4184 replies to this topic

#3961 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 1806 PM

That diner isn't worth preserving. It has a kitschy look that is no different than your average Denny's.

There are 3 other 'Googie' style buildings in the city as it is, one is more or less just down the street.  

#3962 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 1454 PM

This one I find fairly amusing https://www.pacificr...at-the-airport/  the policy is pure California green theater but the arguments about "Large and bulky" refillable water bottles and contaminated water fountains are pretty sill as well.  I use a steel water bottle, but not out of any concern for environment.  Mostly I carry it because I think buying water when most of the places I go have perfectly safe drinking water from the tap is king of dumb.

#3963 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,853 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 1800 PM

That diner isn't worth preserving. It has a kitschy look that is no different than your average Denny's.

There are 3 other 'Googie' style buildings in the city as it is, one is more or less just down the street.  

I'm willing to bet they are stopping the sale on behalf of environmentalist concerns.

#3964 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 1913 PM

Nah, standard NIMBY crap. Everybody is for high density housing until someone wants to put an apartment building in their neighborhood.

#3965 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,853 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 1931 PM

Nah, standard NIMBY crap. Everybody is for high density housing until someone wants to put an apartment building in their neighborhood.

True.

My dad bought a lot with a hodge podge of poorly-maintained housing types including duplexes, bungalows, and a craftsman home that hadn't been lived in in 50 years.

He just wanted to demolish it all to make condos, similar to the large development immediately behind it.

Neighborhood association said "nope," they preferred the rundown structures instead.

#3966 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,589 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 1102 AM

This one I find fairly amusing https://www.pacificr...at-the-airport/  the policy is pure California green theater but the arguments about "Large and bulky" refillable water bottles and contaminated water fountains are pretty sill as well.  I use a steel water bottle, but not out of any concern for environment.  Mostly I carry it because I think buying water when most of the places I go have perfectly safe drinking water from the tap is king of dumb.

You hate capitalism! You undermine the rightful profits of the water thieves. ;)

#3967 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,221 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 1149 AM

The last place I worked had a water fountain set up for refilling containers, complete with an inline filter. Problem was that the company didn't have any on-site maintenance, facilities was managed by an airhead* at corporate. Filter was never changed after 5 years. Water smelled like Louisiana ditch water.

Where I live, the tap water is fairly drinkable. But I have gotten into the habit of keeping a gallon jug of spring water (Ozarka FTW) in the fridge. The taste difference is substantial. I find myself drinking a lot more spring water rather than reaching for the jug of unsweet iced tea.

I try to avoid tap water anywhere where the customer base is temporary (restaurants etc) or the maintenance standards are crappy. Of course, I also live in a county where "boil water" notices are monthly.

* As it turns out, a crooked airhead. Backdated contracts, reneged on other contracts, etc. But she works at corporate, so teflon.

#3968 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,344 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 0657 AM

Over here we're getting spammed at work with "the green alternative to plastic bottles".

That's apparently aluminium cans with a plastic resealable tab lid.

Because apparently recycling aluminium is better than recycling plastic.

Refilling plastic water bottles from the company-provided (and well maintained) inline water chiller is not considered.

I'd prefer that we went back to bottles being made of glass (and deposit/return) rather than this dumbassery

#3969 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,989 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 0723 AM

Over here we're getting spammed at work with "the green alternative to plastic bottles".

Refilling plastic water bottles from the company-provided (and well maintained) inline water chiller is not considered.

I'd prefer that we went back to bottles being made of glass (and deposit/return) rather than this dumbassery

Couldn't agree more.

#3970 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,221 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 0915 AM

The somewhat rednecky small city I now live in has recycling (they're so inbred, the blue can is regular garbage and the dark green can is normal trash). However, they are only interested in recycling material wherein they can turn a profit. So mainly they want aluminum cans. They won't touch glass bottles, and they are touchy about the type and grade of plastic. So of course everything goes in the regular trash.

#3971 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,344 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 0923 AM

I am keen to see recycling if it reduces the overall cost of garbage collection.

Sadly, the fundamental reason for collecting garbage seems to have been lost - it's a public health measure, which is why government runs it. Anything else is secondary to that.

In London, in particular, because of the cost associated with disposing of general waste, they often refuse to collect over-filled bins, won't collect anything that isn't in the "official" bin, impose local fines on people who use spare space in other people's bins and actively search the contents of public bins for names and addresses so they can prosecute people for not using their own bins instead.

This isn't a partisan issue - all of that has happened under Red Ken Livingstone and Boris Johnson and seems also to be independent of London Borough level local government.

Locally, they're not so bad but I do have four different bins so I can perform the basic labour sorting task. I pay a significant sum for the privilege of washing and sorting my own recyclable rubbish, in the full knowledge that if that week it's not profitable to recycle it, the subcontractor paid to do all this will just landfill it anyway.

And don't get me started on garden waste.

#3972 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,221 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 1234 PM

Locally, they're not so bad but I do have four different bins so I can perform the basic labour sorting task. I pay a significant sum for the privilege of washing and sorting my own recyclable rubbish, in the full knowledge that if that week it's not profitable to recycle it, the subcontractor paid to do all this will just landfill it anyway.

A couple of decades ago, I used to work with the wife of a guy who was the city contract administrator for garbage collection. The company with the contract shall remain nameless, let's call 'em Big Effin' Industry. At the time I was naive and more cooperative with recycling measures, but I found that the recycling truck guys would fish through the tub and just pull out the valuables, leaving stuff like newspapers and milk jugs (LDPE). I mentioned it to the guy, and he said to put in a complaint to the city. Apparently a constant issue. While outsourcing can save some money, this guy essentially had a full time job just wrangling with the aforementioned big blue trucks and dealing with yard waste*.

* That particular city had an amazing system for yard waste. They had this big mulching facility, and sold something like 3 different types of mulch created from lawn clippings, tree cuttings, and leaves. Surprisingly competent for that particular city.

#3973 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 1416 PM

.......... the recycling truck guys would fish through the tub and just pull out the valuables, leaving stuff like newspapers and milk jugs (LDPE). 

I may be the only one but I really don't have a problem with this.

#3974 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,221 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 1459 PM

The big blue truck company was contracted to take a whole list of materials, not just those with the highest resale value. The city, wisely enough, was trying to minimize total volume of trash going to the dump, as this area had very limited land for landfill.

And if you think about it, the additional cost of having the truck guys fishing though the box while the truck was idling there (time is money, after all), quite possibly outweighed the financial gains to Big Blue.

#3975 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,177 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 1644 PM

A friend’s wife is a local school teacher. She tried to get a tour of the sorting facility only to be informed that it had been shut down. There isn’t any demand for the quality of recyclable waste we have in our area. So we pay for recycle-able material to be collected in separate trucks, only to be mixed together into the land fill. she was spitting mad when she figured out the reality.

Personally. i use plastic where it needs to be good for long term storage. I like that a few plastic bottles can rattle around in my trunk and be known good a year later. Otherwise its military canteens, Nalgene bottles and some stainless bottles.

#3976 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 2236 PM

Where I live, garbage collection is done by private companies.  There are 3 or 4 to choose among.  Basic garbage collection runs about $40 a month and recycling is a $15 a month surcharge.   Recycling is single stream so everything goes in one or more bins and is picked up twice a month, everything else goes to the curb, in bins or bags as you choose.  They prefer that you use those wheelie bins but they'll pick up about any container.  The company I use told me if I put anything big out like an old fridge or wardrobe to call them so they could send an extra guy on the truck.  As far as I know the metals are separated from the rest of the recyclables and the non metallic recyclables eventually end up in a landfill since there isn't actually a market for the plastic, paper and glass, especially since it is contaminated with food waste more often than not.

#3977 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 0423 AM

I've always thought of separating recyclables as a good job for those wanting welfare checks.

#3978 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,177 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 0745 AM

You’d think. That and trash pickup on the streets, power washing sidewalks, etc. but the Liberal bastions are the nastiest cities. Trash everywhere, soiled, smelling of urine and rotten food.

#3979 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 1433 PM

You’d think. That and trash pickup on the streets, power washing sidewalks, etc. but the Liberal bastions are the nastiest cities. Trash everywhere, soiled, smelling of urine and rotten food.

Unions don't like that either...takes away their jobs.

#3980 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,853 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 1842 PM

I've always thought of separating recyclables as a good job for those wanting welfare checks.

Illegals usually do that.