106 replies to this topic

#21 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,201 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 1124 AM

The Texas Department of Public Safety runs the Highway Patrol, DPS Investigations, and the Texas Rangers.  The Highway Patrol is pretty much the people who handle traffic control and enforcement out of major cities.  DPS Investigations runs Auto Theft and Narcotics Investigations.  The Texas Rangers are the ultimate elite of Texas law enforcement.  The handle public corruption, law enforcement corruption, officer involved shootings, cold cases, murder investigations, and others where they are asked to come in and investigate.  They are the Anti-FBI in that they actually look for the truth instead of going for convictions regardless of the facts.  In my job I work with the Rangers regularly.  

The Texas Attorney General has investigators who handle Human trafficking cases, and cases of major fraud.  The Insurance Board has investigators who handle insurance fraud.  The Pharmacy Board has investigators who handle prescription fraud and licensing for pharmacy thefts.  

We are pretty typical for most Sheriff's Offices in that we have the following units (divisions):

Patrol- the bread and butter of any department.  We have four shifts which overlap somewhat and the guys work a 5 on/4 off, 6 on/4 off rotating schedule.

Investigations- We break it down into People and Property crimes, although since there are so few of the guys, if they are on call, they catch it, they clean it.  So a property guy can work a people crime.  Then there is me and my investigator we are Special Investigations (Cold cases, Internal Affairs, Jail Investigations and Special Investigations (sensitive type)) which keeps me really busy.

Admin- this section has Courthouse Security, Civil process (subpoenas, and other court process), Warrants, Dispatch, and support staff.

Most police departments in Texas are similar.  Many smaller agencies, the Patrol guys are also the investigators.  Most departments in Texas have fewer than 20 officers.  There are many that have only 1-2 full time staff.  

How is the relation to state police? the texas Rangers? And whatever alse law enforcement Texas may have?

#22 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,637 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 1136 AM

They do. Can't trust these Austrians.

:D

In fact they just reinstated the agency this year after it was merged into the Bavarian state police in 1998. It was one of Markus Söder's weird campaign stunts, along with the Bavarian space program and crucifixes in public offices. Of course his predecessor as Bavarian state minister president, now federal interior minister Horst Seehofer promptly told him they are a force without a cause since border policing is a federal mission. Which is true, but wouldn't have stopped Seehofer if the roles were reversed, obviously. :D

#23 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,831 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 31 December 2018 - 1138 AM

What about the Czechs? :)

#24 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 1144 AM

Does Bavaria still have its own border police units?  When I was in the 2nd ACR we used to occasionally do joint border patrols with them. 

That was along the IGB that didn't work, right? ^_^

Yes, although since I was in 1/2 we had bunch of Czech border in our sectors as well.

#25 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 1148 AM

In fact they just reinstated the agency this year after it was merged into the Bavarian state police in 1998. It was one of Markus Söder's weird campaign stunts, along with the Bavarian space program and crucifixes in public offices. Of course his predecessor as Bavarian state minister president, now federal interior minister Horst Seehofer promptly told him they are a force without a cause since border policing is a federal mission. Which is true, but wouldn't have stopped Seehofer if the roles were reversed, obviously. :D

In the Army Welcome to Germany classes I attended Bavaria was called the Texas of Germany and we were told that it was unique among German states in having its own border police and border markings.

#26 Redbeard

Redbeard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Interests:Life, wife, kids, cats - history and hunting

Posted 31 December 2018 - 1451 PM

German Federal Police have gained some authority since they were transformed from the old West German Federal Border Guard, but they remain mostly connected to border control (generally non-stationary in a 30-kilometer area behind the borders, since the latter are open under Schengen - though temporary fixed controls can be installed in exceptional situations like the refugee crisis, or recently after the Strasbourg terror attack, the latter city being right on the line); this includes ports and airports, and also rail transport since the old Bahnpolizei was merged into them. Otherwise, they play only by invitation of the states - which are happy to request them for major events, since it means they don't have to pay for bigger forces of their own. Then there is of course the Federal Bureau of Criminal Investigations (BKA).

Technically, the most immediate law enforcement authority often rests with counties and cities, but doesn't generally include special powers of arrest or use of force; polizeilich in this case means "by policy" rather than "by police". The last of the old municipal police forces vanished in the 70s in Bavaria. Some municipalities have since returned to putting staff of their respective Ordnungsämter beyond the usual metermaids into blue uniforms for public presence; the state of Hesse has actually allowed them to be called Ordnungspolizei - which is somewhat unfortunate since that was the designation for uniformed police under the Nazis - or Stadtpolizei since 2004, and arm them. Frankfurt has been the only city to make use of the option to issue firearms, while elsewhere in Hesse they'll carry at best batons, CS and handcuffs.

Otherwise, regular police is mostly state. Organisation obviously difffers, but the look and procedures are rather uniform due to federal-state standardization agreements by the Conference of Interior Ministers; the federal government contributes some money (particularly for the Bereitschaftspolizei, which like in the Weimar Republic was envisioned as a paramilitary force to fight possible communist insurrection in the young FRG before there was a Bundeswehr) and gets some say in return. That's why uniforms used to be green-and-khaki and vehicles green-and-white across Germany since the 70s, and are now blue with some white items (silver-grey base color for vehicles) following an EU agreement that this was the most recognizable color for police anywhere after the turn of the millenium.

Firearms will vary, but 9 mm is standard caliber; assault rifles and the MP 7 are making some inroads to supplement the MP 5 in the age of increased terrorist threats. Shotguns are only speciality items to blow open locks and for animal control. Some of the old FALs and G 3s of the Bereitschaftspolizei remain for similar reasons, punching through barricades etc.; the G 8 (HK 21) was a pretty specific contraption as a rifle-like machinegun for police use on armored vehicles etc. to replace the initial MG 42. I believe in the old times there were even 81 mm mortars.

Of note is that the traditional rank system of common (enlisted), middle (NCOs), elevated (officers) and higher (staff officers) service has been progressively truncated from the bottom due to requirements of increasing training and competitive pay. I think corrections is the only field where common service ranks survive anywhere in German public service, and some states like Hesse and Bremen have even abolished middle service; lowest rank is then Kommissar (paygrade A 9, equal to 2nd lieutenant in the Bundeswehr), training typically three years at a school of public administration resulting in a BA. Where the middle service survives, initial rank in training (generally with the Bereitschaftspolizei) is Polizeimeisteranwärter (A 5), then after passing examination Polizeimeister (A 7).

Very close to my hunting ground near Neustrelitz in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern there is a Bundespolizeiakademie. Do you know what kind of education they do there? I suppose the basic training of officers is a State/Länder business and not Federal/Bundes matter?

#27 Anixtu

Anixtu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 0334 AM

no local police departments,

As ever, there are the oddities and exceptions, such as various ports and harbour police that have the power of constables within their (very limited) jurisdiction. At the smaller ports that I am familiar with, they tend to operate more like security guards but wearing "police" insignia. Wikipedia has a convenient list.

#28 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 50,544 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 0348 AM

Plenty on the UK Police (except Scotland) here https://www.police.uk/

Rank structure is as described here: https://www.anglotop...-mystery-shows/, although that concentrates on London with all the stuff about Deputy Assistant Commissioners.

No Border police, no local police departments, no Feds, Nothing like that at all (Although the National Crime Agency is occasionally described as being like the FBI, it definitely isn't.)

Organisationally, in the UK we have a clear split between Scotland, Northern Ireland and (England and Wales). In E&W, there are 43 police "services", geographically bound and generally associated with counties or municipal conurbations (e.g. Greater Manchester Police, Dorset Police, etc.) In addition to those, there are four national organisations - British Transport Police, Civil Nuclear Constabulary, MoD Police and the National Air Police Service. 

In Scotland there is a single service, reporting directly to the Scottish Government. 

In NI, The Police Service of Northern Ireland replaced the Royal Ulster Constabulary a number of years ago. I suspect it reports to UK Gov at the moment, but I'm not sure.

In E&W, they report either to a City Mayor (London and Manchester only) or to a Police and Crime Commissioner, who is directly elected.

Uniforms are pretty... uniform. This page seems accurate enough. https://en.wikipedia...Current_uniform

You rarely see the "custodian" helmet nowadays, because most officers are not on foot patrol, so will turn up in vehicles.

The Transport Police is an interesting one, they are the incorporated, formerly seperate police forces of the seperate Railway companies, grouped on Nationalization, so they have one of the oldest histories in Police in the UK (wiki claims they were formed in 1826 with the Stockton and Darlington, which sounds plausible). Some of that work even involved Signalling, which is why some of the mechanical signallers are still known as 'Bobbies'.

BTP still wears the badge of the British Transport Commission, despite BTC having been disbanded in 1963.

#29 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,637 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 0426 AM

Very close to my hunting ground near Neustrelitz in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern there is a Bundespolizeiakademie. Do you know what kind of education they do there? I suppose the basic training of officers is a State/Länder business and not Federal/Bundes matter?

Yeah, the state and police forces do their own training respectively, though I think some of the smaller neighboring states collaborate. Neustrelitz is one of six training centers of the Federal Police Academy in Lübeck. Federal Police is of course the biggest agency of all with 42,500 total personnel, though Bavaria comes close with 41,400.

They are organized into nine regional Bundespolizeidirektionen which are responsible for border, railway, port and airport security, one Direktion Bundesbereitschaftspolizei in charge of ten battalion-sized Abteilungen based throughout Germany, and Bundespolizeidirektion 11 in charge of central and special services - GSG 9, air marshal and overseas service (protection of German embassies and officials in crisis areas abroad), aviation (one group and four squadrons with a total of 87 helicopters EC 120, 135, 155 and Super Puma, including twelve aircraft used for the national civilian air ambulance network), etc.

Coast guard duties are performed by the Bundespolizei See under the regional direction in Bad Bramstedt, Schleswig-Holstein (six seagoing vessels, five inshore patrol boats and one tug), supported by the helicopter squadron in Fuhlendorf and in conjunction with vessels of the Customs Service, the Federal Waterway and Shipping Administration and the fishery protection service of the Federal Ministry of Agriculture, coordinated by the national Maritime Security Center in Cuxhaven..

Edited by BansheeOne, 01 January 2019 - 0429 AM.

#30 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,201 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 1048 AM

We were always told that you do what the Polezei tell you to do, and if the BGS tells you to do something, you do it at double time.  

#31 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,201 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 1049 AM

I had one case where I had to call the RCMP for assistance (fraud case), and they were very helpful.  

Federally in Canada = RCMP

this also can operate as a Municipal and Provincial police, depending on agreements with municipalities and Provinces. 

Some Province like Quebec and Ontario have their own police forces  https://www.opp.ca/   https://www.sq.gouv.qc.ca/en/contact-us/  

Some cities also have their own police forces  https://vancouver.ca/police/  

All municipal police in BC are subject to the BC Police Act http://www.bclaws.ca...tatreg/96367_01

Which oddly dictates they must only use .40cal pistols, while the RCMP uses ancient SW 5946 in 9mm

BC-firearms-academy-RCMP-Handgun-Smith-W​

#32 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,592 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 1801 PM

Quite a lot of the members are quite good and a joy to deal with, it's the organization as a whole that is broken.

#33 Mr King

Mr King

Shopping Center Tactician

• Members
  • 18,430 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 2038 PM

Quite a lot of the members are quite good and a joy to deal with, it's the organization as a whole that is broken.

That sounds like the majority of law enforcement organizations unfortunately. 

#34 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,201 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 0952 AM

Agreed!

#35 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,201 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 0958 AM

Years ago I responded to a robbery call, a kid had been beaten and robbed of his money.  I had to walk away to laugh.  Rocket-Scientist had decided a great way to make money was to mow his lawn, gather the clippings, dry them, and sell them as marijuana.  He apparently made a reasonable sum doing this until he messed with a lesbian motorcycle gang member from a neighboring county.  She and her friends arrived, beat him to a pulp, took his money (and his pants, an air jordans), and tried to run over him on their motorcycles (he crawled behind a fence).  I wrote it up, he admitted to selling "weed" and sent it off to the prosecutors.  Several weeks later one contacted me, and asked if I had made this up, I assured her I had not, so I waited a little longer, and then I got the decline to prosecute in my box.  They decided that no jury in our county would convict on the facts of this case.  This kid was a problem for years, and we finally got enough to send him off when he beat up and hospitalized his five month old autistic child.  He got 8 years (plea bargain)..  

#36 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 22,874 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 04 January 2019 - 1326 PM

All the makings of a frequent flyer....

#37 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,388 posts
  • Interests:Ducats and shot

Posted 06 January 2019 - 1848 PM

In the Army Welcome to Germany classes I attended Bavaria was called the Texas of Germany and we were told that it was unique among German states in having its own border police and border markings.

Knowing this, it will just make the song "Luchenbach, Texas" even more interesting.

"only two things in life make it worth living / instruments calibrated right and firm feeling frauleinen / even if I don't see my name in the Berlin lights..."

#38 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 17,201 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 0608 AM

Ah, Luckenbach, Texas, a nice place for a beer and some music.  

#39 2805662

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 0531 AM

In a large police force, say one that covers an entire state with a large number of members, in New South Wales 16,649 officers, a military style rank system seems to work.  We do not have 'local sheriffs' in the US manner.

So, here are the insignia.

rank_insignia_poster.jpg

Nearby Victoria has a similar system, but not identical.

Of note is that a large number of New South Wales Police officers, and their across the border counterparts, are sworn special constables in the neighbouring state jurisdictions, which basically means that by just crossing a state border a suspect cannot evade arrest.

Talking to some USian law enforcement folk, it boggles their minds that Australia has so few police departments:
Queensland Police Service
NSW Police
Victoria Police
Tasmania Police
South Australian Police
Western Australian Police
Northern Territory Police
Australian Federal Police.

#40 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,876 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 08 January 2019 - 1937 PM

In a large police force, say one that covers an entire state with a large number of members, in New South Wales 16,649 officers, a military style rank system seems to work.  We do not have 'local sheriffs' in the US manner.

So, here are the insignia.

rank_insignia_poster.jpg

Nearby Victoria has a similar system, but not identical.

Of note is that a large number of New South Wales Police officers, and their across the border counterparts, are sworn special constables in the neighbouring state jurisdictions, which basically means that by just crossing a state border a suspect cannot evade arrest.

Talking to some USian law enforcement folk, it boggles their minds that Australia has so few police departments:
Queensland Police Service
NSW Police
Victoria Police
Tasmania Police
South Australian Police
Western Australian Police
Northern Territory Police
Australian Federal Police.

Another thing that may amaze Americans is that Australian schools do not have police located on campus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users