74 replies to this topic

#21 X-Files

X-Files

1211st Desantsofter Legion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,308 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 0014 AM

Scientists have long known that coffee drinkers have a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes, but researchers out of China may have figured out why.

Researchers Ling Zheng, of Wuhan University, and Kun Huang, of Huazhong University of Science and Technology, have found that compounds in coffee inhibit hIAPP (human islet amyloid polypeptide), a substance linked to diabetes. Their study appeared in a recent issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

Prior global epidemiological studies have shown that those who drink four or more cups of coffee a day have a 50 percent lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes, the most prevalent type of diabetes accounting for 95 percent of all cases. Every additional cup reduces the risk by an additional 7 percent.

Wilfred Brimley would approve of the rest of this story

Edited by X-Files, 21 January 2012 - 0015 AM.

#22 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 1159 AM

Scientists have long known that coffee drinkers have a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes, but researchers out of China may have figured out why.

Researchers Ling Zheng, of Wuhan University, and Kun Huang, of Huazhong University of Science and Technology, have found that compounds in coffee inhibit hIAPP (human islet amyloid polypeptide), a substance linked to diabetes. Their study appeared in a recent issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

Prior global epidemiological studies have shown that those who drink four or more cups of coffee a day have a 50 percent lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes, the most prevalent type of diabetes accounting for 95 percent of all cases. Every additional cup reduces the risk by an additional 7 percent.

Wilfred Brimley would approve of the rest of this story

Anecdotally, over several years, I would disagree.

#23 X-Files

X-Files

• Members
  • 29,308 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 0000 AM

"What I tell patients is, if you like coffee, go ahead and drink as much as you want and can," says Dr. Peter Martin, director of the Institute for Coffee Studies at Vanderbilt University. He's even developed a metric for monitoring your dosage: If you are having trouble sleeping, cut back on your last cup of the day. From there, he says, "If you drink that much, it's not going to do you any harm, and it might actually help you. A lot."
Officially, the American Medical Association recommends conservatively that "moderate tea or coffee drinking likely has no negative effect on health, as long as you live an otherwise healthy lifestyle." That is a lackluster endorsement in light of so much recent glowing research. Not only have most of coffee's purported ill effects been disproven -- the most recent review fails to link it the development of hypertension -- but we have so, so much information about its benefits. We believe they extend from preventing Alzheimer's disease to protecting the liver. What we know goes beyond small-scale studies or limited observations. The past couple of years have seen findings, that, taken together, suggest that we should embrace coffee for reasons beyond the benefits of caffeine, and that we might go so far as to consider it a nutrient.

http://www.theatlant...ou-like/265693/

#24 X-Files

X-Files

• Members
  • 29,308 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 2201 PM

Mike and Trina swear by their coffee. He enjoys a fine espresso grind, which is "on the cold side"; she prefers a "saturated blend" that is "warm and thicker."
The St. Petersburg, Fla., couple refuses to drink the caffeinated beverage, which they say is bad for their health. Instead, they use it as an enema. They each have at least 100 coffee enemas a month, 6,000 in all since their addiction began two years ago.

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=18433235

#25 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,303 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 09 February 2013 - 0931 AM

Mike and Trina swear by their coffee. He enjoys a fine espresso grind, which is "on the cold side"; she prefers a "saturated blend" that is "warm and thicker."
The St. Petersburg, Fla., couple refuses to drink the caffeinated beverage, which they say is bad for their health. Instead, they use it as an enema. They each have at least 100 coffee enemas a month, 6,000 in all since their addiction began two years ago.

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=18433235

Pucker factor... :wacko:
----
On a lighter note, help Susan Sarandon save the coffee growers (and buy her brand at the same time ;) )
http://online.wsj.co...EditorialPage_h

Helping Small Coffee Growers Fatten Up the 'Thin Months'

Fair-trade vendor Green Mountain Coffee Roasters has teamed up with nonprofit Heifer International to help poor farmers to become more self-sufficient.

#26 X-Files

X-Files

• Members
  • 29,308 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 0907 AM

According to a new edition of the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders out last week (DSM, or in this case, DSM-5), that sort of excessive caffeine intake can lead to a condition known as “caffeine intoxication,” except it’s nothing like the sort of blissful stupor we tend to associate with that other sort of intoxication.

#27 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,303 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 11 June 2013 - 1858 PM

"Caffeine withdrawal" is also classified as a mental disorder in the same volume.  Gotcha coming and going!! :wacko:  

#28 snafu_72

snafu_72

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 0657 AM

My biggest problem every morning is that I need coffee. I can't function without it. The problem is that I have to be able to function well enough so that I can make it, so that I can function. It is a Gordian Knot of many twists, turns, and loops.  

#29 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,481 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 0759 AM

A thought based on a thread in another forum: Who here has done the old Infantryman's trick of instead of a dip of snuff between cheek and gum, a packet of C-Ration or MRE instant coffee as a dip to get the caffeine straight into the blood stream?  I remember doing this at Fort Benning and in Germany during REFORGER, Graf, and Hohenfels. 

#30 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 1621 PM

A thought based on a thread in another forum: Who here has done the old Infantryman's trick of instead of a dip of snuff between cheek and gum, a packet of C-Ration or MRE instant coffee as a dip to get the caffeine straight into the blood stream?  I remember doing this at Fort Benning and in Germany during REFORGER, Graf, and Hohenfels. 

Never seen it done. Or heard of it done that way.

#31 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,237 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 0914 AM

I have seen people eating spoons of instant coffee to get the desired effect while on duty. Using it as dip is new to me, but should work. But then coffein pills are cheap. Or Schok-A-Kola. Chocolate with coffein that marched our glorious troops to Moscow and back! ;)

I am a tea drinker anyway. Makes me envious of the BV on British Army vehicles to this day.

#32 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,869 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 12 August 2016 - 1042 AM

I have seen people eating spoons of instant coffee to get the desired effect while on duty. Using it as dip is new to me, but should work. But then coffein pills are cheap. Or Schok-A-Kola. Chocolate with coffein that marched our glorious troops to Moscow and back! ;)

I am a tea drinker anyway. Makes me envious of the BV on British Army vehicles to this day.

Panzerschokolade!

Why did not I buy some of that in Germany, why?

https://youtu.be/Bg70yjZfZCk

Edited by sunday, 12 August 2016 - 1044 AM.

#33 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,598 posts
  • Interests:WW2, armoured combat history, 3D CGI, motorsports

Posted 12 August 2016 - 1129 AM

If I drink coffee I need to drink a lot of water with it, otherwise I get dehydrated quickly and feel horrible. But somehow if I have 2-3 cups of espresso and take enough water with that (spread throughout my work day) I feel great.

#34 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,536 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 12 August 2016 - 2034 PM

Reason a "Turkish" coffee is always served with a large glass of water. :)

#35 WRW

WRW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,776 posts
  • Interests:OOB, Military Technology, Terrorism, Counter Insurgency, C4I

Posted 15 September 2016 - 1400 PM

My system cannot handle Turkish or worse Armenian coffee.
I drink instant coffee all through the day but none of the heavy stuff

#36 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,237 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 1408 PM

Reason a "Turkish" coffee is always served with a large glass of water. :)

In coffee houses a glass of water is normally served with a cup of coffee as well. But then Vienna learned it from the turks. ;)

#37 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,277 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 1426 PM

Sang Tao 8

Accept no substitute.

Edited by Josh, 15 September 2016 - 1426 PM.

#38 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,536 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 1433 PM

Related to coffee - my family name (Kavedzic) origin is from a word "kavedzija", which literary means "coffee shop owner", due the someone down the line (named originally Risto Nikitovic*) brought coffee to Montenegro in early 18th century (from Italy or Dubrovnik).

*Due the Montenegro having very strict inter-relative marriage laws (strictly forbidden between cousins closer then 9 times removed) and having low population information about cousins and relatives was very important. That way I have whole line of family from him to this day. :)

Edited by bojan, 15 September 2016 - 1435 PM.

#39 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,536 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 1443 PM

Edited by bojan, 15 September 2016 - 1443 PM.

#40 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,336 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 16 September 2016 - 0038 AM

Coolness bojan. I like the stories behind various surnames.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users