118 replies to this topic

#41 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,844 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 1326 PM

The Grand Tour has resumed and in episode four they test modern European pickups in a post revolutionary environment. The shot they took at international aid organisations was priceless. Ep 1 in the depopulated Detroit was very good too and the Columbia special(ep 2 and 3) had some rather surprising wildlife in it.

#42 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 0232 AM

Counterpart season 2 started out slow, and I did not remember exactly who was in which dimension.
But it has picked up speed, and is definately worth watching (I'm currently on ep.6).

eta: e6 of s2 is one of the better sci-fi episodes I have seen in a very long time.

Edited by Stefan Fredriksson, 09 February 2019 - 1353 PM.

#43 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,090 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 09 February 2019 - 0424 AM

Midsomer Murders is coming back for it's 20th season.  It will be good to see some new old fashioned country killings again.

#44 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,616 posts
  • Interests:sleeping

Posted 11 February 2019 - 0656 AM

CMs for a drama this early year.

#45 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,416 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 0735 AM

Midsomer Murders is coming back for it's 20th season.  It will be good to see some new old fashioned country killings again.

Its been going downhill since the murder by Vickers Machine Gun IMHO. Nothing could much touch that. Although Death by Abbot was a close second.

#46 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,416 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 1110 AM

https://deadline.com...tca-1202552863/

The Huntsman: Winter’s War’s Craig Mazin, who wrote and exec produced the drama, said, “We want to be as accurate as we can be. We never changed anything to make it more dramatic or to hype it up. The last thing we wanted to do is fall in to the same trap that liars fall into,” he said, speaking Friday at TCA.

Chernobyl, the first production under HBO and Sky’s fledgling drama partnership, stars The Crown‘s Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgård (Avengers: Age of Ultron) and Emily Watson (The Dresser).

It dramatizes the true story of one of the worst man-made catastrophes in history and tells of the brave men and women who sacrificed to save Europe from unimaginable disaster. The miniseries focuses on the heartbreaking scope of the nuclear accident that occurred in Ukraine in April 1986, revealing how and why it happened and telling the shocking, remarkable stories of the heroes who fought and fell.

Harris plays Valery Legasov, the Soviet scientist chosen by the Kremlin to investigate the accident; Skarsgård plays Boris Shcherbina; the deputy chairman of the Council of Ministers and head of the USSR’s Bureau for Fuel and Energy; and Watson plays Ulana Khomyuk, a Soviet nuclear physicist committed to solving the scientific mystery of what led to the disaster at Chernobyl, so that it can be prevented from ever happening again.

The show is produced by Jane Featherstone’s Sister Pictures in association with Mighty Mint with Game of Thrones exec producer Carolyn Strauss executive producing. Mazin told Deadline that as a European story, it was important to have a producer like Broadchurch producer Featherstone on board.

“From a creative point of view, for me and for Carolyn Strauss, we knew we needed a European partner, we were telling a European story. Carolyn said we need a Jane Featherstone type and we figured Jane Featherstone would be the best Jane Featherstone type and we sent her the script and she was really excited about it. We immediately fell in love with her, she was very much the third part of our triumvirate. She has a wonderful team that works for me and has been invaluable.”

Kary Antholis, president of HBO Miniseries, said that Chernobyl was one of the “most compelling” pitches he’d heard in his 25 years in TV.

“[Craig Mazin said] ‘You think you know what happened at Chernobyl, but you have no idea’. Simple question: everybody knows it exploded but no one asks why. Chernobyl will be a horror movie, it will be a war movie, it will be a political thriller and a courtroom drama. You know how bad you think Chernobyl was? It was hours away from being much worse. The miniseries is everything Craig promised.”

#47 toysoldier

toysoldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,129 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi, history, gameplay

Posted 11 February 2019 - 1943 PM

It dramatizes the true story of one of the worst man-made catastrophes in history and tells of the brave men and women who sacrificed to save Europe from unimaginable disaster. The miniseries focuses on the heartbreaking scope of the nuclear accident that occurred in Ukraine in April 1986, revealing how and why it happened and telling the shocking, remarkable stories of the heroes who fought and fell.

Oh crap, Roman's gonna have a conniption with this bout of evil western propaganda... prepare for a barrage of Vesti vids. 

#48 toysoldier

toysoldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,129 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi, history, gameplay

Posted 11 February 2019 - 1951 PM

BTW, watching "One Strange Rock" in Netflix is watching how Chris Hadfield steals the show from Will Smith :D best part is knowing Hadfield is not scripted.

#49 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,416 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 0334 AM

Oh crap, Roman's gonna have a conniption with this bout of evil western propaganda... prepare for a barrage of Vesti vids. 

Its got Emily Watson in it as well. Western propaganda and classy crumpet. :wub:

#50 bd1

bd1

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 1230 PM

one of my favourite books, ever

#51 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,246 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 1344 PM

first I thought, please no.

But with Tennant as Crowley and Micheal sheen as Azi(something) could just work.

#52 bd1

bd1

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 1413 PM

well, pratchett  seems to be cursed in TV/movie adaptation sense, but gaiman´s american gods s1 was excellent, so combining this i´m moderately optimistic

#53 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,246 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 1425 PM

well, pratchett  seems to be cursed in TV/movie adaptation sense, but gaiman´s american gods s1 was excellent, so combining this i´m moderately optimistic

american gods was probably the reason amazon picked this up. Wasn't an adaption of Anansi Boys planned as well?

cursed pratchett adaptions? Going postal and the colurs of magic were pretty good imho within the limits of televison.

#54 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,760 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 1814 PM

PBS is showing 'The Dictator's Playbook'. http://www.hddocumen...manuel-noriega/

#55 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 1310 PM

"The Umbrella Academy"
At first I thought I had had my dose of super-persons, but this is - if not great - at least many levels better than...

..."Nightflyers".
Apparently "Expanse" has been dropped, and this is the new sci-fi from Syfy. I managed first episode with effort, but no, this appears to be a mess not worth watching.

#56 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,041 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 22 February 2019 - 1622 PM

Expanse was picked up by Amazon and season 4 should be out sometime this year.  I believe they just finished production on it.

#57 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 0348 AM

That was good news.

#58 Mobius

Mobius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,745 posts
  • Interests:wargamming
    programming
    ballistics
    3D game development

Posted 27 February 2019 - 1855 PM

I'm really loving the Orville.  Makes up for all the Star Wars and StarTrek movie fails.

#59 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,041 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 27 February 2019 - 1921 PM

It took a few episodes but I ended up liking it a lot.  

#60 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 0243 AM

Netflix' "Losers".
Absolutely wonderful feelgood-series about more or lesser known sportspersons.
First three episodes are about boxer Michael Bentt, football-team Torquay United and skater Surya Bonaly.
I really can't get enough of this one. Must see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users