15086 replies to this topic

#14941 Nikolas93TS

Nikolas93TS

Thread necromancer and obscure questions

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 2008 PM

Indeed, except those Hezbollah T-90 are not employed on hot-spots, but are sitting in a remote, fairly calm area of the front. They took part in combat against ISIS in Eastern Aleppo, but in a manner showing lack of training. So such night fighting capability is currently wasted.

#14942 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,332 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 16 July 2019 - 1037 AM

Tiger Forces video showing a T-72AV without any glacis ERA and some Kontakt on the turret and IR jammer of another design. Other videos have shown T-72s equipped with ghetto NV in an armored box on the mantlet. Allegedly a new delivery of the Tartous Express has arrived in northern Hama.

#14943 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 18,413 posts
  • Interests:Tank recovery

Posted 21 July 2019 - 1645 PM

ANNA-News documentary, now with Eng subtitles

#14944 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 18,413 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 1706 PM

RusAF vs. rebels

Edited by Roman Alymov, 21 July 2019 - 1707 PM.

#14945 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 18,413 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 1725 PM

With Eng subtitles

#14946 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 18,413 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 1802 PM

ANNA-news on early days of civil war in Syria

#14947 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 18,413 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 1616 PM

#14948 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 18,413 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 1700 PM

Fresh ANNA-News report

#14949 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 0838 AM

Tiger Forces video showing a T-72AV without any glacis ERA and some Kontakt on the turret and IR jammer of another design. Other videos have shown T-72s equipped with ghetto NV in an armored box on the mantlet. Allegedly a new delivery of the Tartous Express has arrived in northern Hama.

How far could out you usefully use the 7.62 coax reticle for a 12.7mm ?

#14950 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 23,332 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 2321 PM

Out to whatever max. 12.7x108 drops away more slowly.

#14951 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 23,332 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 2325 PM

Looks like the early summer plan of a series of probing attacks has had the desired effect of forcing HTS n Co. To fill out the lines and expise themselves to the drone guided meatgrinder of air and arty. This weeks advances were lightly resisted and lots of evidence of the effects of attrition. The risk now for jihadis is to stay and be cut off or withdraw and be slaughtered on the move.

#14952 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 0212 AM

I would expect that using the 7.62 mm reticle for a target at say 1200 or more so 1500 metres is going to give you way too much elevation for the 12.7mm and the rounds will fall too far out.

Edited by KV7, 12 August 2019 - 0212 AM.

#14953 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 23,332 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 0950 AM

Nope. You just register and adjust.

#14954 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 1407 PM

Many of the explosions seen in the drone footage are rather small, for example when targeting vehicles and tanks (at 4:59), almost like that of a Hellfire missile. What type of munitions are used?

Another conspicuous aspect is that many of the large explosions in the video take place at several dozens of meters away from the apparent target the drone is focusing on (i.e. at 4:32, 4:47, 6:24). Are these caused by unguided munitions? Large mortar?

Edited by Daan, 12 August 2019 - 1411 PM.

#14955 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 1500 PM

Many of the explosions seen in the drone footage are rather small, for example when targeting vehicles and tanks (at 4:59), almost like that of a Hellfire missile. What type of munitions are used?

Another conspicuous aspect is that many of the large explosions in the video take place at several dozens of meters away from the apparent target the drone is focusing on (i.e. at 4:32, 4:47, 6:24). Are these caused by unguided munitions? Large mortar?

First - Vikhr, Ataka, newish small drone mutinion (last one is unlikely tho).
Second - usual misinterpretation of rus footage, which, btw, initially led to "russian guided bombs are inaccurate" memes. UAV is not targeting anything, just observing intact. Guidance in most cases done by carrier itself, which in most cases is Su-34. Unguided bombs are possible but unlikely for given targets.

Edited by GARGEAN, 12 August 2019 - 1500 PM.

#14956 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 1554 PM

So, for the small explosions the platform should be an attack helicopter, like the Ka-52.

I do not particularly see the misinterpretation, as I did not claim the drone is the targeting platform. However, I do find it rather strange that a munition lands on a completely barren piece of ground when the enemy vehicle or position ("fuel warehouse"), which the drone seems to be observing, is dozens of meters away from the point of impact. This gives several options: 1) the targeting platform had something else in mind, i.e. an olive tree, which is unlikely given the wide FOV of the drone and the scarce vegetation, 2) the combination of the targeting pod and the PGM leads to the bomb landing far from the intended target, thus inaccuracy, 3) the munition is released outside of the necessary engagement parameters, which implies the crew's skills are below par.

Edited by Daan, 12 August 2019 - 1603 PM.

#14957 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,345 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 1715 PM

I would expect that using the 7.62 mm reticle for a target at say 1200 or more so 1500 metres is going to give you way too much elevation for the 12.7mm and the rounds will fall too far out.

Nope. You just register and adjust.

Either this, you just adjust by fall of shot and use the vertical line in the reticle just for a rough alignment. Or you calculate a cheat sheet that tells you which marking in the reticle corresponds to which range with a different caliber and ammunition.

in other news Turkey plans t ogrow it looks like:

Turkey to annex northern Syria with US blessing

Ankara outmaneuvers Washington, weeks after crisis in relations over purchase of Russian S-400 missile system
The United States military, desperate to avoid an open confrontation between its NATO ally and Kurdish clients, has capitulated in a game of chicken with Ankara, agreeing to an occupation zone across northern Syria.
The announced agreement comes just weeks after US lawmakers threatened Turkey with sanctions over its purchase of the Russian S-400 missile defense system. By threatening an imminent attack on the Kurdish YPG militia – America’s ally against ISIS – Ankara appears to have obtained a green light for a US-shepherded seizure of Syrian territory.

The so-called “peace corridor” is expected to span the entire region east of the Euphrates River, stretching 460 kilometers, according to Turkey’s state news agency Anadolu. It will also go 32 kilometers deep into Syrian territory, putting Kurdish-held towns like Kobane – seized from ISIS in 2015 – under Turkish authority.

(...)

Edited by Panzermann, 12 August 2019 - 1716 PM.

#14958 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 1934 PM

Right the proper way to do it is to make a little graph with the true range on the x axis, and the 'effective range' on the y axis.

I.e. the range to target is 1200 metres, which gives an effective range of eg. 800 metres when using the 7.62mm reticle.

#14959 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 0842 AM

So, for the small explosions the platform should be an attack helicopter, like the Ka-52.

I do not particularly see the misinterpretation, as I did not claim the drone is the targeting platform. However, I do find it rather strange that a munition lands on a completely barren piece of ground when the enemy vehicle or position ("fuel warehouse"), which the drone seems to be observing, is dozens of meters away from the point of impact. This gives several options: 1) the targeting platform had something else in mind, i.e. an olive tree, which is unlikely given the wide FOV of the drone and the scarce vegetation, 2) the combination of the targeting pod and the PGM leads to the bomb landing far from the intended target, thus inaccuracy, 3) the munition is released outside of the necessary engagement parameters, which implies the crew's skills are below par.

Or Su-25.

#14960 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 23,332 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 1130 AM

Neither. ANNA hints at arty. I have not seen any video of attack helos rabota by day. Also most hits look a lot bigger than Ataka/Vikhr.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users