170 replies to this topic

#161 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,552 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 0806 AM

Mismatching hulls and customizing with the insides is probably a bit much for starting out. On the other hand, starting with little gizmos that mean little on their own could be a good way to get better at it before going into a full tank. Well nice and slowly. Soviet or modern Russian, kind of like the look of all the EAR blocks and other attachments more than the plain turret look. But in the end, if going with one, it'll be Japanese.

#162 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Of the Veronica Cartwright Ilk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,273 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 0259 AM

I had a look the other day on Amazon, and I thought I saw a 1-25 scale Type 90. That might be a good starting point.

I notice Tamiya have also reissued their 1-25 scale Centurion and Chieftain with new RC gear. A little too small for me personally, but still welcome.

#163 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,552 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 2039 PM

Many things to consider before putting money down on it.

#164 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,552 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 0900 AM

The light turned green :D

I'm thinking of going 1-16.

#165 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,140 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 14 February 2018 - 2242 PM

Its pretty good isnt it. :)

Id love to have a system so you could get it to play different sounds on pressing  a transmitter switch. I was idly thinking about building the Kellys Hero's Sherman, and the Heng Long 105mm Sherman with a new 76mm Barrel would be a good match. However, the sticking point would be having a storage system that could have recorded music. I was idly thinking about using a raspberry pi which has the necessary storage space, but it would mean figuring out a way to turn the music on from a transmitter command.

Maybe im just very strange. :D

Upgrade the electronics like the IBU which uses an SD card for storing the sound files. You can make your RC tank fire its main gun with the sound of a cow moooing when doing so if you want to.

#166 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 45,273 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 0259 AM

Yeah ive been looking at those. Ive also been looking at this, which looks at replicating many of the functions at a cheaper price.

http://www.openpanzer.org/

Let us know how you get on  Jason.

#167 JasonJ

JasonJ

takoyaki8plz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,552 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 0702 AM

I am thinking of going with just one, so instead of taking one to learn with and then go for something bigger and more expensive like 1-16, I'm thinking of taking it real slowly with the one judt the one big one. I'm feeling no desire to finish it quickly, rather I'm looking forward deeply learning all the parts and the way it works. Pfobably not that fantastic to those that are already used to manhandling electronics, but would be new for me. Although, not entirely new since I some experience in putting together computers, for whatever small relation it may have. Also, as an added bonus, 1-16 would match both you two.

So the options with 1-16 are tough though. I have lots of WW2 1-35 scale so would like to go modern. Type 10 is obviously attractive to me, but man, its expensive. Stuart, you mentioned a Type 90 1-16, but maybe you were thinking the Type 10. It'll take some mental power and time to figure how to rationalize getting one for that price. Tamiya also has an M1 Leo 2 but at about the same price, so Type 10 takes the lead. Also, Thomas already has those even if Heng Long, so a Type 10 would be a nice mix in as well. So then there are the Heng Long ones. If they had either a Type 90 or Type 10 at their regular prices. Then they would probably be it. They have the T-90 and Type 99. May seem contrary to may usual rants, but Type 99 takes my interest a little more. And could add it in fairly easily if having a collection, but I'm settling for just one. Still have lots of 1-35 left to do. I have the feeling I'm gonna do the Tamiya Type 10, but I'll have to sit on it for some more time for its price.

Edited by JasonJ, 15 February 2018 - 0706 AM.

#168 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 45,273 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 0329 AM

If you want an easy one to learn assembly in this scale on, Its worth considering the Sherman. And the suspension looks completely epic going over rough ground.

Yeah, sorry about that, its a type 10. There is a type 90, but its another company that do it in 1-25 scale. Ive not seen it yet, so I cannot comment on what the suspension is like.

https://www.amazon.c...ds=type 90 tank

Heng long are not very advanced. But they do offer a good basis for modding the hell out of it to get something you want.

#169 2805662

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 0400 AM

Tamiya does a 1-16 Type 90 that looks pretty good. That might be a good one to learn on, though as Tomas says, they are pricey.

Ive finally got my Tiger 1 going again ok, though it now needs repainting.  Unfortunately ive got this problem where something has to look perfect, or I get unduly miserable about it. Its one reason why ive a love hate issue with modelling.

Stuart, its a Type 10 - very nice kit, I have it. Almost at the painting stage with their 1/16 Abrams.

ETA: just saw your correction.

Edited by 2805662, 10 March 2018 - 0401 AM.

#170 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 45,273 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 0922 AM

Yeah, Id really like that abrams, but its something like over 1000 pounds here now, which is ridiculous. I probably am boing to have to go via the Heng Long route, but to get that any good you will probably end up spending a comparable amount. Im glad I got the Tiger before the pound collapsed. :D

#171 2805662

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 1515 PM

I only build static kits, which cuts down the cost a little. Maybe buy the display version & put the HL electronics in it? There is the Hooben kit coming, which looks promising.

A 1000 pounds is crazy money.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users