Photo

Georgian military is liberating South Ossetia from rebel forces

• Please log in to reply
1048 replies to this topic

#1041 Guest_bojan_*

Guest_bojan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2008 - 1656 PM

...it would be a long time before the phone network will be up and running in Georgia...

Ay least in Tbilisi it worked in the middle of the fighting and it worked yesterday - my boss who worked in Georgia previously phoned to see if people he knows are OK.

#1042 ink

ink

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Interests:Military stuff, political stuff, history stuff, beer.

Posted 05 September 2008 - 1006 AM

Just to illustrate the unimpressive nature of the USN's "aid" effort:

http://en.rian.ru/ru.../116568768.html

MOSCOW, September 5 (RIA Novosti) - Russia sent two more aircraft carrying humanitarian aid to hurricane-stricken Cuba on Friday, a Russian emergencies service spokesperson said.

"The first Il-76 cargo aircraft took off at 10:40 a.m. Moscow time [06:40 GMT], and the second one at around 11:00 a.m. Moscow time [07:00 GMT]. They will deliver around 60 metric tons of humanitarian cargo," the spokesperson said.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev ordered the emergencies service to send four aircraft to Cuba to deliver tents for 5,000 people, construction materials, and food in the wake of Hurricane Gustav. The first two cargo aircraft arrived in Cuba on Thursday.

#1043 philgollin

philgollin

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 1112 AM

Well, diapers and formula are CLEARLY components for biological weapon.
:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, is that written in "sarcasm" font ?

#1044 TSJ

TSJ

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 5,170 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 1329 PM

Just to illustrate the unimpressive nature of the USN's "aid" effort:

http://en.rian.ru/ru.../116568768.html

They are probably upgrading the Cubans' weapons.

#1045 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,571 posts
  • Interests:everything (almost)

Posted 05 September 2008 - 1545 PM

Manufactured paranoia. :lol:

September 5, 2008: Largely out of view of the West, Russia has been waging a bizarre media campaign internally, striving to convince its citizens that the recent unpleasantness in Georgia was all the doing of the United States. One of the main accusations was that Russian troops found numerous "American mercenaries" among the dead. When pressed by Western reporters inside Russia, to display some of this evidence, the Russians have been evasive. Late last month, the Russians finally came forward with the U.S. passport of one of the "American mercenaries". The name on the passport was Michael Lee White, who turns out to be a 41 year old U.S. Army veteran. But at the time of his alleged death, and for some time before that, he was in Texas, caring for his sick father. :lol: He is now teaching English at the Guangdong (China) University of Business Studies, where he was when the Russian accusations caught up with him. When questioned by reporters, White said he had never been to Georgia, and had nothing to do with what was going on there. When asked about his passport, he said he did lose one on a 2005 flight from Moscow to New York. Now he knows where that passport ended up. The Russians will probably assert that White lost his passport in Georgia, and escaped to the United States, where the CIA provided a dying father and a teaching job in China as part of a coverup. This sort of thing plays well in Russia, and for the Russian government, that's all that counts.

http://www.strategyp...s/20080905.aspx

#1046 yak_v

yak_v

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 1601 PM

Manufactured paranoia. :lol:
http://www.strategyp...s/20080905.aspx

Agree, all that crap is ridiculous, but unfortunately it works fro the internal consumption....

Vladimir

#1047 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,153 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 1740 PM

And this compares with US fear of ICBM attack from Iran?

I'm well aware that Americans tend to exhibit their own special strands of paranoia. Though frankly, I think preparing for a not-yet materialized threat from Iran based on their ongoing missile development is a lot more logical than assuming the ABM silos in Poland could be fitted with IRBMs when everybody has been doing his level best to make ballistic missiles mobile and hide them in the woods for survivability, and IRBMs have been for decades (IOW, if you're going to deploy offensive systems, you neither need nor want fixed installations).

Anyway, I'm not too hung up on the missile issue - I am old enough to remember the Cold War and its nuclear logic, and that of course it's always the other guy who's a threat. See the US getting bent all out of shape over the Cuban missiles, but quietly withdrawing the Jupiters from Turkey after "winning" that one, or the Soviets deploying SS-20s, then raise a stink when NATO re-upped with the Double Track Decision.

What has become clear to me within the last posts however is that this paranoia is being deliberately flaunted to make the impression of "We're big bad dangerous maniacs! Don't cross us, or we might explode and take everybody with us!" Pathetic, really. I understand the former WP nations moving toward the West a whole lot better now - even the occasional American "Give me respect, yo!" bling-wearing ghetto style implies a lot more inward and outward security.

#1048 Vasiliy Fofanov

Vasiliy Fofanov

"Soviet cheering section"

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,109 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Armor

Posted 05 September 2008 - 1759 PM

This US Army vet sure travels a lot though...

#1049 Vasiliy Fofanov

Vasiliy Fofanov

"Soviet cheering section"

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,109 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Armor

Posted 05 September 2008 - 1802 PM

Pathetic, really.

Hey, we *are* pathetic :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users