• Please log in to reply
17052 replies to this topic

#16421 Mikel2

Mikel2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,606 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 2139 PM

I thought France bought some of their electricity from Germany. Nicht vahr?

Big difference in prices.

G buys from F.

They buy evil nuclear power? :lol:

#16422 Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 2200 PM

Any else here think that it's perfectly reasonable for Trump to pack up and go home given the evidence that a significant number of supposed leaders were not giving his office the respect it deserves?

Personally, I think that elected politicians should not be making juvenile jokes at the expense of the head of state who has the ability to withdraw the single most significant contribution to their states' security.

But then, they're supposed to be the grownups, so I'm clearly missing some subtle political nuance.

Well considering how he puts down and mocks other people, his ego needs to grow a thicker skin. If he can't take it, he shouldn't dish it out.

And so?

If you're going to act in the interests of your country, rather than just be out for the lulz, then you should fucking play to the guy's weaknesses to exploit them, not antagonise him at the expense of your aims.

Unless, of course, your aim in life is to laugh at and with the comedy acts that are you political counterparts. The whole pack of them is worthless.

The whole thing basically looked like Idiocracy to me, from both sides. They're supposed to be debating issues that cost billions of dollars and potentially thousands of lives and they're acting like Gossip Girls. I mean, I'm sure there was a lot of bitching being tossed around at Yalta or whatever, but these people should have been aware that everything is being filmed nowadays.

#16423 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,458 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 0057 AM

Only those who are still here. The rightwingers who complained that TankNet is turning into a leftwing site because people are allowed to talk back to them seem to be mostly gone. ;)

Unfair, doubly so since you've broken bread with at least one of them.

#16424 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,458 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 0100 AM

They buy evil nuclear power? :lol:

Course they do. California offshores it coal powered energy from Oregon.

Doesn't Europe buy a lot of energy from Russia?

#16425 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,675 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 0240 AM

Unfair, doubly so since you've broken bread with at least one of them.

What, pointing out that it's not just leftwingers (by TankNet standards, so really slightly liberal-minded people who would still be called fascist warmongers by real leftists) who have taken their ball and left because they couldn't stand a heated argument is "unfair"? You're aware that's the exact kind of hypocritical whining I'm referring to, right?

Lots of people from either camp have been run off TankNet. Others have taken more or less extended breaks. Including myself, when I thought overall debate had become too stupid, and I had better things to do in real life. I just don't make grand announcements on it, because as Jason notes, people who walk out with a tantrum usually slink back later anyway. Or cry "unfair", like I'm the President of the United States or something.

#16426 lastdingo

lastdingo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 0841 AM

Any else here think that it's perfectly reasonable for Trump to pack up and go home given the evidence that a significant number of supposed leaders were not giving his office the respect it deserves?

Personally, I think that elected politicians should not be making juvenile jokes at the expense of the head of state who has the ability to withdraw the single most significant contribution to their states' security.

But then, they're supposed to be the grownups, so I'm clearly missing some subtle political nuance.

Well considering how he puts down and mocks other people, his ego needs to grow a thicker skin. If he can't take it, he shouldn't dish it out.

And so?

If you're going to act in the interests of your country, rather than just be out for the lulz, then you should fucking play to the guy's weaknesses to exploit them, not antagonise him at the expense of your aims.

Unless, of course, your aim in life is to laugh at and with the comedy acts that are you political counterparts. The whole pack of them is worthless.

The whole thing basically looked like Idiocracy to me, from both sides. They're supposed to be debating issues that cost billions of dollars and potentially thousands of lives and they're acting like Gossip Girls. I mean, I'm sure there was a lot of bitching being tossed around at Yalta or whatever, but these people should have been aware that everything is being filmed nowadays.

I see two rather plausible scenarios
1) They (save for Johnson) were aware, but didn't mind becuase there's no point in holding back. The lying moron is useless for diplomacy all-round, after all. He's a chronic liar, and no agreement with or promise by a chronic liar is worth anything. Moreover, it was a nice move of them to embarrass the chronic liar Johnson and weaken him before the elections in the UK. So that's the strategic masterminds explanation.

2) They are used to reporters knowing and taping, but not publishing such conversations and thus they did not expect publication. Things are different with the lying moron, though.

I tend to think #2 hits the spot. Those men are no strategic masterminds, no great actors and likely had no opportunity to prepare for such a show.

---------------

In the end, Americans should understand that they don't have a foreign policy with democracies these days, and their foreign policy with autocrats is mostly the lying moron getting manipulated to serve their interests.

What Americans have is a bunch of arrogant ambassadors trampling around, a bunch of more or less professional diplomats travelling to negotiations (but often without a clue what or how to achieve anything).

There is no point in concluding a treaty with the United States these days. A treaty only makes sense if you can expect to get something in return for what you give. The lying, erratic behaviour, childish behaviour and unreliability as well as utter disrespect for international law by the lying moron makes the U.S. these days way too unreliable for being a partner in anything.

Foreign leaders merely suffer through the presence of the American delegation in meetings, waiting for a time when the Americans have no useless lying moron as their president.

Replace the obviously corrupt and constitution-disrespecting lying moron with Pence. Pence won't be liked much, but there will be an American foreign policy at least at the level of the GWB administration again after a few months.

#16427 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 0843 AM

Banshee,

I think most people leave here because it has become tiresome.  I mean, how many of Stuart's posts can a person read? ( there are a lot)

Some folks leave because they are old and some have died.

TankNet has be going on a long time, of course there is attrition.

There isn't a lot of "new blood" because there are a much larger set of choices online than there were when TankNet started.

Anybody who leaves an online discussion forum because their feelings are hurt is taking the internet too seriously.

TankNet is far from what it was but compared to some of what is out there it is still a good place to visit.

#16428 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 56,283 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 0944 AM

Banshee,

I think most people leave here because it has become tiresome.  I mean, how much many of Stuart's posts common sense can a person read? ( there is a lot)

Some folks leave because they are old and some have died.

TankNet has be going on a long time, of course there is attrition.

There isn't a lot of "new blood" because there are a much larger set of choices online than there were when TankNet started.

Anybody who leaves an online discussion forum because their feelings are hurt is taking the internet too seriously.

TankNet is far from what it was but compared to some of what is out there it is still a good place to visit.

Fixed it for you.

I dont think people are joining because they see a big red warning sign saying its a dangerous site as soon as they land on it. A good friend of mine (the guy who made the 3d models of the steam locomotives) has been put off for that reason. That and having to jump through hoops to sign up. Something really needs to be done to resolve that, or this site is heading for extinction.

TBH, its going to take a LOT more than a someones bullshit to push me out, and I hope if I offend other people with my comments, they will feel the same way.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 06 December 2019 - 0945 AM.

#16429 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,283 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 1005 AM

Wall street Journal claims the President is mulling plans to sent 14000 troops to Iraq to face down Iran. The Pentagon denies it.

https://english.alar...to-Mideast.html

#16430 Jeff

Jeff

Godfather of Tanknet Birthday Greetings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,721 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 1057 AM

The reason why Trump must be impeached before the election.

266,000 jobs created last month
Wages +3.1% beating consensus
Past Reports Revised higher +41,000

https://twitter.com/...943957694590979

#16431 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,458 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 1101 AM

What, pointing out that it's not just leftwingers (by TankNet standards, so really slightly liberal-minded people who would still be called fascist warmongers by real leftists) who have taken their ball and left because they couldn't stand a heated argument is "unfair"? You're aware that's the exact kind of hypocritical whining I'm referring to, right?

Having spoken to several of them face to face. I recall that they were more unhappy with the way that moderatorship was personally biased in how folks were timed out and how permanent bans for very bad behavior were rescinded.

#16432 Tim the Tank Nut

Tim the Tank Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 1139 AM

the huge warning at log in is a very good point...

#16433 Brian Kennedy

Brian Kennedy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 1208 PM

+1. If we could figure out how to make that go away it would do wonders for membership.

#16434 seahawk

seahawk

military loving leftist peace monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 1234 PM

That is probably the root cause for no new members.

#16435 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 1330 PM

the huge warning at log in is a very good point...

Several times I have linked to threads here on other boards and got 'not going near that board' due to the warning.

Edited by MiloMorai, 06 December 2019 - 1331 PM.

#16436 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 1330 PM

.....and......

Retail drug prices declined last year for first time since 1973  
Add to list

https://www.washingt...253e_story.html

#16437 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,283 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 0334 AM

For whatever reason, the site's situation is not being discussed, and I think this really needs to be resolved. Maybe we should create a separate thread for it?

#16438 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,576 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 0415 AM

For whatever reason, the site's situation is not being discussed, and I think this really needs to be resolved. Maybe we should create a separate thread for it?

The red wall might be intentional, hehehehwhehe

#16439 lastdingo

lastdingo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 0810 AM

266k jobs created in a month - that's what right wingers tout as success in a country of about 330M?
Oh, the gullibles.

latest_numbers_CES0000000001_2009_2019_a

https://data.bls.gov...t_view=net_1mth

266k is well within the noise band, and there's no break with normalcy since 2011. No policy change shows up in there. If anything, 2019 looks weak.

Moreover, 266k is a preliminary data point, just as the month before. The last reliably data point is Sep 2019: 193k.

And then there's the fact that the lying moron's stupid and crony trade wars have hurt agriculture much, and that statistic with 266k jobs created is NONFARM only.

It's normal to exclude farm jobs because of their seasonality, but in this case it also happens to exclude an area where the lying moron's policies have had one of the worst effects.

#16440 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 0857 AM

To add on the positive job news  from a very liberal site, I notice the reference to blue-collar jobs and Mike Rowe. 

https://www.democrat...om/100212759109