261 replies to this topic

#201 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58,275 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 0714 AM

I’m offended by the disrespect shown his grandmother more than anything else.   Despite the fact that she is all about herself and no one else.

Which "she"? QE2? Meghan?

and agree on the disrespect to his grandmother and family in general to break it to them this way.

I like(d) Harry since he and William both seem “real” compared to Charles.

Charles always came across as a quirky uncle with weird hobbies. Well, he has been king-in-waiting all his life and chances are he might even never become one.

No, the Queen is becoming increasingly frail. I dont think she has got much longer left.

I cant see Charles getting more than 2 decades tops though.

#202 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,871 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 0854 AM

I think she will dump him when he is no longer "monetizable" or somehow is seen as advancing HER career.

She essentially had no career.  Her greatest claim to fame was as eye candy love interest for one of the protagonists on a TV series relatively few people watched.

After she divorces the Royal Formerly Known As Prince, she will be primed to make millions on some "reality" TV show. Ex-Wives Club or something.

#203 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,871 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 0906 AM

image018-copy-2-1.jpg

#204 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 1346 PM

Harry is probably going to be able to handle the press unleashed better than Meghan, whether in Canada or anywhere else in the world they travel to.

There are photographers who will make their living on staking out the ex royal couple for the next 15 years.

#205 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 20,115 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 1739 PM

I’m offended by the disrespect shown his grandmother more than anything else.   Despite the fact that she is all about herself and no one else.

Which "she"? QE2? Meghan?

and agree on the disrespect to his grandmother and family in general to break it to them this way.

I like(d) Harry since he and William both seem “real” compared to Charles.

Charles always came across as a quirky uncle with weird hobbies. Well, he has been king-in-waiting all his life and chances are he might even never become one.

Meghan

#206 Jeff

Jeff

Godfather of Tanknet Birthday Greetings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,609 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 1829 PM

The guy came home from Afghanistan in a C17 with a guy mutilated for life, and it made a lasting impression. He has spent most of the past 10 years drawing attention to and helping those servicemen. Before that he was open about battles with his mental health, mostly dating from being dragged in front of a ravenous media to bury his mother. Yes, he lives in reality, and I suspect not a nice one for all his privilege.

Harry has flaws, but he has lived and he knows reality. Lets not take dislike of his Mrs (and I share many of the concerns) into character assasination. It's no better than what our media has been doing to the Royal family for decades.

I respect your opinion Jeff, always. Kindly show the same respect. I may be many things, but ignorant I'm not.

Then why do you routinely not read what people write? I said he is a decent man and that is precisely why he was targeted by her. I said nothing about his mental health, only hers. But when this disaster finally falls apart, he will have to come to grips with the part he played in it. He allowed her to separate him from his family, his friends and his responsibilities. He will have ignored countless people telling him he's being a fool. The hardest thing he will have to learn is to walk away from a train wreck he can do nothing about no matter how well intentioned he is and no matter how hard he tries to "make it better". He's a good man who is having his best traits used as weapons against him. That's a mighty bitter pill to swallow once reality finally hits him in the face hard enough to realize what he's put up with. I feel a huge amount of sorrow for him even if I want to smack him upside the head and scream "Wake up!"

Research Borderline Personality Disorder, particularly the comments of those who've walked in Harry's shoes. It will be a road map for what has and what will happen to the guy. It's enough to make you cry. BTDT, I know exactly what he's experiencing and just how ugly it will get for him. I hope he wakes up in time to tell the Queen he's sorry and for her to see her grandson escape the nightmare. If it happens afterwards, he'll regret it the rest of his life.

#207 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 20,115 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 1849 PM

I really feel sorry for him, and HM.

#208 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,956 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 0934 AM

No, the Queen is becoming increasingly frail. I dont think she has got much longer left.

I cant see Charles getting more than 2 decades tops though.

Charles is not the youngest one either. It might happen htat he dies before his mother. I do not wish it to him or his family, but the probability is there. So I should have written probability.

The guy came home from Afghanistan in a C17 with a guy mutilated for life, and it made a lasting impression. He has spent most of the past 10 years drawing attention to and helping those servicemen. Before that he was open about battles with his mental health, mostly dating from being dragged in front of a ravenous media to bury his mother. Yes, he lives in reality, and I suspect not a nice one for all his privilege.

Harry has flaws, but he has lived and he knows reality. Lets not take dislike of his Mrs (and I share many of the concerns) into character assasination. It's no better than what our media has been doing to the Royal family for decades.

I respect your opinion Jeff, always. Kindly show the same respect. I may be many things, but ignorant I'm not.

Then why do you routinely not read what people write? I said he is a decent man and that is precisely why he was targeted by her. I said nothing about his mental health, only hers. But when this disaster finally falls apart, he will have to come to grips with the part he played in it. He allowed her to separate him from his family, his friends and his responsibilities. He will have ignored countless people telling him he's being a fool. The hardest thing he will have to learn is to walk away from a train wreck he can do nothing about no matter how well intentioned he is and no matter how hard he tries to "make it better". He's a good man who is having his best traits used as weapons against him. That's a mighty bitter pill to swallow once reality finally hits him in the face hard enough to realize what he's put up with. I feel a huge amount of sorrow for him even if I want to smack him upside the head and scream "Wake up!"

Research Borderline Personality Disorder, particularly the comments of those who've walked in Harry's shoes. It will be a road map for what has and what will happen to the guy. It's enough to make you cry. BTDT, I know exactly what he's experiencing and just how ugly it will get for him. I hope he wakes up in time to tell the Queen he's sorry and for her to see her grandson escape the nightmare. If it happens afterwards, he'll regret it the rest of his life.

I have luckily had only a short few month relationship with a girl that was like that, but  even in that short timeframe  it was bad. Suddenly your life centres around this one person and much much more than usual when newly in love. But wehen in it you do not really notice it.

#209 Jeff

Jeff

Godfather of Tanknet Birthday Greetings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,609 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 1338 PM

I have luckily had only a short few month relationship with a girl that was like that, but  even in that short timeframe  it was bad. Suddenly your life centres around this one person and much much more than usual when newly in love. But wehen in it you do not really notice it.

Indeed, you were lucky and smart enough to get out. I wasted 5 years in it and even then I thank God we never got married and had children, then you can never quite get away from it. The hardest lesson I had to learn was to walk away completely, that I couldn't "save" her, only save myself. I couldn't even hate her as she couldn't stop being the person she was, just a lot of pity for someone who would spend her life leaving a trail of human wreckage behind her. Harry is a good person who's going to pay a huge price for being a good person who met the wrong person. Very sad and he's going to do it in front of the whole world, humiliating.

#210 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 1641 PM

De-royalization would theoretically reduce the stigma of divorce for Harry, should he ever want that. Meghan's status as a divorcee would as well.

I had not seen increasing signs of Her Majesty's frailness, probably because she does not make it into the news as often in front of me. Sorry to hear, as she seems to be the main reason the entire thing remains respected.

#211 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 26,385 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 1659 PM

He can always give away all his possessions and money and get a job in some factory. Media would forget him in the 6 months.

So would Meghan.

#212 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,211 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 1844 PM

I agree, but he was complaining about media attention.

#213 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 58,275 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 0614 AM

De-royalization would theoretically reduce the stigma of divorce for Harry, should he ever want that. Meghan's status as a divorcee would as well.

I had not seen increasing signs of Her Majesty's frailness, probably because she does not make it into the news as often in front of me. Sorry to hear, as she seems to be the main reason the entire thing remains respected.

She used to wear the crown in the opening of parliament, which she has not done for the past few years. Well she is in her 90's now, soo....

#214 R011

R011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,214 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 2353 PM

What stigma? Three out of the Queen's four kids have gotten divorced and it's 2020 not 1936.

#215 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,605 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 0233 AM

I cannot see Meghan as having anything except the very mildest if any of BPD.  We would have heard about it by now from more than one ex.  People with BPD have a very difficult time maintaining relationships of even months in length.

#216 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,871 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 0739 AM

Depends on the treatment portfolio. I was involved with a woman for about two years who was bipolar. She was fine as long as she was on her meds. The real problem was that she was too much steeped in the limousine liberal mindset; every time the NYT ran an opinion piece asserting that conservatives were racists, the facade peeled away and she would go off on the subject for days.

#217 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,956 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 0748 AM

So sorta like the average TankNetter, just on the left? :D

#218 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,933 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 1138 AM

I'm sure the only real common med here is a good beer with dinner.  Perhaps a glass of scotch or a small serving of port. 

Edited by rmgill, 28 January 2020 - 1139 AM.

#219 Adam Peter

Adam Peter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 1404 PM

A  twist in the myth

HARRY and Meghan were offered the freedom to live without Duke and Duchess titles before their £23million royal wedding, sources say.

The Queen hoped it would smooth Meghan’s transition into The Firm and allow her to carry on acting.

A source said: “From the early days, the Queen really wanted to agree a smooth transition for Meghan.

"The offer would have allowed her to carry on her career but she was happy to stop acting to become a working member of the royal family.

“Royal officials were frustrated that she and Harry now appear to be saying they were pressured into quitting royal life.”

The historic split was announced through statements from The Queen and Buckingham Palace last Saturday.

#220 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,956 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 1423 PM

Ah yes.

Opinion

There's a reason why the royals are demonised. But you won't read all about it

Alan Rusbridger

Who really knows what is going on with Harry and Meghan? But we can be sure the storytellers, the press, are hardly disinterested observers

Sun 19 Jan 2020 08.30 GMT

[...]

The third level is the storytellers. Almost everything we think we know about this couple is filtered through journalists. It is unusually difficult to judge the reliability of most royal reporting because it is a world almost devoid of open or named sources. So, in order to believe what were being told, we have to take it on trust that there are currently legions of "aides", "palace insiders", "friend" and "senior courtiers" constantly WhatsApping their favourite reporters with the latest gossip. It has been known to happen. Maybe they are, maybe they arent. We just dont know.

But trust in this third dimension is further compromised by the fact that none of the major players filtering this story for our consumption is exactly a disinterested bystander. All three of the major newspaper groups most obsessed with Harry and Meghan are themselves being sued by the couple for assorted breaches of privacy and copyright. There is, to any reasonable eyes, a glaring conflict of interest that, for the most part, goes undeclared.

For some years now - largely unreported - two chancery court judges have been dealing with literally hundreds of cases of phone hacking against MGN Ltd and News Group, the owners, respectively, of the Daily Mirror and the Sun (as well as the defunct News of the World).

[...]