#301 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,941 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 0917 AM

e5Oj84C.jpg​

early prototype of the Boss hoss motorcycles?

Boss-Hoss-502.jpg​

#302 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 56,773 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 0927 AM

There is a British guy I saw on a documentary that built a motorbike around the remains of a Pratt and Whitney R-1830. Unbelievable torque, but not surprisingly the fuel consumption left something to be desired.

#303 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 1009 AM

Anyone own/lease a Tesla? I'm thinking about getting one once my beloved wagon goes to the Great Grocery Store in the Sky since my commuting needs have nose-dived since getting married and moved into the city. The wife wants a gas burner, so I figure with an electric car I could do commutes and travel with appropriate charging stations, and everything else we use her car.

#304 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,072 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 1159 AM

Anyone own/lease a Tesla? I'm thinking about getting one once my beloved wagon goes to the Great Grocery Store in the Sky since my commuting needs have nose-dived since getting married and moved into the city. The wife wants a gas burner, so I figure with an electric car I could do commutes and travel with appropriate charging stations, and everything else we use her car.

What about a small-ish/pre-owned Lexus?

#305 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,507 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 1331 PM

Not thinking instead of something Germanic?

Audi is dangling the e-Tron like FCO bait. might be a bit pricey.

#306 LT Ducky

LT Ducky

Increasiing my carbon footprint while destroying the environment

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 0455 AM

You do realize that a Tesla actually runs on coal....😄😄

#307 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,941 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 0829 AM

You do realize that a Tesla actually runs on coal....

Depends what your local electricity provider uses, but yes, very probably this or nuclear. 

Or do you have a windmill on your piece of land and solar panels?

#308 LT Ducky

LT Ducky

Increasiing my carbon footprint while destroying the environment

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 1428 PM

Forgot to add these - 😄😄😄😄

#309 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,941 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 0650 AM

But really, what I have heard about the development process for the sioftware for the Tesla really made me cringe. the typical software startup company ship now and patch later mentality. great, with a car that is for the most part a computer system on four wheels.

I'd rather look at other electric cars. Nissan and Mitsubishi build some models. You can modify a Prius to drive mostly electric, but still have the option of the petrol engine. There are more on the market. the Tesla is too much hype for my tastes. And expensive. As soon as teh battery pack has aged value drops like a rock.

#310 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,072 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 0701 AM

But really, what I have heard about the development process for the sioftware for the Tesla really made me cringe. the typical software startup company ship now and patch later mentality. great, with a car that is for the most part a computer system on four wheels.

I'd rather look at other electric cars. Nissan and Mitsubishi build some models. You can modify a Prius to drive mostly electric, but still have the option of the petrol engine. There are more on the market. the Tesla is too much hype for my tastes. And expensive. As soon as teh battery pack has aged value drops like a rock.

I was looking into the Toyota post-sales environment, and a new battery pack for Prius has a very reasonable price. Especially considering there is no turbo nor clutch to replace.

#311 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,941 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 1503 PM

142e16f66f1ced79a80ea79faf77817a.jpg​

new car for the new PM

#312 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,487 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 1108 AM

I may be moving to a more urban locale next year, in which case my behemoth pickup won't work (I passed up a job last year because I couldn't find parking within several blocks of the workplace; aborted on the interview, as the pay rate was very low for the locale and wouldn't cover both rent and a car payment). So I have been thinking about picking up some sort of used coupe or station wagon of compact or intermediate size. Its not the mileage, its the parking.

I saw a Subaru Outback that looked kinda cool, a bit small but could be tweaked a bit to look more sporty and masculine* (mainly tires and wheels). But I stumbled scross mention of Japanese brands by Scotty Kilmer on Youtube, and he claimed Soobs are prone to head gasket failure and slushbox failures. I would try deperately to find an Outlook with a manual, but the head gasket thing ain't so good if I end up spending time in bumper-to-bumper.

So, my question to the jury is, are there any models out there of an affordable marque anything like an Outback? I.e. wagon-like or SUV-like, simple, reliable, preferably 4WD if not AWD?

I see a lot of Toyota Tacomas at work, and I think they would work good for me, but some of those Blue Book values are too darned close to sticker price of a new one.

* Being single, I definitely don't want to present an image of domesticity; last two GFs were visualizing the white picket fence scenario waaaay too soon in the relationship.

#313 Jeff

Jeff

Godfather of Tanknet Birthday Greetings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 1153 AM

I may be moving to a more urban locale next year, in which case my behemoth pickup won't work (I passed up a job last year because I couldn't find parking within several blocks of the workplace; aborted on the interview, as the pay rate was very low for the locale and wouldn't cover both rent and a car payment). So I have been thinking about picking up some sort of used coupe or station wagon of compact or intermediate size. Its not the mileage, its the parking.

I saw a Subaru Outback that looked kinda cool, a bit small but could be tweaked a bit to look more sporty and masculine* (mainly tires and wheels). But I stumbled scross mention of Japanese brands by Scotty Kilmer on Youtube, and he claimed Soobs are prone to head gasket failure and slushbox failures. I would try deperately to find an Outlook with a manual, but the head gasket thing ain't so good if I end up spending time in bumper-to-bumper.

So, my question to the jury is, are there any models out there of an affordable marque anything like an Outback? I.e. wagon-like or SUV-like, simple, reliable, preferably 4WD if not AWD?

I see a lot of Toyota Tacomas at work, and I think they would work good for me, but some of those Blue Book values are too darned close to sticker price of a new one.

* Being single, I definitely don't want to present an image of domesticity; last two GFs were visualizing the white picket fence scenario waaaay too soon in the relationship.

I've had Outbacks for 20 years and never had a problem, though I don't drive them into the ground either. They have excellent trade in value as well.

#314 bd1

bd1

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 1215 PM

i drive an decade-old RAV4 that is a huge improvement over previous opel and volvo, but this is bit domesticated probably.  :D

i live 20km from town and driving through first winter storms the looks on my wife´s faces made me go for a AWD vehicle

Edited by bd1, 27 July 2019 - 1217 PM.

#315 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,487 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 1227 PM

Where I live currently, and likely to relocate to in the near future, there is only the occasional ice storm. But I remember the sick feeling of having only a 4th gen Camaro when a tropical storm poured countless inches of rain on coastal Virginia. Most people could go most places, including getting to the Interstate for evac if necessary. But with the low ground clearance and low-mounted distributor of the Chevy (a.k.a. "Opti-Spark" named after the Opti-Grab), I was quite limited where I could drive for about a week. Ironically I could get to work, one gas station, and 3 fast food joints.

Since then, I've wanted decent ground clearance and 4WD/AWD.

Are Toyotas still easy to work on? I had a mid-80s HiLux and there was little I couldn't do with two 12mm box-end wrenches on the side of the road (replacing the starter was a bit strenuous, but I got it done in the apt parking lot without help in about 1.5 hrs).

#316 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,487 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 1229 PM

i drive an decade-old RAV4 that is a huge improvement over previous opel and volvo, but this is bit domesticated probably.  :D

The newer RAV4s look cramped, maybe its the styling. The older I get the unhappier my hips, knees, and ankle get with cramped conditions.

#317 bd1

bd1

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 1313 PM

cramped ? i don´t know. i´m 42 years, 180cm. , 85-90kg. this car is perfect size for me , because it has cruise control and automatic.

i work in a cash´n´carry , which means that i get some exercise at work, but also that occasionally i spend 2-7 hours on a forklift in quite cramped and fixed  position. due to that my right hip nerves are sometimes acting up and here is a car with high seat and driving aids is quite a boon.

before that i had Opel Astra`and on some 200`+km. trip sometimes had to stop every hour or so just stretch leg. and the low seat meant that sometimes it was pretty bad just to drive home, the measly20km. . damn electronic pedals on cars and forklifts , just moving foot up or down just 2cm means in car either driving too slowly or too quickly and in forklift spilling the pallet or hitting something

Edited by bd1, 27 July 2019 - 1314 PM.

#318 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 1526 PM

Honda CR-V ?

#319 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,987 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 1834 PM

before that i had Opel Astra`and on some 200`+km. trip sometimes had to stop every hour or so just stretch leg. and the low seat meant that sometimes it was pretty bad just to drive home, the measly20km. . damn electronic pedals on cars and forklifts , just moving foot up or down just 2cm means in car either driving too slowly or too quickly and in forklift spilling the pallet or hitting something

Which Astra? 3-door G I still have is great (but it has fully adjustable driver's seat which matters a lot), 5-door G less so (IIRC some 5-6cm shorter cabin than 3-door version, and in the front seat area, so it shows) and H in any version was a mizery department. I kept old 2003. G and sold H... My G also has adjustable pedals (well, mechanic can adjust them) so gas is set pretty conservatively (G was originally my father's, H was mine, and my father learned to drive on GMC CCKW and always drove like he still had that one :) ).

RAV did not have enough leg space for me even if rest of it was good - I am 196cm.

I drive it a lot, and longer trip includes yearly visit to a Montenegro, 444km in one way, on a road that includes a lot of breaks, gas and clutch. It is OK, even if it takes about 8-9 hours, depending on the traffic and stops. One year I drove H however... :(

Edited by bojan, 27 July 2019 - 1837 PM.

#320 bd1

bd1

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 1906 PM

you did not hit your head while sitting in astra`? i got used to rav and just went to take something from the astra and hit my head on the roof and almost misplaced my hip at the sudden drop to the seat  :D

2006 astra h 5door. it´s competent car with huge back end, but my size is somewhat unfortunate, either the hands should be 5 cm longer or the steering wheel should come out more . seats were ...well nothing to write home about and overall impression compared to old volvo 850 it replaced was somewhat of a letdown. volvo was  :wub: , but by now would be 25 year old tech/safety and fuel consumption.

my longest trips would be to est-latvian border to my mother-in-law, that´s something like 250-300 km. depending route. in old manual volvo it was fun and relaxing , in astrah it was  torture , in toyota nice and relaxing.

RAV is perfect size for me, though gasoline fuel is bit expensive. however, as the workshop owner i service my cars in laughed, ´´buy  a used diesel and everything you´ve ever saved on fuel goes like poof!! on first repair job costs´´.

Edited by bd1, 27 July 2019 - 1909 PM.