1349 replies to this topic

#1341 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,760 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 1952 PM

The F-35 will have as good or better, combined with FAR superior ESM and ECM. One of the main problems of stealth is knowing where the emitters are. Every platform has angles where it gives itself away - the B2 is unique in that it is basically only four. But if you catch it perfectly wing on, it will return in most any frequency from what I understand. It has to tact towards its target such that one of its four vulnerable angles never appears perfectly perpendicular to a threat radar. This is an aspect of stealth few people talk about - the ESM necessary to handle your signature from multiple emitters in multiple directions.

#1342 Burncycle360

Burncycle360

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 1248 PM

Deleted

Edited by Burncycle360, 22 March 2019 - 1346 PM.

#1343 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 0052 AM

They were used in Panama too.  Keep in mind all of this was only half the equation, the other half was very heavy regional jamming.

Just Cause was the first operational use of the F117 if I recall correctly. Going downtown on Baghdad a year later was likely more in line with the originally intended mission of the F117, however. Stealth plus theaterwide jamming dominance was decisive then and what the USAF continues to aspire to now.

#1344 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,640 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 0258 AM

Im personally convinced the F117 was used 6 months before it was officially announced. I think it was in early 1988 a Libyan Chemical plant that was making chemical weapon's blew up for no apparent reason. Which of course might be anything, but at the same time as it happened, strange triangular shaped UFO's were seen in the UK for the first time, often near military training area's, and it was an open secret in the UK that the F117 had deployed here before it was officially acknowledged. That would be thin, but it was admitted in one book that the F117 was nearly used in 1986 in El Dorado Canyon, but they chose to not do so, to maintain secrecy.

I think Clancy might have been onto somethign when he talked of the 'hushabomb' in one of his novels. LGB with a celulose coating wouldnt leave damn all in fragments.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 24 March 2019 - 0259 AM.

#1345 glenn239

glenn239

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:35 AM

Russian government starting an export drive for the SU-57, still hoping for Indian contract,'

https://www.rt.com/b...port-prospects/

#1346 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:02 AM

Not exactly "still hoping". FGFA is quite dead, so now question is not in India funding their own version of T-50, but in India buying common T-50 airframe with moderate tweaks and without/minimal tech transfer.

#1347 glenn239

glenn239

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:57 AM

I'm half watching for the Russians to start offering S-500 for export as part of a package deal with SU-57.

#1348 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:39 PM

For indians - sure, why not. They were looking for ABM for some time already.

#1349 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted Today, 04:44 AM

BTW T-50 is being offered to Malaysia right now.

#1350 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,640 posts

Posted Today, 08:48 AM

Some new markings have been noticed on still flying F117's, which suggests a new operating unit.

https://www.thedrive...-desert-flights

I idly wonder if this is some kind of cover operation for another low observable aircraft undergoing testing?

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, Today, 08:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users