209 replies to this topic

#181 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Interests:material engineering, composite armor, GPC, battletank technology

Posted 14 April 2019 - 1252 PM

Don't know if anyone's interested, but I wrote a piece rebutting some of the points raised in that BSDCAN talk -- http://www.ciar.org/...buttal_D90F74AA

#182 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,857 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 1619 PM

Don't know if anyone's interested, but I wrote a piece rebutting some of the points raised in that BSDCAN talk -- http://www.ciar.org/...buttal_D90F74AA

Good article, I like it.

#183 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

Now is the winter of our discontent

• Members
  • 31,701 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 15 April 2019 - 0720 AM

Good work. 

I would add a clarifying paragraph on server issues vs client issues. Having BIND come up reliably and evented on a server is a lot more important than the various Gnome or whatever things fired up on desktops.

One of my gripes with Windows is the proliferation of processes named "Service Host: Local Service" which yields service such as "Windows Font Cache Service". How do you harden a system with that many obscure processes? 

#184 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,857 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 0601 AM

I am thinking about repurposing another old laptop, but this time to run Linux Mint Debian Edition.  So my question: Flatpack or Snaps?   Also it seems that the various BSDs have pretty much fallen from relevance and with their acceptance of the woke Code of Conduct, shedding contributors left and right.

#185 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,857 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 2122 PM

I noticed something tonight, I was updating my MacbookPro laptop (2015 model), and it took what seemed like forever. At least 20 minutes with restarts, reloads, etc before I had a desktop. I guess one of the greatest things about Linux (and Mint specifically) is that you never have downtime, no reboots, and no wasted time like in Windows or Mac O/S. With its BSD underpinnings, I am suprised that Mac O/S has the issue, and is not more like Linux. It makes no sense at all. While I love the look of the Mac O/S, I really hate its lack of control that you as a user have over things. Same with Windows, and while Linux has made great strides, it still looks like a home-brew cobbled together o/s at times, just not as bad as in the early days.

I also noticed that the keyboard on my Macbook Pro laptop is so much nicer than the new one.  It has a much better feel for typing.  I am posting this a little under the influence of a very nice Cabernet Sauvignon from Lost Maples.  

#186 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 15,800 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 1741 PM

Well, you can install terminal and GNU userland on macos. But I guess the Apple stuff layered on top makes the problems.

"(and Mint specifically) is that you never have downtime, no reboots"

not if a new Kernel comes in an update ;) kexec is normally not installed. 

snap or flatpack? Why not both, but you should take a deep look before installing, as those packages can get really big, when they pack all teh stuff needed into one file. I wanted to try flatpack with clementine media player and noticed it was several gigabytes big, because it included all manner of codec. which you normally find on a typical mint install anyway.

So far I have only used snap for like two games and flatpack for nothing so far, because I did not have the need.

Edited by Panzermann, 19 May 2019 - 1745 PM.

#187 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,857 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 0542 AM

I really just use the Mint Updater, and have not tried Flatpack yet.  Other than HTOP, Mint comes with everything I need for the most part (well I have to add Nethack...).  I can't recall the last time I had to reboot when a Kernel update happened, I just keep on working, and the new Kernel is installed the next time I boot/re-boot (I shut things down when I am finished with the computer).  

#188 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiles, guns, computers

Posted 20 May 2019 - 1225 PM

You reboot Mint? :) I don't think my Mint laptop has shutdown in 2019 yet.

#189 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,857 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 1938 PM

When I am done doing anything on the laptop, or desktop for that matter, I shut things down.  I have never left my computers on when I am not using them.  I just got a new system, Lupe's old HP AMD FX laptop.  I got her a new one, so I will re-purpose her old one.  

#190 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,857 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 0626 AM

Anyone use Terminal in Mac O/S for anything productive?  Or has Apple crippled terminal like it cripples everything else so they control what you do?  This guy has some tricks:    

#191 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiles, guns, computers

Posted 30 May 2019 - 1241 PM

Terminal just gets you to the underlying *nix parts, mach kernal/bsd in mac OS X case. Works just fine for that, functionality is just fine, the ability to have multiple tabs open is great. I've used it for years and never noticed deficiencies compared to xterm or the like on Solaris, AIX, Linux.

Edited by GregShaw, 30 May 2019 - 1242 PM.

#192 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 1420 PM

Yeah, my wife uses MacOS, and I've occasionally used Terminal on her MBP to troubleshoot problems from the command line.  It's an adequate terminal.

My main frustration is the lack of focus-follows-pointer, which is a feature of the MacOS GUI and not of Terminal specifically.  It means that when cut-and-pasting from one window to another, I have to bring up each window in turn, which feels like a hassle.

Similarly when I want to have one window on top so I can read it but be typing to a window underneath it, MacOS doesn't allow for that (or if it does, I haven't figured out how).

Sometimes I would ssh into her MBP from my laptop so I could use the command line on her system but using my graphical environment (fvwm/X11), but she thought that was "creepy" (even though I only did it when she explicitly asked for my help) so that's no longer an option.

#193 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,857 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 1908 PM

Apparently there are some (advanced) users commenting on Slackware over Arch/Gentoo as a better distro.

#194 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 1555 PM

Eh .. they should know better.  Slackware, Arch and Gentoo are very different distributions, each with their strengths and weaknesses.  The "best" one for you will depend entirely on your individual needs and values.

I primarily value stability and robustness, and Slackware is top dog in this regard.

I don't mind the relative lack of package management automation.

I don't mind that there's a fairly small number of officially supported packages.

I don't mind that the packages tend to be a couple of versions behind (when a newer version of a program or library is known to have problems, Slackware tends to stay on the last known-good version).

I don't mind that it's not as desktop-focused as it could be.

I don't mind developing to a well-defined platform (as opposed to installing dependencies piecemeal which might or might not have ever been tested together).

If someone does mind any of that (and many people do!), then they're going to be happier with a different distribution.  Arch is great for the desktop-oriented user who wants the latest of everything.  Gentoo is great for people who appreciate the advantages of building everything for their chosen platform.  To each their own :-)

#195 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,857 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 2203 PM

I was always in awe of the Slackware guys, they were the real deal.  Me. I am not studly enough to go to a distro like Slackware, I'll stick with Mint.  But you have my utter respect, sir.

#196 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

Now is the winter of our discontent

• Members
  • 31,701 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 01 June 2019 - 2212 PM

A bit dated;

71tvjPE.jpg

#197 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,857 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 1335 PM

LOL, that was good.

46rqaq7ewlx01.png

#198 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 1551 PM

A bit dated

.. and yet the depictions for Fedora/CentOS, Ubuntu and Slackware are still amazingly accurate ;-)

#199 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,857 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 1756 PM

Wow, Gentoo users get no respect.

#200 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 1810 PM

Much respect to Gentoo for spawning the eudev project, which allows all the non-systemd distributions to continue using udev (for loading device drivers and managing device interfaces) after systemd subsumed udev.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users