2 replies to this topic

#1 TOW-2

TOW-2

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 1911 PM

Most of you folks here have probably at least heard of Dungeons and Dragons and many of you here passed through Fort Knox in your military career.  There's a bit of a crossover, and not the one you might be thinking of (that a segment of the military are nerds who like role-playing games :) ).

This past weekend I went to "GaryCon", a convention that is part gaming convention and part celebration of the life of Gary Gygax, arguably the creator of the hobby of table top role playing games.  At the convention there was a panel of artists who had done illustrations for TSR hobbies over the years, including Larry Elmore.  Mr. Elmore's professional art career actually began at Fort Knox, where he'd do technical drawing "walk arounds" of new or new variant armored fighting vehicles that intelligence services had only gotten a single picture from a single angle of.  So if for example, an oblique photo of a T62 was taken (his example), he would draw it from any angle they asked him to, details within reason, so it could be used in vehicle recognition and intelligence studies.

I thought that was a damn interesting anecdote!

#2 Mr King

Mr King

High Energy High Effort Poster Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 0433 AM

That is really cool. 

#3 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,886 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 15 March 2018 - 1809 PM

I will have to ask Mr Elmore of that next Dragon Con....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users