Type 59-16 Autoloader And Rammer?

10 replies to this topic

#1 jwduquette1

jwduquette1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 1013 AM

I noticed last night that the Type 59-16 has a rammer as an equipment option.  Will the rammer decrease drum reload time if I'm using the auto loader gun on the thing?  

#2 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 1356 PM

Yes.

#3 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,975 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 1458 PM

The 76mm does not have the penetration of the 57mm, is it worth the upgrade, considering the role of the tank?

#4 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 1626 PM

For the auto loader yes, because if you can flank somebody and dump a full magazine into them they are toast.  I kept the 57 till I got the auto loader, thought I'd run one game with it and never looked back.

#5 jwduquette1

jwduquette1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 1713 PM

Thanks

#6 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,975 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 2118 PM

Just mounted it, will give it a try, what's your ammo choice with it?

#7 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 0751 AM

I run the standard ap and a couple reloads of he.

#8 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 1226 PM

I tried the autoloader and quickly dropped it for the 57mm.  The pen on it is only 86/106 on a 5-round clip.  That's all of ~550 damage per burst in a tank that's thrown into high tier games because it's a 'scout'.  Even against the sides of rear of some high tier tanks there's no guarantee you'll pen every shot*.  The 57mm lets you stay at range using gold and gives you a higher probability of penetrating when going against the flanks and rear of higher tier tanks.

* That's why I dropped it quickly.  When I threw on the autoloader I tried playing the 59-16 like the AMX tanks.  I'd wait for an enemy to get low and swoop in and try and finish him off.  When 1-2 rounds per burst failed to pen on several occasions I went back to the 57mm (and got my Ace badge shortly thereafter).

#9 jwduquette1

jwduquette1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 0910 AM

I tried the autoloader and quickly dropped it for the 57mm.  The pen on it is only 86/106 on a 5-round clip.  That's all of ~550 damage per burst in a tank that's thrown into high tier games because it's a 'scout'.  Even against the sides of rear of some high tier tanks there's no guarantee you'll pen every shot*.  The 57mm lets you stay at range using gold and gives you a higher probability of penetrating when going against the flanks and rear of higher tier tanks.

* That's why I dropped it quickly.  When I threw on the autoloader I tried playing the 59-16 like the AMX tanks.  I'd wait for an enemy to get low and swoop in and try and finish him off.  When 1-2 rounds per burst failed to pen on several occasions I went back to the 57mm (and got my Ace badge shortly thereafter).

I can see the advantages in this approach to the tank.  The drum reload time can be a killer for an autoloader.     I came upon an overly bold Super Pershing -- isolated.  Started circling and pumping APDS into his flanks and rear.  Had him down to about 100-HPs when my drum went dry.  I was kinda screwed cause' I couldn't run as he'd just draw a bead on me and kill me with one shot.  Sooo...I had to keep circling and waiting on the autoloader.  He landed a glancing hit on me, but it was a enough to take me from 100% HPs down to about 10% HPs.  I was saved at the last second by a friendly T-44 that I had been working with.  He got the coup-de-grace in just in the nick of time.     

The auto-loader can be a mixed blessing.  

Edited by jwduquette1, 10 April 2013 - 0917 AM.

#10 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,975 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 1258 PM

I am finding it a debate, the 76mm is fairly accurate so that helps, when it does penetrate it causes more damage. Had it been less accurate I would dump it right now.

#11 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 1714 PM

I think it comes down to personal preference since neither of the choices are world beaters.  I liked the 76 and used it until I finished the tank.

Reply to this topic