urbanoid

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,390 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 1037 AM

Yeah.

From US mission to NATO FB page:

Photo shows before and after photos of target by F-22. This was the first time the F-22 was used in a combat role.

10628342_10152814537277313_8470524929220

#42 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,268 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 1119 AM

I wonder what ordnance F-22s are cleared for at this point. I believe they only can take up to Mk83 or TMD based munitions internally. SDB was to be integrated; don't know if that happened. But very little ordnance are cleared on it.

#43 jaro

jaro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Interests:Wargames - Total War series, Steel Panthers (MBT, WW2), Jagged Alliance 1.13 ...etc

Posted 23 September 2014 - 1354 PM

werent they flying with 2x1000lb JDAM already?

#44 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,268 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 1514 PM

Mk 83 = 1000 lbs, and yes two of those or else two of the TMD family. I think SDB was in the cards, which would allow 8, but I don't know if that happened. Not sure even mk 82 was cleared, though the hole in that building doesn't look that impressive so maybe so.

#45 firefly1

firefly1

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 1633 PM

And no one notes the irony ?

#46 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • Interests:Ducats and shot

Posted 23 September 2014 - 2248 PM

AQ plotters in Syria go dark

As the Khorasan Group came closer to executing the attack, however, U.S. intelligence agencies lost track of the plotters. “We had some information on their plans that did not pan out over the summer,” one senior U.S. intelligence official told The Daily Beast. “They shut it down and went dark.”

#47 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

Powerpoint Ranger, Chairborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 0113 AM

And no one notes the irony ?

You mean the irony of being against two sides of at least four-sided conflict? :)

#48 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,248 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 0127 AM

Yeah.

From US mission to NATO FB page:

Photo shows before and after photos of target by F-22. This was the first time the F-22 was used in a combat role.

10628342_10152814537277313_8470524929220

Is that a radar generated image or infrared? 

#49 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,268 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 0837 AM

IR or some kind of EO. Radar doesn't cast shadows AFAIK.

#50 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,248 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 2057 PM

IR or some kind of EO. Radar doesn't cast shadows AFAIK.

Good catch. It is just interesting because if it was a F22 who took that using a EO sensor of some kind, I wonder how it is equipped on the aircraft. 

Edited by Mr King, 24 September 2014 - 2057 PM.

#51 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,248 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 2100 PM

Moderates 

… One of the administration’s favored moderate rebel factions, Harakat Hazm, part of the Free Syrian Army alliance and a recipient of U.S. missiles and training, issued a statement Tuesday denouncing the “external intervention” — that is, the U.S.-led bombing campaign in Syria — as “an attack on the revolution.”

The group said its main goal was toppling Assad. It is demanding “unconditional arming” of the Free Syrian Army, yet its members also acknowledge fighting alongside Al Nusra Front, the official Al Qaeda force in Syria.

http://www.latimes.c...0924-story.html

#52 firefly1

firefly1

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 0352 AM

So, did the Russian technicians at the Syrian S-400 systems get any radar fixes on the F-22s ?

#53 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,268 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 0800 AM

Do you mean S-200? I'm not aware of S-400 systems in Syria. In any case, I think the Syrians know better than to fire on US a/c regardless of whether they can track them. They have been gifted air strikes on their enemies; shooting down US a/c just opens the door to air strikes against them as well.

#54 Nikolas93TS

Nikolas93TS

Thread necromancer and obscure questions

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 1405 PM

1653360_10205110531873149_46843913472734

#55 crazyinsane105

crazyinsane105

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 1433 PM

Do you mean S-200? I'm not aware of S-400 systems in Syria. In any case, I think the Syrians know better than to fire on US a/c regardless of whether they can track them. They have been gifted air strikes on their enemies; shooting down US a/c just opens the door to air strikes against them as well.

Their radars are on, but passively tracking the aircraft.There's no reason the Syrians will try and get a lock onto any American aircraft at this point. Why try and pick a fight against the US? What purpose will that serve?

#56 firefly1

firefly1

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 1659 PM

Their radars are on, but passively tracking the aircraft.There's no reason the Syrians will try and get a lock onto any American aircraft at this point. Why try and pick a fight against the US? What purpose will that serve?

It gives  the Russians information on what radar signatures the F-22 has in "war" configuration from various angles  -  rather valuable I would have thought.

#57 crazyinsane105

crazyinsane105

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 1636 PM

It gives  the Russians information on what radar signatures the F-22 has in "war" configuration from various angles  -  rather valuable I would have thought.

I think a better question is: what Russian naval units are currently deployed in Syria? 

#58 Marcello

Marcello

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 1440 PM

Moderates 

… One of the administration’s favored moderate rebel factions, Harakat Hazm, part of the Free Syrian Army alliance and a recipient of U.S. missiles and training, issued a statement Tuesday denouncing the “external intervention” — that is, the U.S.-led bombing campaign in Syria — as “an attack on the revolution.”

The group said its main goal was toppling Assad. It is demanding “unconditional arming” of the Free Syrian Army, yet its members also acknowledge fighting alongside Al Nusra Front, the official Al Qaeda force in Syria.

http://www.latimes.c...0924-story.html

One has to wonder if they, and their fans in the West, have thought about what their lil' Al Qaeda allies will do to them once Assad is gone.

#59 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,062 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 1455 PM

The things you learn. This reminds me of the Soviet War Memorial on the western side of the Brandenburg Gate during the Cold War, but in a hot war and a lot farther from the border.

Turkey says ISIS advancing on Syria exclave

Agence France Presse

ISTANBUL: Turkey on Tuesday said Islamic State (IS) militants were advancing on a tiny exclave considered Turkish territory in northern Syria, but insisted it was still in control of the land despite reports its guards there were encircled.

The tomb of Suleyman Shah, the grandfather of the founder of the Ottoman Empire Osman I, on the Euphrates river, is Turkish territory under a 1920s treaty and still guarded by a few dozen Turkish troops.

The pro-government Yeni Safak daily had reported earlier that the 36 Turkish soldiers guarding the tomb had been overwhelmed by a group of some 1,100 IS militants.

It suggested that the troops could now be held hostage by the militants.

Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arninc acknowledged that IS militants were advancing on the tomb but played down speculation that the situation was critical.

"IS militants are now very close to the tomb but our soldiers are still on duty with their equipment," he told reporters in televised comments after a cabinet meeting in Ankara.

He did not give further details on the condition of the troops.

Turkey, a NATO member, has previously warned that it would consider an attack on Suleyman Shah as an attack on its sovereign territory to which it would respond in kind.

The tomb is located around 25 kilometres (15 miles) south of the Turkish border in northern Syria, much of which is now under the control of IS militants.

Details of Turkey's control of the tomb are kept mostly secret and it is not clear how Ankara keeps the guards resupplied or how its troops are moved in and and out for their patrol missions.

The 1921 treaty stipulating the tomb remains Turkish territory was signed between Turkey and France, which was then the colonial power in Syria.

Turkish authorities at the time recognised France's then mandate for control of Syrian territory in return for recognition of its own borders.

http://www.dailystar...x#ixzz3EpbQiexj

#60 swerve

swerve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,779 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list all, but include military, economic &technological history. And cycling.

Posted 30 September 2014 - 1530 PM

Bloody hell! I had no idea that existed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users