2469 replies to this topic

#2381 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 0828 AM

A streamlined switcher - that's the 30s for you.

#2382 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,270 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 1430 PM

A streamlined switcher - that's the 30s for you.

Not really. The driver's cab is square. But it has some streamline like rounded corners.

#2383 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,286 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 1513 PM

e4qqwlouwob31.png​

#2384 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,796 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 22 July 2019 - 2155 PM

#2385 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 53,483 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 0146 AM

e4qqwlouwob31.png​

Second loco looks like one of the Dutch locomotives we sold them  that used to operate on the Woodhead line.

#2386 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,286 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 0339 AM

Yes, they are both Dutch, sorry I really should get in the habit of adding descriptions to what I post. 

#2387 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,483 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 0351 AM

Interestingly the catenary also looks identical to the 1500V system we fitted on woodhead. I guess we played a large role in Dutch electrification postwar.

#2388 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,270 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 0510 AM

Interestingly the catenary also looks identical to the 1500V system we fitted on woodhead. I guess we played a large role in Dutch electrification postwar.

The dutch just like southern france use both 1500 kV. see this handy map off of wikipedia:

586px-Europe_rail_electrification.png

750 V DC voltage (orange)
1.5 kV DC voltage(pink)
3 kV DC voltage (yellow)
15 kV, 16.7 Hz AC voltage (slate-blue-gray)
25 kV, 50 Hz AC voltage (green)

I guess the Dublin area is metro rail?

#2389 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,483 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 0541 AM

Yeah, the French Network was ALL 1500V (where it was electrified anyway), till they nicked/liberated the 25AC system postwar from a line where it was under test in Germany. Or at least, so ive read.

Yeah probably. Looks like it includes Merseyrail and the Newcastle metro system as well.

Not sure why they dont include scotland? There are significant lines there that are 25AC, as well as the Glasgow underground system which would be I guess 1500v.

#2390 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,270 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 0601 AM

Yeah, the French Network was ALL 1500V (where it was electrified anyway), till they nicked/liberated the 25AC system postwar from a line where it was under test in Germany. Or at least, so ive read.

Yeah probably. Looks like it includes Merseyrail and the Newcastle metro system as well.

Not sure why they dont include scotland? There are significant lines there that are 25AC, as well as the Glasgow underground system which would be I guess 1500v.

Considering that much ofnthe english rail network is still not electrified, the maker of the map should have included Scotland as well. The mapmaker probabaly did not have all information. But as a general overview of europe and its different electrification it seems good enough. hence locos like the bombardier EUrotraxx and the siemens Eurosprinter have been developed, that can drive verywhere in europe as long as the rail gauge fits.

small local railways have all manner of differrent electrification, but it makes not too much sense to list all the small mining rails, subways, citiy rails etc., because they are isolated. Berlin e.g. uses one DC and one AC system in its metro, because those used to be two different rail companies that were later fusioned to the current operator. The tram lines in Berlin use a third system.

Edited by Panzermann, 23 July 2019 - 0605 AM.

#2391 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,286 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 1757 PM

I took this screen shot from a vid on facebook. Translation said "Fast Rail Belgrade-Budapest, test drive"

16i3uHH.png​

#2392 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 1827 PM

A few remarks.

Not all of France was electrified with 1,500 Volt DC, they had a mix because the electrification had been done before the nationalisation.

The Dutch locomotive looks rather German.

Germany didn't test 25 AC. We had committed to 16 1/3 shortly after 1900. 25 AC wasn't viable until after the war.

#2393 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,270 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 1851 PM

A few remarks.

Not all of France was electrified with 1,500 Volt DC, they had a mix because the electrification had been done before the nationalisation.

Germany didn't test 25 AC. We had committed to 16 1/3 shortly after 1900. 25 AC wasn't viable until after the war.

The steam loco is a german type. The cars being pulled look like an old Bundesbahn pattern paint job. But that electric locomotive looks not very german to me.

#2394 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 1948 PM

Correct, I didn't notice the electric one. The looker gets pushed.

#2395 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,921 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 23 July 2019 - 2003 PM

A few remarks.

Nitpicking me could not let that defacing of the most weird power frequency without an answer: 16.67Hz.

In Spain we had mainline voltages of 1.5kV DC, and 3kV DC. The HS lines were electrified at 25kV AC. Then there are the metros, with a curious mix of voltages, from 600V DC in Metro Madrid to the -1.2kV DC, 1.2kV DC, and 1.5kV DC used in Metro Barcelona. Metro Bilbao uses 1,650kV DC, and some parts of Metro Valencia use 25kV.

#2396 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 2104 PM

Correct again. 16.67Hz or 16 and 2/3 was the closest one could get to 50 Herz electric motors at the time.

#2397 sunday

sunday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,921 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 2205 PM

Correct again. 16.67Hz or 16 and 2/3 was the closest one could get to 50 Herz electric motors at the time.

As my instructor on electric traction systems, with that frequency one still could use high voltage in the catenary and a transformer with taps to vary the voltage across the electric motor, which was of the universal type, i.e., a series-excited DC motor that could also work in AC. High power universal motors have problems with high line frequencies, so the reduction to 16.67Hz.

#2398 Leo Niehorster

Leo Niehorster

Meow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Interests:Military History

Posted 23 July 2019 - 2338 PM

I take it that is why the locomotives are changed at the German-Dutch borders?

#2399 Anixtu

Anixtu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 0203 AM

Scotland is coloured green as far as the Antonine Wall or thereabouts, which is fairly accurate. Electrification is limited to parts of the central belt and East and West Coast Main Lines south of Glasgow and Edinburgh. They've accidentally left the Western and Northern Isles coloured green too.

Glasgow Subway is 600V DC, converted from cable hauled.

#2400 sunday

sunday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,921 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 0205 AM

I take it that is why the locomotives are changed at the German-Dutch borders?

It could be because of incompatible signalling systems, also, but it is not rare that railway personnel's union demands also had something to do with that.

I think there is an ICE-3 sub series of EMUs able to run in the Netherlands, Belgium, and France.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users