• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Inhapi

Inhapi

Wielder of the Unicorn Hat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, warships, polar exploration, ancient history,astronomy and space exploration,Ancient Egypt, harpsichords, Baroque and Classisist music, buying far too many books.

Posted 20 May 2018 - 1633 PM

Hello all,

New tank chat from Bovington: Ha-Go

Edited by Inhapi, 20 May 2018 - 1633 PM.

#2 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 2030 PM

A one man turret? We need to get a certain someone inside once they got the asbestos out.

#3 JasonJ

JasonJ

majideyabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,966 posts
  • Interests:Being odd and unusual.

Posted 20 May 2018 - 2147 PM

He admitted that the camo is not correct. It felt like they are starting to get interested in putting some time into making it more presentable. Now the question is whether or not someone can do the mental gymnastics to include it into their top 5 tank list for the museum, a challenge even for me :)

#4 Inhapi

Inhapi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, warships, polar exploration, ancient history,astronomy and space exploration,Ancient Egypt, harpsichords, Baroque and Classisist music, buying far too many books.

Posted 20 May 2018 - 2212 PM

A one man turret? We need to get a certain someone inside once they got the asbestos out.

With the gun pointing forward and the machine gun pointing more or less rearward, I guess the life of the tank commander/loader/gunner/machine gunner might have been even more interesting than in the French one man turrets.

#5 Inhapi

Inhapi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 2214 PM

He admitted that the camo is not correct. It felt like they are starting to get interested in putting some time into making it more presentable. Now the question is whether or not someone can do the mental gymnastics to include it into their top 5 tank list for the museum, a challenge even for me :)

In term of cuteness, i rate it very highly...  :-)  "but then, i'm a bit mental"  :-)

#6 JasonJ

JasonJ

majideyabai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,966 posts
  • Interests:Being odd and unusual.

Posted 20 May 2018 - 2224 PM

In term of cuteness, i rate it very highly...  :-)  "but then, i'm a bit mental"  :-)

Who here isn't mental :) It's successor design, the Ke-Ni is quite cute too. But the cutest one IMO is the Te-Ke.

#7 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,118 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 1352 PM

The Ha-Go is on fire! Escape from the driver's hatch! :lol:

With the gun pointing forward and the machine gun pointing more or less rearward, I guess the life of the tank commander/loader/gunner/machine gunner might have been even more interesting than in the French one man turrets.

IMHO not really. if needed they just rotated the turret around. One advantage having paper thin armour plates: the turret is easier to move. Also the machine gun is maybe easier to load, because the cannon is not in the way and vice versa. Looked at it that way it is not that dumb an idea. OTOH it takes time to switch between them and move the turret..

But the comparison to the M3 Stuart is wrong in my humble opinion. Not enough machine guns on the Ha-Go. :D

Edited by Panzermann, 21 May 2018 - 1353 PM.

#8 Inhapi

Inhapi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 0537 AM

The Ha-Go is on fire! Escape from the driver's hatch! :lol:

IMHO not really. if needed they just rotated the turret around. One advantage having paper thin armour plates: the turret is easier to move. Also the machine gun is maybe easier to load, because the cannon is not in the way and vice versa. Looked at it that way it is not that dumb an idea. OTOH it takes time to switch between them and move the turret..

But the comparison to the M3 Stuart is wrong in my humble opinion. Not enough machine guns on the Ha-Go. :D

mmmm, I'm trying to imagine how this works: the TC says: "oh some infantry to shoot up, I think i won't use the HE but the MG." He pulls back from the visor turns around the turret (while shuffling around on the fixed floor with an drive shaft on it), the he has to find his target again, take the MG, point it in its mount and then he can fire...."but wait....i need the gun now"...Nah, I wouln'd not want to be in his position.  (but then, i would not want to be in a tank in combat anyway :-) )

Also the MG to the back of his head is another nice pointy sharp thing to bang his head/body on, now you have two narrower things sticking into the turret in stead of one......   I would love to see Nick in such a turret doing a "Help i need the machine gun".  :-)

But you are right: the solution is simple, for a simple vehicle: no need to develop a complicated mount taking the two guns. And i guess you can better "spray and pray" with the MG in a more flexible mount.

Edited by Inhapi, 22 May 2018 - 0542 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users