8 replies to this topic

#1 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 0708 AM

Well, I had a Crucial MX300 275gb SSD installed in my daughters laptop, and it went from a slow machine, to a much, much faster one.  She is happy since iTunes now loads very quickly, and so next week my Linux laptop goes in for the same upgrade.  When I get Lupe's new machine, it will get a Samsung EVO Pro 512gb SSD. 

#2 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,216 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 0902 AM

Yeah, once you go solid, you never go back.

For laptops and desktops, the main thing is boot time. Hit the power button, pull up a chair, and log in.

I'm fixin' to add SSDs to my servers at work. I looked at 10k drives, but I need speed over volume.

For the vast majority of folks, they would be better off with 128 or 256 GB SSD in their portable, than any size hard drive.

#3 lucklucky

lucklucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 0914 AM

Nothing compares to an SSD update. It is like night and day.

I supppose you mean mechanical hard drives  because smaller SSDs typically slower than higher capacity SSD's even if for common person the differnce between SSD in not much relevant.

#4 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 2102 PM

My youngest WANTS to use her laptop again since it is so fast now.  I'll be taking my linux machine in for an SSD upgrade this friday.

Yeah, once you go solid, you never go back.

For laptops and desktops, the main thing is boot time. Hit the power button, pull up a chair, and log in.

I'm fixin' to add SSDs to my servers at work. I looked at 10k drives, but I need speed over volume.

For the vast majority of folks, they would be better off with 128 or 256 GB SSD in their portable, than any size hard drive.

#5 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,352 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 2014 PM

Nothing compares to an SSD update. It is like night and day.

Indeed.

If I had extra cash lying around, I'd've upgraded my sister's laptop with an SSD already. When I was asked to use it to retrieve a file, OMG it was slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. It had 8GB of RAM and it was a 1Ghz or faster machine. Yet compared to my rigs which have SSDs and 16GBs RAM, my sister's laptop was so slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. I almost got the equivalent of road rage just waiting for it to boot up.

:D

#6 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,352 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 2015 PM

I dunno. Looking at how my sisters use their computers, 256GB doesn't seem to be enough. :blink:

#7 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 1457 PM

An SSD for boot/root and spinning rust for bulk data storage has proven a huge win.

My T530 laptop boots from a 256GB SSD and mounts a 1TB spinning drive for stashing movie files and the like. It occupies the space originally intended for the optical drive; Lenovo provides an adapter for the conversion.

The machine I'm prepping to replace the ciar.org main server has a similar arrangement -- 512GB SSD boot/root and a RAID6 array of spinners mounted on /home (which I abuse horribly for /var-like purposes .. there's a /home/log, /home/mail, etc).

The old ciar.org server had to be touched for maintenance about once every four years. I'm hoping the new one will only need to be touched every six or eight.

#8 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,216 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 0130 AM

An SSD for boot/root and spinning rust for bulk data storage has proven a huge win.

My T530 laptop boots from a 256GB SSD and mounts a 1TB spinning drive for stashing movie files and the like. It occupies the space originally intended for the optical drive; Lenovo provides an adapter for the conversion.

That's how I'm rollin with my personal laptop. OEM DVD drive didn't work for Shinola. I can live without the hard drive, cannot live without silicon for system drive.

#9 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 1112 AM

That seems to be the idea in the more high end laptops.  I might try that later on.  Lupe is going to get a Samsung EVO Pro 512 gb SSD on her new laptop.  I should have my little linux notebook back this week with the 275gb Crucial MX300, and I hope for great things. 

The machine I'm prepping to replace the ciar.org main server has a similar arrangement -- 512GB SSD boot/root and a RAID6 array of spinners mounted on /home (which I abuse horribly for /var-like purposes .. there's a /home/log, /home/mail, etc).

The old ciar.org server had to be touched for maintenance about once every four years. I'm hoping the new one will only need to be touched every six or eight.