I only CB looking for tracers in games with 3+ arties by side. The reasons are multiple:
1. In some maps (e.g. Port*, Artic Region) there are limited good places** to put arty, so if there is a lot of SPG, one or two will be in one. If some got in bad arty places, they can not contribute significantly to the game, so it is like they were AFK.
2. Killing one or two enemy arties at game beginning make many arty players nervous, and they have to move, relocate, seek not so good spots, etc., so that one or two killings will suppress enemy arty.
3. With large number of arties per team, the other vehicles are more reluctant to put themselves in artillery beaten areas, so the arty driver has less targets, or none, to aim to, so it makes sense spending time looking for tracers.
4. In games with one or two arties per side looking for tracers has very little return, as if you are looking for tracers you are not damaging enemy tanks, tanks that are less afraid of one or two arties, and so more eager to move to arty beaten places in order to damage your team.
Of course, if they remove arty tracers in 8.6, this discussion is merely theoretical. But if playing high ROF, large ammo complement, low alpha arties like M7 or M37, one can use exploratory fire (as Manic would have stated it), not only against enemy arties, but also against enemy TDs and campers, looking for the likely bushes from where a enemy could have shot a friendly. That bush in F7 in Malinovka is a classic.
* In Port, with many arties is pretty sure that 2 or 3 SPG will linger quite closer to spawn.
** After 10 battles playing arty in the same map, one would have a idea where those places are. If one has xvm, look for the places arty players in your team use.
Edited by sunday, 03 June 2013 - 0647 AM.