299 replies to this topic

#281 Mr King

Mr King

Shopping Center Tactician

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 1855 PM

Went to a local artisan brewery Friday with a buddy. They were open to the public to fill growlers. They grow their own hops, and were going to grow their own wheat this year but it didn't survive the severe winter. They said part of the key to their beer was the water from the aquifer they draw from. Very nice people. Were happy to spend time to explain the brewing process to us, and discuss the key differences between the types of beers. Their brewery is nestled out among farm land belonging to a family who has been growing fruit and fruit orchards for a 150 years. Last year the brewery bought their entire blue berry crop and did a blue berry beer. Wish I had got to try it. Sorry about the shitty cellphone quality pictures, I have a bit of a medication induced palsy in my hands, and it really throws my cell phone pics off. 

jvy8PPg.jpg

vhvyEUI.jpg

aZiOZG8.jpg

http://www.rmbrewery.com/index.html

#282 BP

BP

Kulak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,841 posts
  • Interests:Tanks. No shit.

Posted 23 May 2014 - 1720 PM

And of course, being as the wife terms me, "a marketer's wet dream", I saw an eight pack of these little guys in a cooler at the end of the aisle while at the grocery picking up hamburger buns.

In the basket they went.

miller-high-life-small-bottles-646.jpg

#283 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

I offer safe passage through the wasteland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,694 posts
  • Interests:Killing, killing is the solution!

Posted 01 June 2014 - 0356 AM

Stubbies are back?

Damned fire wrecked the last batch of Half Acre Daisy Cutter cans, so my current brew of choice is somewhat limited. 

But overall, been preferring vodka/tonic for drinking.  Infused with cucumber is good for summer.  S/F....Ken M  

#284 Mr King

Mr King

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 0210 AM

Interesting vid, just a commercial, but still full of interesting info. The whole "beer brewed by Trappist monks" things looks more like a bunch of old fat wealthy monks managing a brewery that employs the local population for all the labor. 

#285 T-44

T-44

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 1500 PM

Interesting vid, just a commercial, but still full of interesting info. The whole "beer brewed by Trappist monks" things looks more like a bunch of old fat wealthy monks managing a brewery that employs the local population for all the labor. 

True, but then again most belgian Trappist abbeys are rather small communities (e.g.g Westvleteren is still quite "young and popular" but still only has 30 or so monks, and actually still produces the least amount of beers - with the highest input by the monks themselves - of all the trappists iirc) - after all, labora only comes after ora ;)

Not that I care when I drink any one of them, for that matter :)

#286 ramontxo

ramontxo

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 1647 PM

True, but then again most belgian Trappist abbeys are rather small communities (e.g.g Westvleteren is still quite "young and popular" but still only has 30 or so monks, and actually still produces the least amount of beers - with the highest input by the monks themselves - of all the trappists iirc) - after all, labora only comes after ora ;)

Not that I care when I drink any one of them, for that matter :)

I have a pack of Westleveren waiting to next year february when. if everything goes well, i will be out of my (medical) Ramadan... :P

#287 urbanoid

urbanoid

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 1219 PM

Drinking now, interesting because of a name :D

sam_1643.jpg

#288 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,333 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice hockey, motorcycling

Posted 12 October 2014 - 1637 PM

Are there any home brewers here? I'm thinking of starting making my own beer and... well, if there are any tips about how to start I'd be very happy :)

/R

#289 BP

BP

Kulak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,841 posts
  • Interests:Tanks. No shit.

Posted 12 October 2014 - 1835 PM

Are there any home brewers here? I'm thinking of starting making my own beer and... well, if there are any tips about how to start I'd be very happy :)

/R

One tip is don't spend all semester's university money buying "sports supplies", buy a few of those home brew kits, and leave the carboys out in the on on the side porch.

Because you won't actually have money when you need it, and you'll just end up with some stuff with the consistency of pancake syrup which tastes like Guinness, rotgut vodka and Pez candy.

#290 Mr King

Mr King

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 1848 PM

/R

I have never brewed beer, but I have a couple suggestions. I don't know if you have ever heard of the American television show Good Eats with Alton Brown, but it was an excellent series, kind of a Mr Wizard meets cooking show. He did at least one episode on brewing beer. I have found the episode on Youtube, but you have to pay a few bucks to watch it. It is called Good Eats - Amber Waves I am sure there are other places to find the episode. The other part of my suggestion is other Youtube videos made by Joe Q Public. There is a wealth of information on Youtube to be had about many topics. A while back I even watched quite a few videos on the process to make moonshine, which is quite fascinating. 

Link to the Good Eats - Amber Waves

#291 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,836 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 13 October 2014 - 1338 PM

I recommend seeing if there are any places that let you brew on site.  The place I used to go had 6 steam jacketed brewing kettles and a fermenting and lagering room.  They sanitized all the equipment and had a couple bottle filling stations and could fill carney kegs or regular kegs.  It was a little more expensive per bottle than doing it at home, but it was nice to not have to deal with all the leftover mash and sanitation.  The staff could help with everything, except adding the yeast.  Because they weren't licensed to make beer commercially the customer had to add the yeast.  There was even a pizza place next door so you could have a nice snack while you bottled/sampled your latest creation.

#292 Mr King

Mr King

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 0350 AM

tp4WmMl.jpg

#293 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,732 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 1252 PM

/R

One tip is don't spend all semester's university money buying "sports supplies", buy a few of those home brew kits, and leave the carboys out in the on on the side porch.

Because you won't actually have money when you need it, and you'll just end up with some stuff with the consistency of pancake syrup which tastes like Guinness, rotgut vodka and Pez candy.

LOL  :D :D

#294 Blunt Eversmoke

Blunt Eversmoke

despicable hypocrite with nothing to crow for

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Location:Sellin them conre durgs to kid,s in a school near YOU, sport! I culd go onand on!!
  • Interests:Trollin'. Get'n paided. No bonuses, tho.

Posted 17 December 2014 - 1123 AM

Worst: Leffers. By far. Four or five pints neat you EVIL headache - like, out of this poor vain world, KARMACOSMIC level, I am my pain, my pain is the universe, headache.

To be fair, maybe it was due to all the artificial components in it (drank it at a bar in Ukraine, dunno how good the original stuff from Belgium is).

Best: Too many to list, too hard to choose  :D But had I to choose only one, it would be the excellent Brezhnak dark beer from the Czech Republik. It's pretty cheap here in Germany, has a rich, slightly smoky flavor but very little sweetness or caramely-ness, so comparable to a stout, and exactly enough hops for that kind of beer. With 3,7% or thereabouts it is pretty light on alk, tho'.

Made for many nice evenings in the car workshop back in the day  :)

If you are not familiar with it, czech it out as soon as you get an opportunity to :)

Edited by Blunt Eversmoke, 17 December 2014 - 1127 AM.

#295 Mr King

Mr King

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 0151 AM

TCj5U8N.jpg

#296 Leo Niehorster

Leo Niehorster

Meow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  • Interests:Military History

Posted 07 May 2015 - 0933 AM

"Yesterday, scientists revealed that beer contains small traces of female hormones. To prove their theory, the scientists fed 16,832 men 12 pints of beer and observed that 100% of them gained weight, talked excessively without making sense, became emotional, couldn't drive, and refused to apologize when wrong.

No further testing is planned."

#297 Sovngard

Sovngard

Honorary staff member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Interests:Military Intelligence, various

Posted 26 June 2015 - 0856 AM

La Pétasse means The Bitch in English :D

1435327000-dyn001-original-300-400-pjpeg

#298 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 1321 PM

I'm sitting here and drink a quote: Pure Polish Pils and notice there is a kangaroo and an emu in the logo. And just for the record, its the first bottle so I'm just seeing what's actually there.

http://www.eichfeld.de/bier367d.htm

How did the Aussie critters get on the bottles? Good beer by the way and reasonably priced too.

Edited by Markus Becker, 13 July 2015 - 1358 PM.

#299 urbanoid

urbanoid

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 1443 PM

This one his disappeared from the market for a decade or so, came back only recently.

#300 Mr King

Mr King

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 1054 AM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users