Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 2150 PM

I like pancakes.

But I *love* waffles.

^_^

I like that you can put the melted butter and syrup in the pits of the waffle, giving it much more flavour than pancakes. YUMMY! I just had waffles this morning hihihihihihi! ^_^

#2 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 2219 PM

Waffles, crunchy peanut butter, and Knott's Berry Farm raspberry jam. 

#3 shootER5

shootER5

Beer drinker, hell raiser.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 0018 AM

Pancakes.

​When the butter/syrup ratio is just right, they're awesome.

​I've always preferred the softness of a pancake to the crunch of a waffle.

#4 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,660 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 0257 AM

Why must a man choose between redheads and blondes?

Both!

#5 Richard Lindquist

Richard Lindquist

Purveyor of flints to General Washington

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 0648 AM

As a carry over from the money-scarce depression years, my mother and father always had pancakes or waffles on Saturday night.  For pancakes, she would cook them in the kitchen and then yell for the next person to "bring your plate" and you would go in and she would dump a batch on you.  for waffle nights, she would put the waffle iron near her place at the table and cook them right there.

My father got the expensive real maple syrup while the rest of us made do with Log Cabin syrup.  When I was young, Log Cabin came in a tin can shaped like a hut with logs, doors, and windows printed on.  The spout was the chimney.  After the can was finished, you could clean it out with boiling water and use it for a toy.  My brother and I had about twenty of these which made a great village.  Later, they cheaped out and Log Cabin began using bottles.

#6 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,225 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 1022 AM

Waffles, crunchy peanut butter, and Knott's Berry Farm raspberry jam. 

You, sir, are a decadent libertine and a bad example to America's Youth™. No man needs peanut butter or jam on his morning rectangular feed.

With either, real maple syrup and/or butter is what you need.

This morning's break fast will be turkey sausage, followed by frozen blueberry waffles with real out-of-the-cow butter and real out-of-the-tree maple syrup.

As for the either/or nature of the OP, I agree with Retac21. Variety is the spice of life.

#7 Olof Larsson

Olof Larsson

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 1038 AM

Waffles are only mandatory on the feast of the annunciation.

Pea soap and pancakes and are mandatory on thursdays.
Maundy thursday, the feast of the ascension, christmas and new years eve excluded.
Ideally served with punsch.

#8 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 1227 PM

Both of course. Preferably with a side of sausage and a couple eggs over easy. My syrup of choice is sorghum molasses or real maple syrup.

Edited by Harold Jones, 07 August 2016 - 1909 PM.

#9 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 1722 PM

You, sir, are a decadent libertine and a bad example to America's Youth™. No man needs peanut butter or jam on his morning rectangular feed.

With either, real maple syrup and/or butter is what you need.

This morning's break fast will be turkey sausage, followed by frozen blueberry waffles with real out-of-the-cow butter and real out-of-the-tree maple syrup.

As for the either/or nature of the OP, I agree with Retac21. Variety is the spice of life.

Ok, well give me pancakes as my great grandmother served them, thin, fried in shortening, with crispy edges, and real butter and straight Karo corn syrup on the table. Or just some butter and blackstrap molasses. 

#10 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 2236 PM

When I was young, Log Cabin came in a tin can shaped like a hut with logs, doors, and windows printed on.  The spout was the chimney.  After the can was finished, you could clean it out with boiling water and use it for a toy.  My brother and I had about twenty of these which made a great village.  Later, they cheaped out and Log Cabin began using bottles.

Reminded me of those perfumes/colognes used by dad which came in bottles shaped like cars. I used to play with those especially once they were empty.

#11 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 2238 PM

Ok, well give me pancakes as my great grandmother served them, thin, fried in shortening, with crispy edges, and real butter and straight Karo corn syrup on the table. Or just some butter and blackstrap molasses. 

Thin pancakes are the best. ^_^

I remember we made pancakes and, having no syrup or butter, just sprinkled sugar on the surface. Rolled it up and eat. ^_^

I know some people who don't like waffles (not "don't prefer," but really "don't like") but like pancakes. Weird.

Edited by Corinthian, 07 August 2016 - 2239 PM.

#12 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 0738 AM

Waffles are only mandatory on the feast of the annunciation.

Pea soap and pancakes and are mandatory on thursdays.
Maundy thursday, the feast of the ascension, christmas and new years eve excluded.
Ideally served with punsch.

Which probably means something else in English :D (it should be warm btw)

#13 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,087 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 0650 AM

Pancakes.

#14 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,487 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 2005 PM

McDonald's 'Hotcakes and Sausage' breakfast is my favorite.  I recently tried a 'Sausage, Egg & Cheese McGriddle' from McDonald's.  The pancake sweetness of the bread did not mix well with cheese...

Edited by shep854, 10 August 2016 - 2006 PM.

#15 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,604 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 1310 PM

McDonald's 'Hotcakes and Sausage' breakfast is my favorite.  I recently tried a 'Sausage, Egg & Cheese McGriddle' from McDonald's.  The pancake sweetness of the bread did not mix well with cheese...

1) who eats breakfast at McD's if he doesn't has to? ;)

2) when at home put some Provolone on pancake or waffle. That cheese is also great with a drop of honey and nuts.

Personally I like both waffles and pancakes, but not regularly for breakfast.

Either lots of Palatschinken (austro-hungarian pancakes) with a spread of choice like butter & sugar, marillenmarmelade (jam made out of special apricots), cinnamon,... for dinner or waffles with cream and strawberries or simply sprinkeld with icing sugar for tea time.

For a most awesome second breakfast a fried thick sausage wrapped in a galette (normandy/brittany pancake made from buckwheat) is very hard to beat.

As a "norman burrito" buckwheat pancakes filled with vegetables and ham or bacon with a white sauce is great.

#16 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 1405 PM

Either lots of Palatschinken (austro-hungarian pancakes) with a spread of choice like butter & sugar, marillenmarmelade (jam made out of special apricots), cinnamon,... for dinner or waffles with cream and strawberries or simply sprinkeld with icing sugar for tea time.

Sounds familiar, but best palatschinken were with this:

b61166c0b706eb7a37609328c27077be.jpg

Since it has gone way of dodo with ex-Yugo (that was a single greatest loss with Yugoslavia breaking up), it can be substituted with one or two bars of this rolled into each:

81qMIxku6JL._SX522_.jpg

Edited by bojan, 11 August 2016 - 1407 PM.

#17 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,604 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 1433 PM

There was a Kinder chocolate spread? :blink:

As a child I would have been all over that. I have never cared about Nutella much.

Write Ferrero! #wewantkinderladaback

#18 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 1546 PM

Only in Yugoslavia, cause IIRC Ferrero did not want to license a Nutella so they made that one specifically for our market to be locally produced (Podravka Zagreb). Post-breakup Ferrero did not want to continue license in Croatia, so production stopped about 1993-4. It was denser than Nuttella, with taste identical to Kinder chocolate.

There were few both local and Croatian attempts to make a copy, but not even one came close. :(

Edited by bojan, 12 August 2016 - 2033 PM.

#19 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 1213 PM

Either lots of Palatschinken (austro-hungarian pancakes)

English word (well, French, actually...) is crepe.

When I was a kid I could eat like 10. Nowadays I consume much less fat so I can only eat like 4-5 before giving up.

#20 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 2124 PM

Thin pancakes are the best. ^_^

I remember we made pancakes and, having no syrup or butter, just sprinkled sugar on the surface. Rolled it up and eat. ^_^

I know some people who don't like waffles (not "don't prefer," but really "don't like") but like pancakes. Weird.

My sisters liked powdered sugar on their pancakes. Sometimes they liked apple butter too.The only thing I liked on pancakes outside of syrup or molasses, was honey. Damn now I am hungry. lol

Edited by Mr King, 12 August 2016 - 2124 PM.