299 replies to this topic

#1 Slater

Slater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 2146 PM

Worst: So many choices. Maybe Coors?

Best: Heck, I don't know. Had some decent brews when I was stationed in the UK.

#2 nyati

nyati

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 2300 PM

Best? I would say Tusker, but that isn't honestly true. :lol: I do love Tusker, but there are better beers. Fischer D'Alsace is really good, as is Budwar (Czech)

Worst? hmmm Meisterbrau... or some of the "Inner City" malt liquors, like Old Englishe 800 or such.

Jeremy

#3 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,271 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 2334 PM

A serious candidate for the worst is Michelob Ultra, which is a low carb pseudobeer. Really awful. Coors and Coors Light are ambrosial in comparison.

I don't think there is a single "best beer" as one's palate will prefer different types at different times. When I want a stout, its Guinness. When I want a porter, its Sierra Nevada. Amber lager, Warsteiner Premium Verum. Dark lager, St. Pauli Girl. Ale, its a tough call.

#4 Siggy

Siggy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 0500 AM

It depends a bit on your taste offcourse...

I absolutely love Guinness as a stout. Murphy's stout isn't bad either. For the red beers I prefer Kilkenny and Palm. Lager, if I drink it, it is Grolsch.

Worst beer, also hard to tell. I despise Budweiser; it tastes like sewer water. Heineken and Oranjeboom aren't much better. My worst hangover of all times was when I spend the night drinking Oranjeboom; never have drunk it after that.

#5 RIPper

RIPper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 0608 AM

you should come to Czech republic, home of the best beer in the world :). well when we asked our english teacher in the university why did she come to teach in the Czech republic (she's from england), she said it was because of the beer ....of course after the term finished we all went to have some nice ammount of beer...

I'd recomend Pilsner Urquel ( you can buy it in US too), maybe Gambrinus :)

#6 Rubberneck

Rubberneck

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 0752 AM

Best beer, by category:

Stout: Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout

Ale: Boddington's

Lager: Kostrizter Schwarzbeir

Worst:
Piels/Old German/Corona/Milwaukee's Best Ice/Molson Ice/Pabst Blue Ribbon

#7 Michael Eastes

Michael Eastes

Trans-Dimensional Monarchist Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 1603 PM

I like Scottish ales, most every English beer I have tried, and of course German, Irish, and American microbrewery beers. One of the Oregon ones makes a spruce ale that is very interesting and goes well with French and Indian war gaming. One of the joys of the Oregon coast are microbrewery/restaurant combinations; they are easy to find over there.

The worst were one each from Africa and Korea; both came in big bottles, and tasted like embalming fluid.

#8 Rubberneck

Rubberneck

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 1632 PM

I also had an Egyptian beer when I was over there....donkey urine. I think it was called Stella, not to be confused to the slightly better swill eminating from Belgium called Stella Artois.

#9 John Dudek

John Dudek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 1842 PM

I like Scottish ales, most every English beer I have tried, and of course German, Irish, and American microbrewery beers. One of the Oregon ones makes a spruce ale that is very interesting and goes well with French and Indian war gaming. One of the joys of the Oregon coast are microbrewery/restaurant combinations; they are easy to find over there.

The worst were one each from Africa and Korea; both came in big bottles, and tasted like embalming fluid.

View Post

That's probably because some brewers DO use formaldehyde to preserve their beers. :blink:

A pal of mine who was stationed in Korea found this out himself, much to his discomforture. :angry:

He never drank Korean beer again.

Edited by John Dudek, 10 March 2005 - 1843 PM.

#10 John Dudek

John Dudek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 1855 PM

Worst: So many choices. Maybe Coors?

Best: Heck, I don't know. Had some decent brews when I was stationed in the UK.

View Post

So many beers, so little time! :lol:

Jeesh! Where do I start? For my money, the UK's Bitters are EXCELLENT! Germany and the Czech Republic hold the Crown Title for Best Lagers.

America's Micro-brews are GRATE and getting better. Many of their India Pale Ale's would give the Mother Country a run for it's money.

I have to beg your pardon, though. On a blistering, hot, summer day, nothing tastes better to me than pounding down a litre of ice-cold, Coors Lager.

Yup. It's nothing like its European counterparts, of course, it isn't meant to be.

It IS like "making love in a canoe"- [email protected] close to water, but it kills a thirst like nothing else!

#11 Michael Eastes

Michael Eastes

Trans-Dimensional Monarchist Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 1950 PM

That's probably because some brewers DO use formaldehyde to preserve their beers.  :blink: 

A pal of mine who was stationed in Korea found this out himself, much to his discomforture. :angry:

He never drank Korean beer again.

View Post

When we went to Team Spirit '89 we spent our first couple of days set up in a field across the road from a brewery, near Chun'Chon, IIRC. It smelled like a poorly-run funeral home. This was the same brand I tried later, but I can't remember the brand name. The pizza joint at Camp Page sold the stuff.

#12 Al

Al

aka Al

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 2016 PM

Worst? Hard to say. I thought Michelob Dark was overrated.

I'll have to disagree with Rubberneck in that I like Stella Artois & Corona. They're good, but not great.

The best German beer I had was Patrizier which is brewed in Nurnberg. For local stuff, I like Boulevard Pale Ale & Sierra Nevada (any kind).

Asked a buddy of mine which was his favorite beer. His answer - "cold". :lol:

#13 Zaraguina

Zaraguina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 1321 PM

Worst (for me) : Excelsior. I discover this beer with High School (US 10st Grade IIRC), we bought it only because it costed 24 french franc (3.65 or 4.9 US$) for 24 beers !
McDonald's was at 200 meters from High School and Supermarcket 350 meters ...

Best (for me) : Madison, a Grand Marnier flavored one. You drink it like milk and you feel the ground start moving before you were expecting it ! :D

Edited by Zaraguina, 11 March 2005 - 1322 PM.

#14 Geoff Winnington-Ball

Geoff Winnington-Ball

OC MLU, aka 'Jif'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 1536 PM

I do like Heineken and Corona occasionally, but only if they're ice-cold (way too expensive anyway). Being the peasant I am, I generally drink Labatt Ice.. used to do Molson Dry but got sick of it after 15 years. Ain't a connoiseur by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like beer (a shot of rye on the side works too!). Gimme a double Absolut with oj anytime. Good for the digestion. Bombay & tonic in the summer.

Nothing is more disgusting than Labatt 50. It'll be coming out your back end for days afterwards.

#15 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 1600 PM

Not having experienced any of the European beers, that I can remember, I like Michelob the best and their winter sampler case for a little variety. During a hot day I find the best drink is cool water. Just my two cents.

#16 Guest_AdamMachell_*

Guest_AdamMachell_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2005 - 0810 AM

you should come to Czech republic, home of the best beer in the world :). well when we asked our english teacher in the university why did she come to teach in the Czech republic (she's from england), she said it was because of the beer ....of course after the term finished we all went to have some nice ammount of beer...

I'd recomend Pilsner Urquel ( you can buy it in US too), maybe Gambrinus :)

View Post

Been there, done that. The Czech beer is great. I still prefer the Germen Hefeweizen though.

What ends up in the US, with the same name, is not anywhere near the quality. The only place I can find to get true European beer is through the Claas 6 store on the military base.

#17 TheSilentType

TheSilentType

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 1437 PM

I was in Montreal about a month ago and made the mistake of buying Labatt Bleue. Foulest beer I ever had.

#18 ShotMagnet

ShotMagnet

Intercalating

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 2213 PM

Best: Grolsch

Worst: Carling Black Label. Maybe the black label should have warned me that it was something like rat-poison. Or maybe the cognac I was drinking with it had something to do with the experience.

Shot

#19 Allan Wotherspoon

Allan Wotherspoon

Radamanthine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 2320 PM

Best: Stella Artois

Worst: Coors

#20 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,255 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 0016 AM

I had some draft Houblon Chouffe tonight and it went well with a pork tenderloin sandwich chased down by a chocolate & pecan pie.