Mythbusters: Moody Brook

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 King Jester

King Jester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:AFV´s of (almost) all eras, specially with desert camos and israeli markings, modern navies and air forces, 20th century wars and conflicts, and a long etc specific to this site.<br />In another order of life, women, muscle cars and european roadsters, hefty food, in that order.<br />Reasons to join this site: wanted to find pics of AFV´s (see above), was quite dissapointed by the lack of imagery in the beginning, but got hooked up with the futile discussions about world politics which take place here regularly.

Posted 09 December 2004 - 1606 PM

Seems like the renown Mythbusters from Discovery Channel have more than just urban myths and some neat special effects up their sleeve.
Script-draft for one of next seasons shows on first post.

King Jester

#2 King Jester

King Jester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:AFV´s of (almost) all eras, specially with desert camos and israeli markings, modern navies and air forces, 20th century wars and conflicts, and a long etc specific to this site.<br />In another order of life, women, muscle cars and european roadsters, hefty food, in that order.<br />Reasons to join this site: wanted to find pics of AFV´s (see above), was quite dissapointed by the lack of imagery in the beginning, but got hooked up with the futile discussions about world politics which take place here regularly.

Posted 09 December 2004 - 1608 PM

Posted Image

Adam: "Say Jamie, most of the urban myths we bust have their origin on some wild claim by a single individual, who usually remains unknown or happens to be the second cousin to the auntie of some old friends neighbor college mate, who sets the myth to roll, and as it passes from mouth to mouth everybody adds a little bit"
Jamie: "Yeah, you're right. In the end nobody really knows what happened and nobody has ever seen it happening again."
Adam: "Well, there is also that other type of myth. You know, those historical myths, allegedly dozens have witnessed them, but truly no actual witness is to find, and most people believe they are true cause "facts" are recollected in books, the internet, newspapers or so"
Jamie: "The difference with urban myths is that urban myths are generally regarded as myths, people known they are myths, and choose to believe them, risking only to be labelled "naive" if the myth is particularly stupid...but those other historic myths are generally considered to be factual, undisputed truth. "Its written on a book, you know, it can't be wrong", is what people say"
Adam: "There is even a deeper analysis to be made about those historic myths. With urban myths, no matter if you believe or reject them, you will fall into two categories: you're either skeptic or naive. With the historic myths, if you dare to question them, you're deemed as revisionist, a troll, a liar or worse. People really go ballistic. Sounds like a good project..."
Jamie: "What are you suggesting?"
Adam: "Ever heard about a place called Moody Brook?"
Jamie: "Not from the top of my head..."
Adam: "I'm sure you have. Moody Brook barracks, on the Falklands"
Jamie: "Oh, yes, I've read about it. What about Moody Brook?"
Adam: "Well, there is this myth about argie commandos who went in hard shooting the barracks up"
Jamie: "No Adam. You got that all wrong. The myth some people would like us to believe is that the argies went in soft, with teargas or so, when in fact they did blow the place up with grenades."
Adam: "No, Jamie. You're wrong. Do you see this is the classic example, find me a witness! The brits weren't even there to see it, were they?"
Jamie: "Well, no. Fortunately for them they were gone. As it says [url="http://"http://www.raf.mod.uk/falklands/inv.html"] HERE [/url] , if you click your way to the complete text, argies wanted to kill as many RMs as possible while they still were in bed! "
Adam: "In all objectivity, Jamie, that source seems to be overstating things a little. Other sources, as this [url="http://"http://www.naval-history.net/F15invasion.htm"] WELL RESEARCHED ONE [/url] does not support such a claim"
Jamie: "Well, smarty. They don't give any witness testimony either, do they?. And what about this [url="http://"http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Falklands/NP8901.html"] PICTURE [/url] here. It clearly shows the barracks flattened."
Adam: "If you read the misleading text twice, you will realize that the damage shown was done "later" in the war. In fact by british bombs. So, not very many hard pieces of evidence left after a couple of 1000lb. hit the building, right?"
Jamie: "OK, that picture is irrelevant, as it does not show the barracks as they were after the argie attack. So, now what? How should we tackle this myth?"

To be continued....

King Jester

#3 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,129 posts
  • Interests:Geomatics // Naval History // Soccer // Teaching

Posted 09 December 2004 - 1628 PM

Here we go again... Posted Image

#4 Stevely

Stevely

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,535 posts
  • Interests:varied

Posted 09 December 2004 - 1631 PM

King Jester still has a bee in his bonnet over the Falklands after all this time. Who knew. I must confess, I didn't see this coming.

#5 Grant Whitley

Grant Whitley

True Heart of the Aztec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 1659 PM

Should be pretty interesting, though. Mythbusters is a decent show, and the two hosts tend to really get into a project that involves guns.

#6 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,129 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 1714 PM

Originally posted by Grant Whitley:
Should be pretty interesting, though.  Mythbusters is a decent show, and the two hosts tend to really get into a project that involves guns.

Well, a simple Google search proves otherwise...

Search "Mythbusters+Falklands" and "Mythbusters+Moody+Brook" and see what you find...

[Edited by FlyingCanOpener (09 Dec 2004).]

#7 BillB

BillB

Scooter Trash Gunphobic, apparently

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,214 posts
  • Interests:most things military, military modelling, Vespa motor scooters, Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Posted 10 December 2004 - 1000 AM

Originally posted by King Jester:
Seems like the renown Mythbusters from Discovery Channel have more than just urban myths and some neat special effects up their sleeve.
Script-draft for one of next seasons shows on first post.
King Jester

Yawn. So what exactly is your point here, Kingjester? A minor discrepancy - possibly - in a peripheral event that has no bearing whatever on the ultimate outcome of the Falklands War or the events leading up to it. Based on the verbal drivellings of a pair of clowns on a cable TV show. Renowned? Renowned for what, looking like geeks with strange headgear? Spare me.

Be that as it may , it does not matter whether the Ca Cdo Anf knocked on the door of Moody Brook barracks all nice and politely, or stormed the place. They had no business being there, they were invaders trespassing on another state's sovereign territory and that is all there is to it whether you like it or not.

I should have thought your energy might be better employed in working on how to instil some professionalism and basic soldiering skills into your Army so next time they can put up a half-competent performance. That would save you having to cook up conspiracy theories and strange ideas like "the Argentine Army only lost because they committed a few more errors than their opponents" like you did last time. Posted Image

BillB

#8 mattblack

mattblack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 1450 PM

I have a hard time believing that they would pick such an obscure subject . Stranger things have happened , but going from "does a duck's quack echo" to such a small piece of obscure , foriegn military history would be something else .I wouldn't mind being proven wrong but "strange internet rumor" is what I say .

It does sound like Bill has had one too many sour apples : it's a show meant for entertainment and is based upon the plausibility of certain things but it's never been portrayed as a definitive study on any subject and they have given updates and/or retractions . Calling them drivelling clowns seems to be a preemptive strike on results that haven't taken place .

#9 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,129 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 1523 PM

You must haven't seen Falklands debates here either...

#10 BillB

BillB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,214 posts
  • Interests:most things military, military modelling, Vespa motor scooters, Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Posted 10 December 2004 - 2314 PM

Originally posted by mattblack:
  I have a hard time believing that they would pick such an obscure subject . Stranger things have happened , but going from "does a duck's quack echo" to such a small piece of obscure , foriegn military history would be something else .I wouldn't mind being proven wrong but "strange internet rumor" is what I say .
It does sound like Bill has had one too many sour apples : it's a show meant for entertainment and is based upon the plausibility of certain things but it's never been portrayed as a definitive study on any subject and they have given updates and/or retractions . Calling them drivelling clowns seems to be a preemptive strike on results that haven't taken place .

You're prolly right about the sour apples, Matt, but as CanOpener points out, you don't appear to be aware of KJ's past history in this regard. He hasn't put up the comment to advertise a "show meant for entertainment" but to support a political point he argued unsuccessfully last time he raised this subject, as he does with monotonous regularity and with no acknowledgement of logic, argument, evidence or any perspective except his own. Which is why I went in with both feet this time at the outset. Posted Image

Ref the show, actually I have had the misfortune to see it a few times, and I am sticking with my opinion that they are a pair of drivelling clowns. The show may not be portrayed as being a definitive study or whatever, but that is exactly how anything they come up with will be regarded that way by the many of the targetted audience for that kind of stuff. Which is perhaps why they ought to stick to lightweight trivia.

Off for another ration of crab apples now...

BillB

[Edited by BillB (11 Dec 2004).]

#11 FITZ

FITZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 0306 AM

Reading the alleged "script" below leads me to immediately believe this is a hoax. Not only is this subject far too obscure for an American TV audience, but how could the hosts possibly test this scientifically? Besides that, the heavy use of slang in the text is indicitive of how someone on this board might talk, not the hosts of a TV show trying to present a subject the audience is completely unfamiliar with.

Unlike Bill, I'm a big fan of the show. There is so much promotion of nonsensical, unscientfic ideas on TV today I'm all about a show that tries to dispell myths in a scientfic fashion as opposed to say, more Alien Autopsy BS. Critical thinking is in increasingly short supply these days. Anything that promotes it is OK in my book.

PS

Anyone else think its kind of wierd that we are debunking a story about a show that's about debunking myths?

<font size=1>[Edited by FITZ (11 Dec 2004).]

[Edited by FITZ (11 Dec 2004).]

#12 mattblack

mattblack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 0335 AM

My personal opinion of the Falklands/Malvinas is that while I have nothing but respect for the men who fought and died there , the whole episode to me seems akin to coming to blows over possession of a 5 lb sack of dog crap .
The premise that an American television show would pick such a minute aspect of a conflict that is unknown to most Americans should have raised some flags . On the very , very , very slight chance they might have done a special Military Myths , I could possibly see the exceptionally slight chance that they might , if they had a sympathetic Argentine producer or whatnot , examine something like the supposed repairs to Invincible but I don't see any way of testing that in an amusing for TV way either .

[Edited by mattblack (11 Dec 2004).]

#13 BillB

BillB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 0355 AM

My personal opinion of the Falklands/Malvinas is that while I have nothing but respect for the men who fought and died there , the whole episode to me seems akin to coming to blows over possession of a 5 lb sack of dog crap .
  The premise that an American television show would pick such a minute aspect of a conflict that is unknown to most Americans should have raised some flags . On the very , very , very slight chance they might have done a special Military Myths , I could possibly see the exceptionally slight chance that they might , if they had a sympathetic Argentine producer or whatnot , examine something like the supposed repairs to Invincible but I don't see any way of testing that in an amusing for TV way either . <font size=1>[Edited by mattblack (11 Dec 2004).]

Fair comment, Matt, and generally speaking I agree. However, you appear to have missed that the 5lb sack of dog crap was not the issue. The issue was one of principle, specifically unprovoked military aggression and invasion of legally held territory belonging to another sovereign state against the wishes of the local populace. Given the amount of blood and treasure you Yanks - assuming you are a Yank Posted Image - have expended on this principle on behalf of others, I thought you'd have appreciated that. Posted Image

all the best

BillB

#14 SCFalken

SCFalken

Eagerly awaiting the return of Feudalism

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,166 posts
  • Interests:Geological Engineering

Posted 11 December 2004 - 0436 AM

Argentina = Lost. Started it.
Britain = Won (group of Islands in the Middle of Bomphock, slightly used). Defending team.

Falken

#15 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,121 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 11 December 2004 - 0508 AM

the whole episode to me seems akin to coming to blows over possession of a 5 lb sack of dog crap.]

I hope the Argentines don't choose to invade Orkney on your watch Matt! Posted Image

[Edited by Chris Werb (11 Dec 2004).]

#16 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 24,121 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 11 December 2004 - 0509 AM

Originally posted by SCFalken:
Argentina = Lost. Started it.
Britain = Won (group of Islands in the Middle of Bomphock, slightly used). Defending team.

Falken

I'm not sure I'd describe Great Britain (or the UK) that way SC! Posted Image

<font size=1>[Edited by Chris Werb (11 Dec 2004).]

[Edited by Chris Werb (11 Dec 2004).]

#17 Grant Whitley

Grant Whitley

True Heart of the Aztec

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 0524 AM

Originally posted by FlyingCanOpener:

Well, a simple Google search proves otherwise...

Search "Mythbusters+Falklands" and "Mythbusters+Moody+Brook" and see what you find...

<font size=1>[Edited by FlyingCanOpener (09 Dec 2004).]

Initially, I didn't pay much attention to the "script" that King Jester posted, as I couldn't see why anyone would post a fake cable TV show script which purported to cover this topic. Well, no one this side of Puerto Argentino, anyway.

But after having read it, there are enough minor, niggling grammatical mistakes and instances of odd word usage to make me think it's a fake, given that the poster is likely not a native English speaker. Take the repeated use of "argies", for example. That's a bit of British slang that would probably be unfamiliar to most Americans. Unlikely that it would get thrown around like that on an American TV show. Previously made points about the unfamiliarity of the subject are quite valid, also.

#18 Ox

Ox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 0528 AM

It is a spoof and quite a witty one at that, can't see why anyone would think otherwise or go to the effort of trying to see if it is tru.

Nice one KJ. Posted Image

#19 SCFalken

SCFalken

Eagerly awaiting the return of Feudalism

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,166 posts
  • Interests:Geological Engineering

Posted 11 December 2004 - 0540 AM

Originally posted by Chris Werb:
I'm not sure I'd describe Great Britain (or the UK) that way SC!  Posted Image

I was speaking of the Falklands, Chris...

Falken

#20 Jim Martin

Jim Martin

Kick me! I'm not allowed to hit back!

• Members
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 0638 AM

I just did my own searching, and there is no Mythbusters episode for anything relating to the Falklands conflict.

What a maroon. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users