• PipPip
  • 9,612 posts
  • Interests:military, martial arts, wargames, literature

Posted 08 March 2018 - 0640 AM

You might see from this why gam/sim is so good from this:

http://www.matrixgam...m.asp?m=4448503

MATRIX GAMES PARTNERS WITH UDRI ON LONG TERM MILITARY TRAINING PROJECT; 
PROFESSIONAL USE OF COMMERCIAL GAMES IS MORE THAN REALITY 

Air Force Pentagon has for some time been reviewing advanced training and analysis simulations that leverage commercial software. Matrix Games LLC and the University of Dayton Research Institute (UDRI) are pioneering this vital service and are organizing the first ever International Users Group for Command Professional Edition here at Dayton, Ohio, the heart of Air Force research, engineering, and acquisition excellence. It is the first time that an important research organization has opened its doors to a wide array of military experts for a presentation of a professional version of a commercial videogame. 

Delegates are coming from the U.S. Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps, as well as from other NATO organizations and various military contractor organizations. During the three-day conference, delegates will be presented with demonstrations and tutorial tools outlining the capabilities of Command P.E. They will also be introduced to the full range of technical analysis and experimentation features that are unique to Command P.E., which boasts a powerful, scalable simulation engine and flexible user interface, and which utilizes the vast database of the award-winning real-time strategy game Command Modern Air/Naval Operations, created by the WarfareSims development team. Command P.E. is an ad-hoc solution that further enhances the simulation and analysis needs of key professional clients around the world. The flexible game design affords opportunities for gamification of learning and investment decisions support. 

"The level of interest and active involvement that has been shown by the University of Dayton Research Institute is a testament to the infinite potential this software has," said JD McNeil, CEO of Matrix Games LLC. "The limitless possibilities for application in the professional field is proof that the modern videogames industry has a lot more to give than just entertainment. We are proud to spearhead these applications, and we are investing considerable resources to expand Commercial off The Shelf (COTS) solutions to military users in an affordable and timely way." 

The University of Dayton Research Institute specializes in the research, development, application and transition of technology in diverse fields, including materials, structures, energy, propulsion, manufacturing, sensors, intelligence and much more. The event will be held March 20-23 at UDRI in Dayton, Ohio. 

Matrix Games LLC is a division of Slitherine Software UK Ltd. and specializes in creating professional versions of strategy video games. Through careful research and development, commercial simulations are turned into modern and powerful programs that are able to replicate complex military operations, both tactical and operational. Clients include various element of the United States military and NATO and various military contractors worldwide. 

The use of games in professional environments is not at all new, but Matrix Games is exploiting and leveraging on years of expertise in creating deep strategic simulations in military settings. The level of detail of some modern videogames is significantly higher than other commercial software created for professional purposes, hence the vast amount of interest generated by commercial products such as Command, Flashpoint Campaigns and the “Close Combat” game series 

#102 Sardaukar

Sardaukar

Cynical Finnish Elk Eating Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,612 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 1149 AM

Worth reading:

http://www.matrixgam....military.asset

#103 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,336 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 25 July 2018 - 0611 AM

I got the game but still can't get to play it hahahahahaha

#104 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 54,008 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 0643 AM

I can play it, but I seemed to spend more time tinkering with it than playing it. Ive still got a scenario based on the 1973 naval standoff I really ought to finish.

#105 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,836 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 25 July 2018 - 2011 PM

I'm now regretting passing up the massive discount they had for this during the last Steam sale.  I think it was the biggest markdown they've had for it so far.  I looked closer at it and the system specs are a joke so even my machine can handle it.  Put a note to watch for this next Steam sale (hopefully at the same discount).

#106 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiles, guns, computers

Posted 26 July 2018 - 0443 AM

Picked it up sometime in 2016, but didn't get around to playing it till last summer. Played it a lot last year, need to start up again. Definitely not a game to just start casually playing, easy to get obsessed with 'what if I did this instead of that.' The Korean Missile Crisis alone kept me in do overs for weeks.

Never got it to work on my 4k Thinkpad Y50/70, but it does work on my 1080p Ideapad, so I'll start playing it on that machine. However I just started playing MoO2 that I got on sale at Gog.com some time ago. Forgot how fun MoO2 was, been burning up a lot of my free time playing it now.

#107 Sardaukar

Sardaukar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,612 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 0847 AM

Another win for CMANO:

https://www.navalnew...y-for-training/

You are at :Home»News»Dstl, Royal Navy Turn to Commercial Gaming Industry for Training
Dstl-Royal-Navy-Turn-to-Commercial-Gamin
Screen capture from the popular wargame "Command"
Dstl, Royal Navy Turn To Commercial Gaming Industry For Training The Royal Navy will be using a professional version of naval warfare video game Command (Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations) as a training tool as part of a UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) £1.5m deal.

#108 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 28 August 2019 - 1412 PM

CMANO is way too addictive. I have it, but can't bring myself to install it having spent far too much of the 1990s playing Harpoon :(

#109 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 1916 PM

Come on over to the darkside Chris. There is a fun little scenario with the Norwegians squaring off vs the Soviets in different eras, 50s/60s, 80s/90s and modern. Great to play all three consecutively to see the advancements in tech. You can easily play all three in an evening. Excellent little starter scenario to get your feet wet before trying a monster campaign.

#110 Sardaukar

Sardaukar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,612 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 0555 AM

@Chris 

Surrender when next Steam/Matrix sale is :)

#111 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,008 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 0628 AM

In case anyone has missed it, there is an amusing novel written based on some CMANO scenarios. Its a little uneven, but a good read for all that.

https://www.amazon.c...=gateway&sr=8-1

#112 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,294 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 0405 AM

@Chris 

Surrender when next Steam/Matrix sale is :)

I already have it....

#113 Sardaukar

Sardaukar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,612 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 1037 AM

I didn't see this coming!

https://www.matrixga...m.asp?m=4683759

https://store.steamp...ern_Operations/

Edited by Sardaukar, 03 September 2019 - 1041 AM.

#114 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,294 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 1233 PM

I've added it to my Steam wish list (it's the only thing that's ever been on it) :)

#115 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,008 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 1258 PM

No Train Sim? :(

#116 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 1911 PM

Added as well, it's only money.

#117 Sardaukar

Sardaukar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,612 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 1430 PM

Apparently CMANO owners will get decent discount for getting C:MO

#118 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,294 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 1447 PM

Apparently CMANO owners will get decent discount for getting C:MO

That's really decent of them, but I confess, it really makes me cringe when people start whinging about upgrade costs over on the Steel Beasts forum etc. Let's face it, compared to almost anything else we could do as a hobby, both CMANO and SB are fantastic value per hour spent. That's leaving aside the fact that, in both cases, you are literally getting an authentic military-grade product and a truly unique experience. I think the most recent SB upgrade (the first pay for one in at least three years) was something like fifty quid IIRC. Given the next one is probably another three years off, that is an infinitesimal amount of cash for the enjoyment provided. It's about the going rate for a hand job for in my neck of the woods :)

#119 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,294 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 1452 PM

No Train Sim? :(

It would be too dangerous. I am a recovering anoraksic 

#120 Sardaukar

Sardaukar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,612 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 1012 AM

From Matrix about discount:

ORIGINAL: IainMcNeil

Just to answer some of the common questions

. . .

* There will be a significant incentive for players who want to upgrade from CMANO to CMO, so you will not be paying the full price if you already own CMANO. Details TBD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users