19 replies to this topic

#1 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 0256 AM

OK, I may pick up the M41 again, just for kicks (getting abused by whiners is fun, yes?), some questions:

1. Gun. Why would I choose the 2nd gun (I have both unlocked)? First gun has higher rof, quicker aim. Yes, a bit less accurate, but it can fire HEAT!

2. Counterbattery. How does it work? People say "I'm gonna CB now", or ask for CB.

I have tried looking for enemy arty to light up when firing, but I rarely (never) see it. Is CB just qualified guesses? Ie, you look at a spot where arty usually sets up, then look for tracers?

3. Is there a tier-limit where you have to start shoot-and-scoot? In my limited experience, I very rarely got killed by arty (doing CB), but by scouts and stuff.

#2 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,467 posts
  • Interests:Military history in general

Posted 03 June 2013 - 0336 AM

1. Higher Alpha and bigger splash always carry the day in arty - given its dispersion and aim time. A direct hit is usually a kill in the higher tiers or you inflict big damage, a miss usually detracks the target.

2. You wait until the lights and mediums get to where arty usually is. Once it's lighted you blast away (of course you need patience for it to happen, if its happens... ;) (

3. No, once you suspect you may have been spotted, run! and avoid the obvious places, you may get killed by a savyy player.

#3 jwduquette1

jwduquette1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 0613 AM

Not an SPG guy, but on #2, I have read that some SPG drivers will CB on areas of suspected RED SPGs.  Certain maps only have a limited number of hiding places for SPGs, and all the experienced SPG drivers know these spots and will blind fire on them.  

Also regarding CB, some SPG players will apparently watch for the tracer elements of RED SPGs and tarck the shot back to the RED SPGs hiding spot.  Than dump blind fire on the location.

Just what I have read regarding CB.  Never tried either myself.  

A lot of WoT players may whine continuously about SPGs in general, but they sure like green SPGs that are good at CB.

#4 Max H

Max H

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 0627 AM

2. Counterbattery. How does it work? People say "I'm gonna CB now", or ask for CB.

I have tried looking for enemy arty to light up when firing, but I rarely (never) see it. Is CB just qualified guesses? Ie, you look at a spot where arty usually sets up, then look for tracers?

You pretty much watch likely places and hope. Watching their base when scouts get near is a given of a competent arty player, not CBing

3. Is there a tier-limit where you have to start shoot-and-scoot? In my limited experience, I very rarely got killed by arty (doing CB), but by scouts and stuff.

You certainly see more of it in higher tier, and longer reload times help you relocate between shots (nothing else to do after all). There's no hard limit on it though - generally you'll see more in arty parties, as there are more eyes watching for it and more arties to shoot

#5 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,719 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 03 June 2013 - 0638 AM

I only CB looking for tracers in games with 3+ arties by side. The reasons are multiple:

1. In some maps (e.g. Port*, Artic Region) there are limited good places** to put arty, so if there is a lot of SPG, one or two will be in one. If some got in bad arty places, they can not contribute significantly to the game, so it is like they were AFK.

2. Killing one or two enemy arties at game beginning make many arty players nervous, and they have to move, relocate, seek not so good spots, etc., so that one or two killings will suppress enemy arty.

3. With large number of arties per team, the other vehicles are more reluctant to put themselves in artillery beaten areas, so the arty driver has less targets, or none, to aim to, so it makes sense spending time looking for tracers.

4. In games with one or two arties per side looking for tracers has very little return, as if you are looking for tracers you are not damaging enemy tanks, tanks that are less afraid of one or two arties, and so more eager to move to arty beaten places in order to damage your team.

Of course, if they remove arty tracers in 8.6, this discussion is merely theoretical. :D But if playing high ROF, large ammo complement, low alpha arties like M7 or M37, one can use exploratory fire (as Manic would have stated it), not only against enemy arties, but also against enemy TDs and campers, looking for the likely bushes from where a enemy could have shot a friendly. That bush in F7 in Malinovka is a classic.

* In Port, with many arties is pretty sure that 2 or 3 SPG will linger quite closer to spawn.

** After 10 battles playing arty in the same map, one would have a idea where those places are. If one has xvm, look for the places arty players in your team use.

Edited by sunday, 03 June 2013 - 0647 AM.

#6 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 0703 AM

Aarrgh. Now I know why I threw arty away - giving me an ulcer.

I suck on all maps, except on Live Oaks, where I actually get a good kill.... and a disconnect. I hate arty.

#7 sunday

sunday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,719 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 0747 AM

Arty playing rewards patience. And for those that are quite gone from teen to twenty-else years old, with diminished reflexes, it's the best way to play.

#8 jwduquette1

jwduquette1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 0843 AM

I think that the best arty players have a sense of the "grand tactical" goings on in a match.  They don't get tunnel vision and fixate on the zoomed in radar screen mode.  They are always looking at the mini map and adjusting their fires to crisis areas.  Tanks & TDs failing on a friendly flank -- a good SPG driver senses or sees it and immediately adjusts fire to this area of the map.  

One thing that irks the shyte out of me is SPG drivers that don't displace after a close call from a scout raid.  The green SPGs for some reason think they are safe cause' a friendly medium or light killed the raider.  Red SPGs love this.

#9 jwduquette1

jwduquette1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 0852 AM

The other SPG thing I wanted to add -- I always appreciate the SPG drivers that know the limitations of closed maps on their firing options, but will come in close to provide fire support.  Example: Himmelsdorf: the good SPG'ers will move up the hill to just below the crest line and provide indirect fires for the hill push.  It's risky for them cause they are pretty close to the shooting, but they can provide excellent indirect fire support to the hill battle with relatively unobstructed trajectories.  It's always irritating to hear SPGs drivers at the start of a Himmelsdorf match say "I hate this map cause I can't hit anything".  Yes you can, you just need to get a bit closer to the battle.  

Example 2:  Pearl River...I always appreciate the SPG drivers that get up close to the crucial choke point at B6 (or B8 -- whatever).  They get behind the push at B6 just below the crest line -- sometime sitting in the river itself.  They can provide excellent indirect fire support with relatively unobstructed trajectories.  But again they are very close to the front so a lot of marginal SPG drivers will not partake of this firing location.    

Edited by jwduquette1, 03 June 2013 - 0854 AM.

#10 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 1106 AM

I always appreciate good SPG-drivers, and never complain. I even sometimes defend them even if they play crappy.
But - my playtime is too valuable to:
- Be concerned when I think underperform.
- Explain to idiots why arty don't always get a gazillion kills.
- Explain to idiots that arty has a reload- and aim-time different than other tanks.
- Explain to idiots that an arty-piece can only fire one round at a time, and it can not always be where said idiots want it.

Arty is masochistic. I am not.

#11 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,768 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 03 June 2013 - 1953 PM

1. Higher Alpha and bigger splash always carry the day in arty - given its dispersion and aim time. A direct hit is usually a kill in the higher tiers or you inflict big damage, a miss usually detracks the target.

Both guns on the M41 have the same splash unless you're using the gold round on the top gun (which is insanely expensive - 10x more than the normal round on the stock gun).

#12 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,768 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 03 June 2013 - 1956 PM

OK, I may pick up the M41 again, just for kicks (getting abused by whiners is fun, yes?), some questions:

1. Gun. Why would I choose the 2nd gun (I have both unlocked)? First gun has higher rof, quicker aim. Yes, a bit less accurate, but it can fire HEAT!

My condolences.  I started playing the M41 recently once I weighed the costs of waiting till after the patch (it seemed worth it to grind it out now).  What a PoS.

As for the gun, I recently went back to the stock and seem to be doing better.  I'm just after XP now, so while my damage/game has gone down my win rate has gone up substantially over the last dozen games since I made the switch.  Still, it's too early to tell.  I've had equally long winning streaks with the old gun.  For sure neither seems to be the clear favorite.

I'd add in regards to moving after firing - do it.  Get into good habits.  I see almost no CB now compared to when I last played artillery over a year ago.  While you can never move and be fine in most games the good players will eventually punish you for it (and given RNG, even bad players will sometimes get lucky if you get lazy).

Edited by Skywalkre, 03 June 2013 - 2001 PM.

#13 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 0142 AM

Wtf!

First this:

Victory!
Map: Westfield
Date: den 4 juni 2013 07:44:48
Vehicle: M41
Exp: 808 + Credits: 22 345
Achievements: : Mastery Badge: "3rd Class"

And then this:

Victory!
Map: Malinovka
Date: den 4 juni 2013 07:51:51
Vehicle: M41
Exp: 1 045 + Credits: 36 175
Achievements: : Mastery Badge: "2nd Class"

Switched to best gun, not sure if the better accuracy or a night's sleep helped.

Perhaps will give arty another chance.

#14 toysoldier

toysoldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,129 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi, history, gameplay

Posted 04 June 2013 - 2129 PM

Most of times, when i´m the lowest ranked arty, i prefer to go CB and camper hunting. Like with the Priest, you aren't going to kill anything with a closed cabin, but everything else is your bitch to splash spam.

#15 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,752 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 0009 AM

This why i gave my arty sixth sense, you know without a doubt they saw you. I also move, even just forward and back after every shot it makes such a difference.

#16 Paul G.

Paul G.

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 1227 PM

:glare: I sold my M41.  Just was not fun any more.

#17 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 1259 PM

Wait 30 seconds or more between shots and have RNG be the deciding factor in whether you hit or not.  What's not fun about that?!  :P

#18 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,752 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 1331 PM

yea arty is almost pointless now, the chances of hitting a target on the move is almost zero unless you get really lucky. Will keep the Sexton for awhile, but once I finish the Hummel I will sell and not buy another one till they fix arty

#19 Loopycrank

Loopycrank

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 0352 AM

To play arty now you have to be at the top of your game all the time.  Here's what I've learned/am trying to learn:

-Don't waste your time on low-probability shots.  The reload time nerf and splash nerf make it completely pointless; you'll just waste a reload cycle.

-You have the all-seeing omniscient overhead view.  Use this to point out to your situational-awareness-challenged allies where the light tanks are.  Your close-combat ability has been so nerfed that you have no chance whatsoever if one slips through.

-Shoot at the most dangerous target available.  Your ability to influence battles is subtle, but it's still strong.  Take aim at that full health IS-7 rather than the 75% health IS-3.  Getting nailed by artillery fire cools off the ardor of an enemy, and crippling their top-tier assets makes a big difference later in the game.

#20 sunday

sunday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,719 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 0405 AM

I got sniper with a Obj-261 past week, and have destroyed plenty of light and medium tanks. Bat-Chats are oneshottable quite easily. Also, I'll try to go for the kill, if some tanks are in a good position and friendlies have problems hitting them.

One thing that helps playing arty is to go to the highest ground you could reach, and try to avoid targets that are at the same height that you or higher. The aiming ellipse gets  way shorter.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users