Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,336 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 20 January 2019 - 0138 AM

Well then.

e606c49824d35fe5ab511b0676bcedb2--image-

I'll grant you, there was no need for the Klingons to look like Uruk Hai and the mushroom drive was... different. Who doesn't like an alien threesome though?

:lol:

#22 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 53,420 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 0348 AM

I read the first Babylon Berlin with an open mind, and it really was a good piece of work. It kind of reminded me of Martin Cruz Smith's Gorky Park actually.

Ive yet to see the TV series, but I note from wiki they included elements like the lead actress, whilst working as a police stenographer was also doing overtime as a prostitute. Which is completely contrary to the character as in the book  whom is morally principled yet not strait laced. Ill probably watch it regardless, but if they have taken that far leave of the books, im not quite sure if its going to be worth the effort.

#23 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,253 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 1416 PM

I read the first Babylon Berlin with an open mind, and it really was a good piece of work. It kind of reminded me of Martin Cruz Smith's Gorky Park actually.

Ive yet to see the TV series, but I note from wiki they included elements like the lead actress, whilst working as a police stenographer was also doing overtime as a prostitute. Which is completely contrary to the character as in the book whom is morally principled yet not strait laced. Ill probably watch it regardless, but if they have taken that far leave of the books, im not quite sure if its going to be worth the effort.

I watched a few episodes, but it seemed over crowded with things happeneing to me. As Banshee1 has pointed out, it took a lot from all across the books and crammed it into the first season. I don't know if I am going back to it.

Punisher. S2, E1.
Frank dials bar-fights up to 12.
Starts off right after S1 ending, and delivers. :)

Have seen the first few episodes so far. I think there is a gap of several months between the seasons,

Spoiler

Edited by Panzermann, 20 January 2019 - 1420 PM.

#24 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 1429 PM

Yes true, becomes apparent when we first meet Russo in S2.

#25 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,042 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 21 January 2019 - 0942 AM

New season of the Grand Tour is out.  They've dropped the car reviews in order to focus more on Clarkson and the boys stunts and road trips.  We've only watched the first episode of the season and it was fairly decent.

#26 NickM

NickM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,138 posts
  • Interests:Military history, computer sims, my daughter

Posted 25 January 2019 - 2303 PM

Well, we were afraid Season 2 of The Punisher was going to be 'woke' or PC in some way, but clearly it's not:

Yeah, surely Frank Castle is all about giving wymmyns their rights--AND their lefts.

#27 toysoldier

toysoldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,129 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi, history, gameplay

Posted 25 January 2019 - 2322 PM

Actually the ladies gave him a run for his money. He won, he's The Punisher after all, but those chick were no chicken. Pretty realistic too.

#28 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,420 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 0303 AM

Well, we were afraid Season 2 of The Punisher was going to be 'woke' or PC in some way, but clearly it's not:

Yeah, surely Frank Castle is all about giving wymmyns their rights--AND their lefts.

Im I right in thinking this isnt a comedy? ^_^

#29 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,420 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 0314 AM

Some hint's here about the 5th series of Peaky Blinders. Tommy supposedly becomes a Labour MP, but someone tries to kill him with a Car Bomb.

https://www.dailymai...new-season.html

It looks like that it wont wrap at the end of Series 5 as we thought, but there will be another 2 series after that, so it looks like they might be bringing it up to the outbreak of WW2.

#30 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,253 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 1814 PM

If you like zombies in your joseon period K-drama there is now "Kingdom" on Netflix. The title is not the most creative, but it is a really interesting take on the zombie plague. Patient zero is

Spoiler

The characters are all played straight as if reacting to actual  occurrences instead of your usual silly humouristic take in zombie movies.

Edited by Panzermann, 28 January 2019 - 1815 PM.

#31 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,575 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary armor - tactics and technology

Posted 28 January 2019 - 1854 PM

If you like it straight, try Train to Busan.

#32 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,703 posts
  • Interests:Ducats and shot

Posted 30 January 2019 - 1418 PM

Finished Narcos:Mexico. The theme of it this season of the show would be "heavy is the head that wears the crown." of all the crime dramas I have seen, I have never seen a crime boss be so stressed out. Props to Diego Luna for his acting.

Also finally saw season 2 of American Crime story and I think it nearly tops the first season. 2nd season is less procedural and gets more into characters. It also was more psychologically disturbing, especially witnessing Cunanan's full-tilt narcissism and where it came from. The second to last ep takes a microscope to his upbringing, depicting his egotistical father who spoiled him into the monster he became. Parents, tell your kids "no" for God's sake. All this talk of school shooters being bullied, when in reality a lot are indulged into pathology.

#33 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 0443 AM

Finished Punisher a few days back, and while I like it, I am a bit annoyed how violence and (non)consequences are handled.
Basically, if you are not killed, you are good to go within hours no matter damage sustained.

I know it is tv, fictional etc, but if you go through the lenghts of showing graphic violence with realistic (?) wounds, you should not let them heal this quickly.

#34 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,420 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 0437 AM

Just been listening to an interesting podcast that is about a tv series on netflix called 'Murder Mountain'. It looks pretty interesting.

#35 NickM

NickM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 2251 PM

Just been listening to an interesting podcast that is about a tv series on netflix called 'Murder Mountain'. It looks pretty interesting.

What?! Humboldt, Del Norte & Mendocino counties? I thought it was all mellow hippy pothead paradise, what with 'rope' being 'legal' and all...though I had heard stories in the past about the growers trying to 'poach' one another's product and all that. Crap like boobytraps, punji stakes, IEDs...

Though I have to wonder about this whole 'medical marijuana' thing; MIchael Savage once made a rude comment probably at least a decade ago how a 'crooked' doctor would write you a prescription because of practically any reason you could want--period cramps; constipation; loose stools; gluttony, dysphagia etc.

Edited by NickM, 04 February 2019 - 2259 PM.

#36 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,420 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 0308 AM

If you find that interesting, there is a really good podcast about it, from the producer of the documentary.

https://art19.com/sh...bf-7b8839e14730

Sounds like a real interesting place to visit, if you can look past all the PTSD M16 toting Vietnam Veterans who think you are Victor Charlie, and the Easy Rider Hipsters who figure they may as well shoot 'The Man' before he shoots them. It sounds like a place Hunter S Thompson should have retired to.

Beautiful part of the world it has to be said, even with all the burned out camper vans.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 05 February 2019 - 0313 AM.

#37 NickM

NickM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 2016 PM

If you find that interesting, there is a really good podcast about it, from the producer of the documentary.

https://art19.com/sh...bf-7b8839e14730

Sounds like a real interesting place to visit, if you can look past all the PTSD M16 toting Vietnam Veterans who think you are Victor Charlie, and the Easy Rider Hipsters who figure they may as well shoot 'The Man' before he shoots them. It sounds like a place Hunter S Thompson should have retired to.

Beautiful part of the world it has to be said, even with all the burned out camper vans.

I think the story of all those M16 toting 'Nam Vets' turned out to be a rather exaggerated.

I am more interested in those crooked docs and the impact Their 'corruption' had on healthcare

#38 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,042 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 2144 PM

After Colorado passed medical marijuana the state quickly led the nation in the incidence of generalized non-specific lower back pain in the 18-36 year old males.

#39 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,420 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 0322 AM

Yeah, funnily enough I woke up with a back pain this morning. :D

Yeah, im sure the Vietnam vets thing is exaggerated, they way they were talking they make it sound like the movie Southern Comfort. I have to admit though, i find these fringe communities in the US very interesting. Ive been a fan of the moonshiners show, and Ive found documentaries about Ruby Ridge fairly insightful too. These people seem to carry the torch of the American pioneer spirit, whatever transgressions they might make.

We are having a major issue about medicinal marijuana here in the UK. There is no prospect of it being legalized but there is a major debate about medicine being distilled from it to help children that suffer from fits. The Government, commendably, is pushing the medical community to procure it, but the medical community is dragging their heels, suggesting there is no evidence of any medicinal qualities of it. Despite several decades worth of studies in the US proving the contary.

#40 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,042 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 1225 PM

There aren't really all that many actual scientific studies of medical marijuana here in the states either.  Because under federal law it is considered a dangerous drug with no redeeming use, getting permission to conduct any serious study of its usefulness to treat anything is nearly impossible.  What we do have are a lot of anecdotes about how it has dramatically helped some condition or another.  Until Federal law is changed research will remain blocked.

Edited by Harold Jones, 06 February 2019 - 1225 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users