704 AM

The front case plate is not ejected:

kontakt5_2.jpg

The photo shows undetonated panels.

Kontakt-5 definitely uses its front plate as a flyer plate. It is the main reason why each panel covers a large surface area and is packed with so much explosive mass; to propel the 15-20mm front plate. I'm not sure what other evidence is needed to prove this, because it seems rather obvious to me.

#22 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 0926 AM

I agree that is the most obvious conclusion and I may have been fed bullshit. Last time I looked into it the available sources seemed to be adamant that the thick outer plate undergoes no more than elastic and probably also some plastic deformation.

Here is the text associated with the picture above:

'It is very important to note that while light ERA containers are completely destroyed in the process of detonation, Kontakt-5 sections are not, as their detonation is contained by the outside armor plates. Therefore even after detonation Kontakt-5 sections continue to provide some applique protection.'

'The second section from the right is spent. Notice lack of damage to the Kontakt-5 outer shell'

Now it does actually look like there has been a detonation here, as the side plate of the element has been ejected.

#23 Interlinked

Interlinked

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 1004 AM

I agree that is the most obvious conclusion and I may have been fed bullshit. Last time I looked into it the available sources seemed to be adamant that the thick outer plate undergoes no more than elastic and probably also some plastic deformation.

Here is the text associated with the picture above:

'It is very important to note that while light ERA containers are completely destroyed in the process of detonation, Kontakt-5 sections are not, as their detonation is contained by the outside armor plates. Therefore even after detonation Kontakt-5 sections continue to provide some applique protection.'

'The second section from the right is spent. Notice lack of damage to the Kontakt-5 outer shell'

Now it does actually look like there has been a detonation here, as the side plate of the element has been ejected.

10 years ago, Fofanov's site was better than nothing, but there is much, much more accurate information about this sort of stuff in the English part of the Internet nowadays.

The "side panel" here is just for inserting and removing the 4S22 explosive elements.

#24 Stefan Kotsch

Stefan Kotsch

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 1011 AM

All that is missing is the lid for the lower ERA element.  No detonation has occurred.  The lid is for arming the ERA by loading the explosive charge.

As interlinked it said.

Edited by Stefan Kotsch, 24 September 2019 - 1014 AM.