222 replies to this topic

#221 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiles, guns, computers

Posted 19 July 2019 - 1740 PM

Current project is getting Open Media Vault running on my Raspberry Pi 3. Have it loaded on a 16 gb SD Card, project part will be transferring all my media, 6 Tb or so, from scattered drives onto an 8 Tb USB drive attached to the Pi. Then to get everything organized for Plex. My Roku, FireTV and smart tv all have plex apps, so i will be able to stream to any of them.

I was planning on doing the same thing by building a FreeNAS, but the simple OMV on Pi was a lot cheaper. Just found out a few hours ago that I need to spend $2800 or so on a replacement Air Conditioner, my 15 yr old AC is about $700-$800 (correction $500-600, $60/oz * 74 ounces to fill it) for refrigerant after spending $700 on it last year for the same thing. They put in some sort of stop leak last year, but it obviously didn't work. Been sleeping downstairs with a fan this week since its about 95 deg in my bedroom at night. Got a loaner portable from the AC company today to make sleep easier while waiting for the new one. So hot in my den upstairs that my old I7/2700k gaming PC shuts down if I play any games, and I shut down if I try and stay in there to play.

Once that's taken care of financially I'll worry about upgrading the Samsung with Linux.

Edited by GregShaw, 19 July 2019 - 1757 PM.

#222 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,456 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 0900 AM

I am now running Mint 19.2 and it seems "prettier" than the other versions.  Also is there any problem if I start using the 5.0 series Kernel?  Or should I just stick with the 4.15 LTS?

#223 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,456 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 0802 AM

So far Kernel 5.0 seems to have no issues.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users