35 replies to this topic

#21 Noble713

Noble713

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 1855 PM

I was just at the 53rd Bde HQ and IIRC they were prepping a mission to Afghanistan. Or did a unit in the brigade just come back from Afghanistan? Something like that.

We had a bunch of guys come back from Afghanistan late last year. I think there is one company from another battalion that might be rotating there.

Unless you are going to theater, then you get priority and the equipment and funding starts to flow in...

Hmmm, last drill the unit had a bunch of M68 CCO's recently "donated"/on loan from BDE HQ. We were also issued an additional 2 sets of ACUs. The other Fire Team Leader in my squad voiced concerns about us getting deployed, but considering the craziness at HHC I thought it was unlikely. If I show up this month and we get even more gear I guess that settles it. Right now only the 3 NCOs even have TA-50 and rucks, and I only have a ruck b/c I bought one on Ebay. Our 5 soldiers are lucky if they have knee pads and a camelback. :angry:

#22 Gunguy

Gunguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 0937 AM

Some slightly good news on the horizon. The COS of the Army, I can't think of his name right now was testifying to Congress that the Army is now broken and needs to be fixed. He is pushing VERY hard for massive amounts of money for new gear. He has a Congress that is open to that, so he might well get all he wants. They (the Army) have not presented the case so forcefully before, they always said it could become a major issue etc. Now he says IT IS a major issue. I guess they will be getting a ton of money in the next year or so. The gear will follow two years after that. It takes time to make all that new stuff........

I'm impressed that the Army is seriously turning up the heat on its money requests. Good for them! The Air Force and Navy (which I support) don't need everything........

#23 Scott Cunningham

Scott Cunningham

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,341 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 0946 AM

The Army CoS did this back in September. He told Congress that the army was broken and what was needed to fix it. Essentially he put his nuts on the line to say it. No major changes yet that I have seen.

The current deployment/rest/ARFORGEN scheme has been unsustainable, and the Army knew it. When officials would be promising troops specific rest periods, then telling news crews later of troop surges, sustained deployments, etc.... you could tell they were just saying whatever they felt like at the time.

This isn't the first time. Remember Bill Clinton's famous "One year only, then we are out" for Bosnia? Seven years later we were still messing around over there.

#24 Gunguy

Gunguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 0958 AM

The Army CoS did this back in September. He told Congress that the army was broken and what was needed to fix it. Essentially he put his nuts on the line to say it. No major changes yet that I have seen.

The current deployment/rest/ARFORGEN scheme has been unsustainable, and the Army knew it. When officials would be promising troops specific rest periods, then telling news crews later of troop surges, sustained deployments, etc.... you could tell they were just saying whatever they felt like at the time.

This isn't the first time. Remember Bill Clinton's famous "One year only, then we are out" for Bosnia? Seven years later we were still messing around over there.

Scott!, don't confuse Congress with the facts! I know all of this is open to the whim of Congress and the Executive Branch. We still need the upsized military (Army and Marines) AND the increased budgets that come with it. As a Superpower, we should be able to fight one regional war without breaking the services. I guess (I hope) the military will get larger budgets for the future. But, I know Congress and what they do in peacetime........weasels.

Also, if they are going to actually use the Reserves and Guard, then they need to equip them with full gear and not short them. If it takes 5% to 6% of our GDP, then so be it. Well, that is my two cents....

#25 konev

konev

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 1134 AM

Gents,

Just saw this in today's Army Times:

Guard units alerted for Iraq deployments
Staff report
Posted : Monday Apr 9, 2007 11:54:26 EDT

Four Army National Guard brigade combat teams — more than 12,000 soldiers — have been alerted for duty in Iraq, the Army confirmed Monday.

The first BCT will deploy in December, and the other three in 2008. These most recent alerts are not associated with the current buildup of forces. Instead, they are part of routine unit rotations, according to the Army.

The brigade combat teams that were alerted are:

• 39th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, Little Rock, Ark. The 39th BCT last deployed as part of the 1st Cavalry Division from February 2004 to February 2005, serving in Baghdad and Taji, Iraq.

• 45th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, Oklahoma City. The 45th more recently served in Afghanistan, deploying in the fall of 2003 to support the Afghan National Army.

• 37th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, Columbus, Ohio. The 37th’s last deployment was to Kosovo, from August 2004 to February 2005. This will be the brigade’s first deployment as a modular brigade combat team formation.

• 76th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, Indianapolis. The 76th has had various elements of its brigade deployed since November 2002 to Iraq and Afghanistan. Its last brigade-level rotation was May 2004 to August 2005 in Afghanistan.

More than 250,000 National Guard soldiers have been mobilized since the beginning of Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.

#26 Manic Moran

Manic Moran

Mad Irish Tanking Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 1310 PM

Ooof.. Looking at that list of dates of return of previous units, looks like my crowd are going to be in the following rotation. Just missed that one. Hopefully no new wars break out.

NTM

#27 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 1404 PM

Manic,
If your team went back would it be on foot or do you still have tanks?

#28 Old Tanker

Old Tanker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 1428 PM

The question is where do they draw the fillers for these brigades ?

#29 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2007 - 1434 PM

Yeah, that is the "12 (ahum) month" question.

#30 Gunguy

Gunguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 0950 AM

Nick, I believe if you go back, your unit is to be issued the new "Combat Bicycle" instead of tanks. You are expected to ride and shoot your 9mm at the same time. You (personally) are the fully automated fire control system, able to track all known targets while on the move. I hope you are up to the job. Oh, and don't get your bicycle stolen as they cost over $100,000 each! Stateside civilian replacements are only $300 but they don't have the desert camo paint on them. Good Luck Nick. You will be armed with the best we can manage...... :blink:

#31 SCFalken

SCFalken

Eagerly awaiting the return of Feudalism

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,166 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 1014 AM

Hopefully no new wars break out.

NTM

Oh oh.

You jinxed it....

That's the geopolitical version of saying "let's split up" in a horror movie!

Falken

Edited by SCFalken, 10 April 2007 - 1016 AM.

#32 Danno

Danno

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 1210 PM

Does anybody know if the 125 Infantry from Michigan is deploying with the 37th Brigade? That's my old guard unit.

#33 Manic Moran

Manic Moran

Mad Irish Tanking Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 1312 PM

Manic,
If your team went back would it be on foot or do you still have tanks?

Depends on what they have us doing. The unit has not forgotten its designated role: We have an AT this year which is over 3 weeks long, and it's all tank-oriented for my company: Tank Tables VII and VIII, plus conversion training for the M1A1 AIMS which we're receiving this summer. Bradley guys are doing their own gunnery and conversion. Doesn't mean to say they can't just say "Right lads, leave the tracks behind. Here's a Huimmer"

NTM

#34 Gunguy

Gunguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 1646 PM

Listening to the news a few minutes ago, it seems that the Army is going to really call up a lot of people and keep them there for the 15 months. The current administration is really uping the forces to try to make progress. I don't see any progress unless they can stop the Sunni/Shiite war. It seems they are out to kill each other no matter what we do......

The good think is that we are fighting them over there. So, that is at least one good point.

Next year we may see the "new" 24 month in country, 6 months back in the states call up......... :huh:

#35 BP

BP

Kulak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,841 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 1648 PM

The good think is that we are fighting them over there. So, that is at least one good point.

Exactly. I mean, the Mahdi Army was setting up an assembly area just down the road in Myrtle Beach. Good thing we're nipping it in the bud.

#36 Guest_JamesG123_*

Guest_JamesG123_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2007 - 1730 PM

Depends on what they have us doing. The unit has not forgotten its designated role: We have an AT this year which is over 3 weeks long, and it's all tank-oriented for my company: Tank Tables VII and VIII, plus conversion training for the M1A1 AIMS which we're receiving this summer.

Oh, rub it in why don't ya. lucky bastards....

Naw. Let the Islamists have to fly to the other side of the world to a strange foreign country, and let us commute from home to the war every day.
:P