Is The Rheinmetall Dm 63 A Du Round?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 On the way

On the way

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Interests:Why the hell did the French stop making that tracked sports car with the pirated German canon? Point me to the tank races.

Posted 12 March 2018 - 0803 AM

Also, secondary question to this. Is this the best 120mm round out there? Does IMI or GD make a better APFSDS round?. How much to they cost versus other 120mm ammo?

#2 methos

methos

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 0825 AM

Is it DU? No.

Is this the best round out there? Performance data is classified.

#3 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,650 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 1114 AM

The public statement regarding DM63 was that the difference between it and DM53 was IM and reduced temperature related performance variation.

My dpeculation: if you reduce variation in this way, you can load propellant to take into account that you're less likely to overload the gun whilst still maintaining your margins. This might translate into an otherwise identical round having a marginal performance increase at "normal" temperatures. Apart from that, it's not newer tham M829A4, and there is no reason to suggest that it has some magic unavailable to US designers, as far as I am aware.

#4 On the way

On the way

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Interests:Why the hell did the French stop making that tracked sports car with the pirated German canon? Point me to the tank races.

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0130 AM

Ok, thanks for the info everyone.

#5 Wiedzmin

Wiedzmin

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 0953 AM

Dm53 have same penetration as dm43 iirc, but optimized to work against heavy ERA

#6 Mighty_Zuk

Mighty_Zuk

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 0647 AM

Also, secondary question to this. Is this the best 120mm round out there? Does IMI or GD make a better APFSDS round?. How much to they cost versus other 120mm ammo?

Mostly Tungsten, not DU. The only DU APFSDS are US, French, and Russian. AFAIK Russian APFSDS can be either DU or Tungsten. 

IMI have a very long partnership with Rheinmetall so I assume they make the same APFSDS. For example, the DM23 was the IMI M111, and the recent M426 105mm APFSDS is a DM-63 variant. So there's a co-development between these two.

And ATK's rounds are only different by using DU. Other than that, more or less the same technology is available to them both.

#7 urbanoid

urbanoid

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 0649 AM

What about UK, China and Pakistan? Don't they have DU rounds as well?

EDIT: and the Juice maybe?

Edited by urbanoid, 14 March 2018 - 0651 AM.

#8 methos

methos

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 0825 AM

IMI have a very long partnership with Rheinmetall so I assume they make the same APFSDS. For example, the DM23 was the IMI M111, and the recent M426 105mm APFSDS is a DM-63 variant. So there's a co-development between these two.

No. 105 mm ammo (DM23 - DM63 for the Leopard 1) was made by Diehl, not by Rheinmetall.

#9 Mighty_Zuk

Mighty_Zuk

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 1251 PM

No. 105 mm ammo (DM23 - DM63 for the Leopard 1) was made by Diehl, not by Rheinmetall.

You're right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users