• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#161 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,081 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 30 September 2016 - 1114 AM

Its maddening that Microsoft makes it a PITA to manage big updates like AU. Just let me download it once and apply it in a controlled fashion.

#162 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,657 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary armor - tactics and technology

Posted 30 September 2016 - 1735 PM

If they let you control it, they couldn't.

#163 Garry Redmon

Garry Redmon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:Armor, Military History, Patton Museum, AFV restoration and preservation

Posted 01 October 2016 - 0910 AM

Had a Win 10 upgrade last night. This morning I get error message from Microsoft Security Client error code 0x80070570. Also error message pops up fast and goes away before I can read it. Something about Node and Java script. Computer seems to work fine and programs open up but my Start button is dead. Have rebooted with power button several times and that doesn't help. Checking on the web about error message and most everything says it is a common problem, download my PC repair program, etc. etc. and it will be fixed. Others say open Start Menu and do blah, blah. Since I can't open Start Menu, that doesn't help me.

Anybody else have this problem and know of a fix?

Garry

#164 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,081 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 01 October 2016 - 2042 PM

I assume by "Start button is dead" you mean that when you left-click it, the Start menu does not appear?

What happens when you right-click the Start button?

#165 Garry Redmon

Garry Redmon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:Armor, Military History, Patton Museum, AFV restoration and preservation

Posted 01 October 2016 - 2115 PM

Nothing either. I'll get on one of the Windows/MS help boards tomorrow and see if they have a solution. I decided to try Tanknet first since everyone here is knowledgeable about most computer issues.

Garry

#166 nabqrules

nabqrules

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Astronomy, Computers, Gaming, Military History...

Posted 01 October 2016 - 2139 PM

Well this latest batch of updates is really crappy, we've had a lot of PC's  brought to the shop because of the bad updates. One thing to try is see if Win + X (win = windows key) and see if a different  menu loads up. Same thing for right clicking on start menu. That may at least get you to a place to shut down. Ctrl+alt+del will bring up a menu where you may be able to shut down that method.

Now there is a rebuild script out there that will repair the Window 10 APPS (Cortana/start menu) but that's doesn't usually resolve it.

#167 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 2155 PM

Do you get the mini-menu when you type WIN + x? That will get you to Command Prompt (Admin) and then we can go from there.

#168 Garry Redmon

Garry Redmon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 1015 AM

Negative on WIN + X. Nothing happens. No menu.

I did Ctrl-Alt-Del just to see what would happen and this popped up: "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown pulisher to make changes to your device?  Taskmgr.exe"

Unknown publisher? It's like Windows doesn't recognize itself.

Garry

#169 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 1213 PM

You may need to create a bootable thumb drive with the Win10 installation image, and use the "Repair your computer" option. I am guessing that System File Checker may fix some things...

#170 nabqrules

nabqrules

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Astronomy, Computers, Gaming, Military History...

Posted 02 October 2016 - 1824 PM

What may also be going on are that the file permissions for your Profile are corrupt. I would try "Repair your computer" option first, but if that is to no avail, it's possible to create a new user or at least get access to the admin account from command prompt (which you'd need the install image to get to anyway)

#171 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,336 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 02 October 2016 - 2122 PM

I noticed, if I let Windows update as per schedule, it hangs. But if I choose "Restart Now," the update proceeds smoothly.

#172 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  • Interests:material engineering, composite armor, GPC, battletank technology

Posted 03 October 2016 - 1140 AM

That's horrible :-( why do people put up with it?

#173 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,598 posts
  • Interests:WW2, armoured combat history, 3D CGI, motorsports

Posted 03 October 2016 - 1245 PM

No choice?

I will be keeping 7 as long as possible but I'm tied to windows because all my software is windows-only, so if I'm forced to move from 7 I just don't know what I'm going to do.

#174 Garry Redmon

Garry Redmon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 1329 PM

Thank you all for the concern and suggestions. I've got a work-around. I accessed the Control Panel by doing a search of the hard drive and created a shortcut and if I have to, I can search and access anything else the same way. Duh.

Since I don't hardly turn off my computer, I don't have an immediate need to shut down or restart. Instead I'm going to wait and see if the next update has a fix for the current situation. If not, I'll have to do the "Repair your Computer" option then.

So much for the free Windows 10 upgrade. Ugh. I still liked 7.

Garry

#175 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 2039 PM

Lordy, it took forever on my desktop system, and then I had to go in and turn off spyware, and uninstall MS crapware they added. 

#176 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,657 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary armor - tactics and technology

Posted 05 October 2016 - 0338 AM

I will be keeping 7 as long as possible but I'm tied to windows because all my software is windows-only, so if I'm forced to move from 7 I just don't know what I'm going to do.

Migrate to Win 10 Professional, set up virtual Win 7 machines and work from there. Where it's IT security-critical, compartmentalize.

#177 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 0748 AM

Windows 10 Anniversary broke the webcam on Lupe's new computer, I had to roll it back completely.  Actually it was so bad, I had to take it back to Best Buy and get the Geek Squad guys to get it to work again.  It is crap like this that makes me really HATE microsoft.  The whole purpose of the new computer (other than me not having to stoke coal into the boiler to make her old one boot up), was to allow her to Skype Victoria at college.  Now, since I had installed all her software such as Office, Libre Office, etc AFTER I had d/l'ed the stupid Anniversary update, I am having to do it all over again.  PITA.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users