Photo

And Now They Are Coming For The British Army...

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#161 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,575 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 0504 AM

Its worth remembering at this point we had Muslims from Afghanistan and Iraq working alongside the British army as interpreters, taking much the same risks. And then, when they pointed out, not unreasonably, they might be targets for retaliation, we told them to foxtrot oscar because they werent our problem.

I digress, but you get the point. The British Army working with Muslims is not a new issue.

Folks who stick their necks out for you should be rewarded and protected. The US made space for a lot of Hmong who fled Vietnam. There were MANY more we should have rescued. 

Ryan, I absolutely agree. There were even right wingers here (probably Tommy Flowers pals)  whining about allowing Nepalese into the country. Nepalese whom actually fought in the Gurkha's.

We are a singularly ungrateful nation it has to be said.

#162 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 2123 PM

Those US citizens are why I shifted from being anti-gun to pro-gun back in the 90s.

Ryan. It's late here and I'm semi-delirious, but did you say you were anti-gun in the 90s?

#163 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 2129 PM

No, I think Russia was far later than anyone else in adopting nationalism. I dont think it really got started till the 1980's, in line with the other regions rediscovering theirs.

By the way for the record, i have to give credit for Stuart opening "on the tip of his pen" something mostly (if not always) not reported by Western MSM: In 1980's, movement of Slavic neo-Pagans was born. It got nothing to do with traditional "Russian nationalism" and even oppose it, since based on "pure Slavic blood", cult of ancestors (imaginable, as having nothing to do with real grandfathers of this people), some kind of Pagan Gods cults (again, artificial, since organized  Slavic Pagan practices lost 1000 years ago), denying Christianity as "religion of slaves"  and so on. This movement is 100% synthetic with no connection to any previous movements, but since it is attractive for  youth (including girls) it became wide spread across all Slavic republics of former USSR.

Part of the movement took moderate forms of "Slavic yoga", "Slavic sex" and so on, another part became medieval reenactors, but significant part became sort of white supremacists, established links with similar Western groups.  See pro-Ukrainian Azov battalion for example with their artificial pagan practices. Some "neo-Pagans" from Russia left for Ukraine to join similar groups (since it is next to official in Ukraine, where artificial "original Slavic" cults are seen as the way to oppose multi-ethnic and multi-cultural Russia) , but some others joined pro-Russians.

Pagan sports tournament of Azov battalion

Even here many of the First Nations had to re-invent their history as so much had been lost. Same thing happened to the Scots, with many of the popular tartans being rather newish....

Edited by Colin, 03 March 2018 - 2129 PM.

#164 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 18,494 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 0506 AM

Even here many of the First Nations had to re-invent their history as so much had been lost. Same thing happened to the Scots, with many of the popular tartans being rather newish....

Yes, but there is certain irony in "imperial nation" going the way First Nations do.

#165 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,032 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 1035 AM

Those US citizens are why I shifted from being anti-gun to pro-gun back in the 90s.

Ryan. It's late here and I'm semi-delirious, but did you say you were anti-gun in the 90s?

Early 90's and before, yes. I had taken up the pablum that is the standard pro-gun control argument set. In trying to defend those views with folks whom I spoke with, I did more digging. A variety of factors illustrated that the position was utterly wrong. Warren v Dc was a major pivot point. The standard argument being, you don't need guns, the police will protect you. Obviously, with Warren, that's shown to not be the case. People are on their own and responsible for their own safety. If the police fail to show up, tough shit for you, even if the do show up and don't do anything, too bad, so sad.

#166 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 54,575 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 0318 AM

As our police force shrinks to the point of invisibility, im slowly becoming pro gun too. Not because I want to, because the State seems unwilling to take its responsibilities towards the electorate seriously enough to spend money on it.

That is not saying I think gun ownership for us is the right thing. But when you already have a 20 minute gap for the police to arrive if you call a crime in progress, and recognise that is going to get even worse, its a recognition there will at some point there will need to be alternatives.

As far as packing a Car15 in every household, hell no.

#167 urbanoid

urbanoid

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 0941 AM

Oh, from what I read the British police is very busy tracking down hate speech on facebook.

#168 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 0930 AM

They turn up soon enough if you have a broken tail light 😊