57 replies to this topic

#41 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,231 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 1631 PM

Aside from obvious ones like the Israeli army rations being kosher, do any armies make any effort to accommodate vegetarian/vegan/halal etc. preferences with their rations, or do you just get what you're given?

https://www.dailymai...od-solider.html

Australian Army under fire for giving soldiers Halal-certified ration packs with Arabic branding - upsetting soldiers who fought in the Middle East
  • The Australian Army criticised for feeding soldiers Halal-certified ration packs
  • Food including Bega cheese, was given to soldiers with Arabic labels over it 
  • Former army major slammed the decision, saying it would divide army moral 
  • Of the 60,000 Australian Defence Force members, less than 200 are Muslim

The Australia Army has come under fire for giving soldiers ration packs with Arabic labels.

The food being fed to the Army is Halal-certified but is not sitting well with soldiers who fought in the Middle East.

In ration packs given to Australian soldiers this week, Arabic labelled products were found including Halal-certified Bega cheese, 7 News reported.

Four of the twelve battle meal menu options are Halal-certified which came into play in early 2016 as a move to meet more dietary requirements. 

In February last year, Lieutenant General Angus J Campbell told Daily Mail Australia the rations were 'specifically manufactured' for 'religious considerations'.  

'Combat ration packs are not about political correctness ... [they] are about our people,' he said.

Of 60,000 members of the ADF, there are reportedly less than 200 Muslim soldiers.

While many are disputing the decision to feed soldiers Arabic labelled products, some people have backed the idea saying it could potentially help break down any cultural barriers between countries.   

Mr Campbell claimed last year the Halal-certified ration packs would mean Australian soldiers could share food with local communities. 

Daily Mail Australia contacted the Australian Defence Force for comment.

#42 R011

R011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,759 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 2043 PM

Unless they have made the labelling entirely bilingual instead of a small halal notation, I am surprised this is an issue.

#43 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,231 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 0216 AM

There is no completely vegetarian pack, and nothing remotely vegan.

An interesting aside is that you cannot buy Bega canned cheese in Australia and every overseas stockist won't ship it to Australia.

a little strange

Edited by DougRichards, 05 May 2019 - 0218 AM.

#44 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,775 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 0551 AM

I noted that there were a beef (supposedly halal) version of the meals locally. Thing is, most local muslims did not care and ate pork, probably helped by the fact that pork version of practically everything tasted better.

Formally, if you were vegetarian army would have to accomodate to it, but I don't know of any vegetarian that went to an army service, probably helped by a fact they are a - rare (I know only two and both are females) and b - most of them would try to avoid army service, even when it was mandatory.

#45 Adam_S

Adam_S

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 0627 AM

Well, from what I can gather of the infamous vomlet, it sounds like the rest of the squad would be only too happy to share but if, say, a helicopter drops off a pallet of MREs at some forward operating base in Derkaderkastan somewhere, do they just get what they're given or is there some kind of effort made to make sure they've got a bit of variety?

#46 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,688 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 1013 AM

An interesting aside is that you cannot buy Bega canned cheese in Australia and every overseas stockist won't ship it to Australia.

a little strange

You can't buy Australian produced cheese in Australia?

#47 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,483 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 1017 AM

For American rations, at least, meals are packed so that there is no more than two of the same ration in a case, and ideally unit leadership tries to ensure that distribution and/or selection of the meals is random.  With C-rats, the cases were supposed to be opened from the bottom,so troops could not see which meal they were pulling out.

For variety, there are usually 12 different meals being produced at any given time.  New menus are introduced and retired on a regular basis.

#48 rohala

rohala

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 1018 AM

Aside from obvious ones like the Israeli army rations being kosher, do any armies make any effort to accommodate vegetarian/vegan/halal etc. preferences with their rations, or do you just get what you're given?

I am not aware of the Greek Army having such sensitivities.

#49 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,181 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 1205 PM

Well, from what I can gather of the infamous vomlet, it sounds like the rest of the squad would be only too happy to share but if, say, a helicopter drops off a pallet of MREs at some forward operating base in Derkaderkastan somewhere, do they just get what they're given or is there some kind of effort made to make sure they've got a bit of variety?

Probably depends on how shitty the folks are up the supply chain are.

#50 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,231 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 1704 PM

a little strange

You can't buy Australian produced cheese in Australia?

Not that cheese

The closest thing, made by the same company, is the can that comes in a pack of cheesymac, which is a thick cheese sauce, about 50% cheese.

Edited by DougRichards, 05 May 2019 - 1706 PM.

#51 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 1002 AM

Not sure how it works these days, but in the early 90s there were enough generations* of MREs in the system that it was rare to get stuck with the same meal choices day after day.  I'm not sure how the grunts and arty guys distributed the meals, but tank crews just got a case every few days.  Since the cases carry twelve meals and we usually got at least two hot meals a day it worked out pretty well.  During the ground war in ODS we ate MREs 3 meals a day but since everyone on my crew had different tastes finding one you could tolerate wasn't a problem.  The ones no one would eat (Chicken Cacciatore stands out in my memory) went into a box along with the odds and ends from the accessory packs and such.  Even if the main meal sucked the crackers and stuff made for a radio watch snack.

Where supply could fuck you was in the available T-Rations.  The way my supply sgt. explained it was that larger units got first choice at the distribution sites.  Since combat arms units tended to have the lowest headcount the popular meals tended to be gone before their turn came up.  Add to that, that the company I was in was cross attached to an infantry bn which made us the lowest headcount unit in the bn and the meals were not particularly diverse.  The pattern seemed to be Chili and Rice for 4 nights in a row then a break for something else and then another string of Chili and Rice. 

*It seemed like every 2 or 4 years some meals were added and some removed.  Plus there were changes to accessory packets and other odds and ends.

Edited by Harold Jones, 06 May 2019 - 1014 AM.

#52 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,483 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 1348 PM

Then there were a few particularly obnoxious tank crews who somehow ended up with rations containing bean components with suspicious frequency...

#53 Redbeard

Redbeard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 1239 PM

In my time in the RDA (80s and 90s) all field kitchens had long since been scrapped and we relied on 24 hour rations for field use. Canned meals and bread, meat, cheese etc to make sandwhices. A little pack of crackers, the chocolate bar and a bag of fruit "pulp" were especially popular as you could eat them in the foxhole or standing in the hatch of your vehicle. The canned meals lost any attractivity after a week but I usually had a motorcycle orderly at my disposal - and he could always find a butcher and a baker.

I also recall that we were told at the officers school to always keep the men informed. Some used time to tell them in detail about the greater manoeuvres of the exercise - most couldn't care less - but tell them that the orderly will bring fresh meat tonight and we have a shower tomorrow - and you have their full attention  :D

Edited by Redbeard, 05 June 2019 - 1239 PM.

#54 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 25,772 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 1855 PM

Where supply could fuck you was in the available T-Rations.  The way my supply sgt. explained it was that larger units got first choice at the distribution sites.  Since combat arms units tended to have the lowest headcount the popular meals tended to be gone before their turn came up.  Add to that, that the company I was in was cross attached to an infantry bn which made us the lowest headcount unit in the bn and the meals were not particularly diverse.  The pattern seemed to be Chili and Rice for 4 nights in a row then a break for something else and then another string of Chili and Rice. 

We had shrimp every day, twice a day, for a week or 10 days.  We had shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, pepper shrimp, coconut shrimp.  Then we had shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes.....

The best meal our platoon had was when we traded toiletry articles to some Bedouins for roasted goat.

#55 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,181 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 0423 AM

We had shrimp every day, twice a day, for a week or 10 days.  We had shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, pepper shrimp, coconut shrimp.  Then we had shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes.....

The best meal our platoon had was when we traded toiletry articles to some Bedouins for roasted goat.

giphy.gif

#56 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 1403 PM

Came across this https://www.popularm...combat-rations/  they creep ever closer to the Jetson's style food pill.

#57 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,688 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 1956 PM

Came across this https://www.popularm...combat-rations/  they creep ever closer to the Jetson's style food pill.

pmx070119mre-03-1561562523.jpg?resize=76

#58 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,483 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 2254 PM

pmx070119mre-03-1561562523.jpg?resize=76
There still needs to be plenty of water for rehydration or drinking. The ration will soak up water from somewhere. If from the soldiers body, he will have a miserable day.

Edited by shep854, 02 July 2019 - 2257 PM.