15 replies to this topic

#1 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,691 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 1407 PM

My daughters computer screen goes black after the last update. We can see her mouse icon move, I tried doing repairs from the blue help screen, rolled it back and it worked but then it updated again and same problem. It loads fine, goes to the sign in page, and then black.

#2 CT96

CT96

Deputy Assistant Secretary to the Dragon Slayer Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Interests:Miltary History, Geopolitics, Computers

Posted 21 January 2018 - 1725 PM

is this before or after logging in?

If before, are there multiple connectors for the monitor? Sometimes it drives the display on a specific connector, regardless of which you would prefer (I tangled with this on one of my computers, where the default port it wants to drive is the VGA port, but I want to use my DVI ports instead). 

Can you boot it in safe mode and have the screen not be black?

#3 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 25,312 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 1728 PM

My daughters computer screen goes black after the last update. We can see her mouse icon move, I tried doing repairs from the blue help screen, rolled it back and it worked but then it updated again and same problem. It loads fine, goes to the sign in page, and then black.

Mine did the same thing about 10 days ago.  After a couple of cold reboots it's now working properly.  Maybe the same thing, maybe not.  Sorry, probably of no help at all.

#4 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,336 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary armor - tactics and technology

Posted 21 January 2018 - 1914 PM

Can you log on in secure boot mode?

I'd create a new user account and then see after the reboot if it suffers from the same problem, even if you set the desktop resolution to something like 1024 or so. Next step, replacing or reinstalling graphics card driver.

#5 CT96

CT96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 1927 PM

If you can boot into safe mode you can remove/disable the offending graphics driver and it should come up on next boot with a basic minimum driver allowing you to reinstall cleanly. 

#6 nabqrules

nabqrules

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Astronomy, Computers, Gaming, Military History...

Posted 21 January 2018 - 2127 PM

recent windows updates have been updating display drivers with newer ones that haven't been fully compatible, thus the problem. in device manager the display driver can be rolled back but the first thing that needs to happen is if you type 'windows key' and r you'll get the run dialog. type control to get into control panel. look for system, click on it. then on the left look for advanced system settings. a new small window will open, click on the  hardware tab, and then device installation settings, in the dialog that opens, click on no.

that will stop windows update from updating device drivers, which doesn't need to be micromanaged like microsoft is doing.if you don't know how to roll back device drivers let us know.

note - i'm used to speaking with 70 plus year olds who have absolutely no clue what to do so my instructions are very basic, i'm not being condescending, i'm just used to having to give instructions in this way. if you know how to do stuff let me know and i'll abbreviate instructions

Edited by nabqrules, 21 January 2018 - 2131 PM.

#7 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,691 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 0005 AM

I tried uninstalling the video card  and rebooting, but if the driver is the problem I do that and see what happens. I can roll it back to the last version, but it keeps updating again. Thanks

#8 nabqrules

nabqrules

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Astronomy, Computers, Gaming, Military History...

Posted 22 January 2018 - 0048 AM

that constant updating is the reason i gave directions to go into control panel. there is a separate setting from windows update that can be turned off to stop windows from updating the driver, you may have to disconnect from the internet temporarily while you change the setting so that windows doesn't update while you work on fixing it.

#9 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,691 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 1714 PM

Thanks just made the change, been able to stop the update by stopping it in task manager/services, but have to do that every time we start the computer. might let it run tonite and update and see if your idea works.

#10 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,691 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 0101 AM

that constant updating is the reason i gave directions to go into control panel. there is a separate setting from windows update that can be turned off to stop windows from updating the driver, you may have to disconnect from the internet temporarily while you change the setting so that windows doesn't update while you work on fixing it.

Hmmm thanks, that didn't work, mutter, mutter, effing fucking Windows 10, mutter, mutter

#11 CT96

CT96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 0801 AM

Hmmm thanks, that didn't work, mutter, mutter, effing fucking Windows 10, mutter, mutter

you took the words literally out of my mouth. I mutter that exact phrase probably a dozen or more times a day, EVERY fucking day.

#12 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,398 posts
  • Interests:everything (almost)

Posted 10 September 2018 - 1215 PM

Speaking of black screen my desktop is that way. Yesterday the machine was crashing so hard it would self shutdown. Now it seems to be working OK but the screen is still black. I can see the icons but I am concerned the computer will go back into super crash mode again.  Any ideas?

#13 CT96

CT96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 1930 PM

If you can see the icons then it most likely is simply that your wallpaper/background is now black. Try changing your desktop theme and you should get something.

In several iterations of Windows if you have licensing issues it will black out your background, and even if/once you've resolved those issues it will stick with the black background until you set it to something else.

#14 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,398 posts
  • Interests:everything (almost)

Posted 11 September 2018 - 1440 PM

That worked. 

#15 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiles, guns, computers

Posted 11 September 2018 - 1526 PM

Last update broke my mother's Win 10 laptop, it now boots to a blank desktop with nothing but a recycle bin on it. Start menu doesn't work, only way to do anything is from task mangler, starting a process from it.

I made Linux Mint repair disk a couple months ago, going to boot with it and try a couple tools, but I expect I'll just copy the data to a portable disk then install Mint.

#16 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,888 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 0610 AM

https://www.guru3d.c...r-download.html

Follow the directions, after you download (BUT DO NOT INSTALL!!!!) the latest driver for your video card.  Boot into safe mode after running the uninstaller, then install the video card driver.  It works like a charm.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users